Whale Watch with Weather Permitting/Mendenhall Glacier

am2

Have a whale watching tour booked with Captain Greg from Weather Permitting Alaska at the beginning of July and am just trying to make sure I know what to expect. Would love to hear from others who have done the same tour. I know he will pick us up from the ship (Zuiderdam) at 1:30 and the tour lasts 4 hours. Anything in particular we need to bring with us? It will be my parents, DH and I, and two kids ages 10 and 8.

After the tour, Captain Greg will drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier. We'll check out the visitor center (I believe it's open until 7:30pm) and maybe take a hike (how long can we expect this to take? will there likely be others there in the evening? any risk of bears wanting to eat us?). I remember reading that there's a shuttle back to the ship but that it stops running at 6pm. Is that correct? If so, we'll need to get a taxi back. Will there be taxis there or will we need to call one- and do they have minivan taxis or will we need two? We'll get snacks on the whale watching tour, but should we bring along some extra food? I won't have a problem eating brownies for "dinner" but DH will. Of course we can eat later on the ship. We don't depart Juneau until 10:30pm.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi

We are going with Captain Greg on June 22nd. I can let you know how it is. we are a group of 12- I wanted to get dropped off at Mendenhall after out tour, but Greg said he could not do that- perhaps he has plans or something. But, I think the visitor center closes at 7pm.

Okay, please do let me know how it goes! We don't arrive in Juneau until 1pm, so we have to do Mendenhall Glacier after the whale watching. Hmm, Captain Greg told me it wouldn't be a problem. Hope that's still the case! Have fun on your trip!

BTW, we will go to Mendenhall via taxi in the AM. Out Whale watching tour starts at 1pm. I understand cabs are plentiful.

Cabs are "plentiful" at the DOCK. There is no cab line at Mendenhall. You have to call one, or prearrange a pick up.

Have a whale watching tour booked with Captain Greg from Weather Permitting Alaska at the beginning of July and am just trying to make sure I know what to expect. Would love to hear from others who have done the same tour. I know he will pick us up from the ship (Zuiderdam) at 1:30 and the tour lasts 4 hours. Anything in particular we need to bring with us? It will be my parents, DH and I, and two kids ages 10 and 8.

After the tour, Captain Greg will drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier. We'll check out the visitor center (I believe it's open until 7:30pm) and maybe take a hike (how long can we expect this to take? will there likely be others there in the evening? any risk of bears wanting to eat us?). I remember reading that there's a shuttle back to the ship but that it stops running at 6pm. Is that correct? If so, we'll need to get a taxi back. Will there be taxis there or will we need to call one- and do they have minivan taxis or will we need two? We'll get snacks on the whale watching tour, but should we bring along some extra food? I won't have a problem eating brownies for "dinner" but DH will. Of course we can eat later on the ship. We don't depart Juneau until 10:30pm.

Thanks for any advice!

Bring a jacket, binoculars, rain gear if needed.

The visitor center at Mendenhall is $3pp. Allow an hour to walk Nugget Falls. Yes, you have to be aware of bears. Be noisy. There are no cabs lined up at Mendenhall. You will have to have a few phone numbers with you- listings http://www.traveljuneau.com and call or prearrange a pick up. If you need a van, then I would prearrange a pick up.

Great tips, thanks!

We don't have open seating on the ship, we have early seating at 5:30pm, so we'll definitely need to be back in time for the buffet. Good to know it closes at 8:30pm.

I'll look into prearranging the cab. If they pick us up at 7:30pm, we should have plenty of time to get back to the ship and eat at the buffet, correct?

Gr

I'll look into prearranging the cab. If they pick us up at 7:30pm, we should have plenty of time to get back to the ship and eat at the buffet, correct?

Plenty?? It is a 20 minute ride Mendenhall to the docks. Then line up, get through your ship security? Run right to the buffet?? :) Ships that I have been on, close those buffets right on time.

But, in my opinion, who cares, I just about never eat in dining rooms any more and skip a few meals. Alaska is what it is all about for me. Sounds like it may be for you too. :)

Why not just eat in Juneau? Twisted Fish is right on the dock, so is Tracy's, the Hanger etc. All excellent food.

