Is Tauck River Cruises worth the $$$?

dcl1710

Scenic also includes gratuities in their cruise fare.

Uniworld includes transfers even if you make your own air arrangements - but only on day of embarkation and disembarkation.

If the decision comes down to cost, a spread sheet is a great way to go - as you can decide what the "real" cost is that way.

tennisfan: we just did a tour in Moscow through "Tours by Locals" - after a recommendation by someone here on CC. Another option is looking at guide books such as Rick Steeves, or Frommer's.

We've done a Tauck land tour and a Viking river cruise. We loved both but, when doing another river cruise, booked Viking. Here's why.

Tauck is a GREAT full-service tour. They take care of everything. From the minute you arrive at the airport until the minute you leave, they are there for you. Hotels are first class. Tours are great. Fellow travelers are seasoned/veterans. You may get a few "insider" tours, which are nice. It's an upscale vacation all the way.

For example, in a land tour, you get to eat in the hotel's best restaurants. You leave your suitcases in your room in the morning and they appear on your bus. You have a guide with you at all times to address issues. Smooth, flawless.

However, for river cruising, you'll get almost the same thing from any of the mainstream companies. Yes, you might get slightly nicer accommodations on the Tauck ships and you might get better tours.

However, having done Viking and Tauck, I can't really imagine that Tauck offers so much more on a river cruise to justify the significant additional cost. And I would guess the same is true for the other river cruise lines.

IF you plan to do a land/cruise tour, it might make sense to do Tauck. Otherwise, honestly, save your money. Take Tauck if you want a land tour or land/sea tour. The land portion is, IMO, where they shine.

ggo85, Not to be rude, but how can you compare Tauck river v Viking river if you have not done both?

You are right about the extras Tauck offers, I've never heard about those from Viking.

To be honest I don't use price as a criteria so have not done the spread sheets others have; they seem to think the difference is minimal.

I am sure Viking's new boats are wonderful, but looking at their old ones as we passed thru on our AMS-BUD cruise at dockings no comparison.

How do you find your private tour guides for your cities? thank you

Use the search feature on this forum as well as the Ports of Call forum for lots of good suggestions.

Also the boards at Fodors.com and Trip Advisor.

Post here and ask but many threads exist on this subject. I found my excellent Prague guide here, my Budapest guide as well. For other part of Europe I have gotten great advice on other travel sites.

Archived