A family celebration - advice please!

Nylsor

Although we have cruised with Princess to SE Asia and the Caribbean we are considering a 7 night Alaskan cruise with HAL in early September 2013. This will be to celebrate my 65 B/D and our D/D 35th, our 45th W/A and our DD & SIL 10th W/A so we are taking them along with us. They have never cruised before. They are not disco / all-night party folk so we are not concerned that they will need this form of entertainment. They are both professionals and are very well-travelled, particularly in Africa. We like the look of the 7 night round trip from Vancouver on the Zuiderdam.What I hope you well-informed folk will tell us is the following:

- we want verandah staterooms - which is the best deck and position on the ship?

- we would like Anytime dining ( not sure of what it's called on HAL) - do you choose this when booking?

- do you have the opportunity to book excursions online 90 days out as at Princess?

- to anyone who has been to Alaska, what excursions would you recommend?

We are combining this cruise with a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer and we would like it be a great family celebration and the holiday of a lifetime. Any help and advice will be truly appreciated.

I will do my best - as to stateroom location on the Zuiderdam, I would recommend deck five or six - as most of the cabins have cabins above and below them (check you exact location to be sure). Also, get as close to the midship elevators as you can, but just not right next to them (the elevators are glass, outside of the ship and you can see part of the closest balcony.

Anytime dining - choose when you book, but this should not be a problem to get.

Must to do IMO - helicopter to top of glacier in Junneau. Expensive but you will not regret the money spent.

DaveOKC

You didn't mention how large of a verandah cabin you are interested in - there are several different categories.

Agree -- select cabin midship -- about 3 away from the elevators.

Juneau -- helicopter rides are great. This is also a great port to go whale watching. We have done the ship's excursion and also independently with Orga Enterprises. Both were great.

Skagway -- White Pass and Yukon Railroad -- great scenery. Again you can book this through the ship or independently. I just read in another section that a couple are not able to book this tour independently -- sold out 3 months in advance.

Ketchikan -- Saxman Village, Totem Bight, walk along Creek Street.

Although we have cruised with Princess to SE Asia and the Caribbean we are considering a 7 night Alaskan cruise with HAL in early September 2013. This will be to celebrate my 65 B/D and our D/D 35th, our 45th W/A and our DD & SIL 10th W/A so we are taking them along with us. They have never cruised before. They are not disco / all-night party folk so we are not concerned that they will need this form of entertainment. They are both professionals and are very well-travelled, particularly in Africa. We like the look of the 7 night round trip from Vancouver on the Zuiderdam.What I hope you well-informed folk will tell us is the following:

- we want verandah staterooms - which is the best deck and position on the ship?

Rotterdam Deck (7)

- we would like Anytime dining ( not sure of what it's called on HAL) - do you choose this when booking?

Yes

- do you have the opportunity to book excursions online 90 days out as at Princess?

Yes

Do at least one helicopter trip up to a glacier

We are combining this cruise with a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer and we would like it be a great family celebration and the holiday of a lifetime. Any help and advice will be truly appreciated.

The helicopter excursions in Juneau is a once in a life time trip. Though expensive, it is well worth doing especially when your trying to make it that kind of a trip.

White Pass and Yukon Railroad is a must type excursion in Skagway. Shopping in Ketchikan.

The one question that I do not see answered yet for you is when you can purchase Shore excursions. I see that you reside in the U.K so not sure if this will make a difference but it should not. HAL shore excursions can be purchase on line way before Final Payment normally when they have the Shore Excursions contracts with the vendors wrapped up for that up coming season. For this years Alaska cruises it was about January I believe when we could start to select and purchase Shore excursions. You will have even longer since your cruise is not till September. You will have close to 9 months:) The other thing that is very different from Princess in regards to Shore Excursions is that with HAL when you select your Shore Excursions you also pay for it in full. Unlike Princess that you can select but you are not charge for the Shore Excursions till you are on the cruise and it appears on you on board expenses. I think you will find HAL's Shore Excursions web site easy to use, with a lot of information, I think a bit more than Princess.

I sailed the Alaska 7 night cruise on the Zuiderdam this year and we enjoyed it so much we are already booked to do the same for next year.

If you wish you can read my Live from the Zuiderdam postings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1630193

My dear Sis did a Ketchikan bear flightseeing excursion through HAL that was outstanding.

Occasionally there is rainy or foggy weather in Juneau that causes cancellation of the glacier flightseeing excursions. One option might be to schedule a whale watch in the morning. (We did this on our rainy day in Juneau last summer with Harv and Marv and saw many whales.) You could then reserve a glacier flightseeing excursion for the afternoon, either with Harv and Marv or with another company. That way, your entire day might be great or you might have only one disappointment if the weather doesn't cooperate. (One couple with us on the whale watch had their afternoon glacier flightseeing cancelled due to fog. They were so very glad that they had enjoyed the morning whale watch.)

Archived