We have a similar problem ,we are on the Zuiderdam and will be in Juneau

25th June.We have been offered a whale trip 3.30pm - 6.00 and we would also like to go to Mendenhall .

If we go to Mendelhall after the trip the visitors centre will be closed . We will not have much time before the whale trip to do Mendenhall as the ship docks at 1.00pm

The whale trip company can drop us off at Mendenhall after the boat trip but we would have to arrange our own transport back to the ship and we are unsure how much time we will need to do Mendenhall.

Any suggestions as to how to arrange the day ?

25th June.We have been offered a whale trip 3.30pm - 6.00 and we would also like to go to Mendenhall .

If we go to Mendelhall after the trip the visitors centre will be closed . We will not have much time before the whale trip to do Mendenhall as the ship docks at 1.00pm

The whale trip company can drop us off at Mendenhall after the boat trip but we would have to arrange our own transport back to the ship and we are unsure how much time we will need to do Mendenhall.

In my opinion, if you have yourself ready to go when the ship docks, meaning, in line, have all your stuff- ready to step out, you should have enough time at Mendenhall before your whale watch. Your current pick up time is from the Juneau docks. Pick ups at Mendenhall will be at least 3:45pm

An hour is the average time for the Nugget Falls trail. Budget up to $40 for a cab, one way.

The whole whale watching trip is 2 1/2 hours? All the trips I looked at were at least 4 hours. What company are you using? Could they pick you up at Mendenhall?

Just saw your other posts re: whale watching. We booked our tour with Weather Permitting back in Jan., but have you checked with them to see if anything is available? Good luck with your search!

Plenty?? It is a 20 minute ride Mendenhall to the docks. Then line up, get through your ship security? Run right to the buffet?? :) Ships that I have been on, close those buffets right on time.

But, in my opinion, who cares, I just about never eat in dining rooms any more and skip a few meals. Alaska is what it is all about for me. Sounds like it may be for you too. :)

Why not just eat in Juneau? Twisted Fish is right on the dock, so is Tracy's, the Hanger etc. All excellent food.

Okay, point taken! Yes, I think we'll have plenty of meals in the dining room and buffet. I think we might end up at one of the restaurants you mentioned- assuming we're not all too tired from the day. Could we get food to-go from them if we need to?

My DH and I just returned from Alaska and did a whale watch with Weather Permitting and Captain Greg. We enjoyed seeing the whales we did, just one group of a mom and baby playing for a few minutes, we were quite close. After this encounter we saw no other whales, this was disappointing. We took a 40 min boat ride at full speed in the gloomy rainy weather. We saw a few eagles and sea lions near the dock area. Our guide seemed content with the first sighting but for a 3 hour tour we expected more. Could keep warm in the cabin and there were nice snacks and cold drinks and a bathroom. The problem, I think, was our expectations. People from our ship who took the cruise line option saw more whales. We saw Mendenhall glacier from a distance but did not stop there and were not offered the chance to be taken there.

Hi

We are going out with Weather Permitting in a couple weeks. It seems like there are a lot of whales, and I would think on a 4 hour tour, you would see more.

I also tried to see if we could get dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier ( because it seems the other companies are will to do that), but I was told it could not be done. We booked a while ago. I hope we all have a good time....

My DH and I just returned from Alaska and did a whale watch with Weather Permitting and Captain Greg. We enjoyed seeing the whales we did, just one group of a mom and baby playing for a few minutes, we were quite close. After this encounter we saw no other whales, this was disappointing. We took a 40 min boat ride at full speed in the gloomy rainy weather. We saw a few eagles and sea lions near the dock area. Our guide seemed content with the first sighting but for a 3 hour tour we expected more. Could keep warm in the cabin and there were nice snacks and cold drinks and a bathroom. The problem, I think, was our expectations. People from our ship who took the cruise line option saw more whales. We saw Mendenhall glacier from a distance but did not stop there and were not offered the chance to be taken there.

Your whale watch was usual sightings and what should be expected. Many people assume whale watches will be like the glowing reports, that aren't the norm.

Also, with any vendor, it won't be an "offer" to be dropped off at Mendenhall. ANY expectation to go there HAS to be planned for in advance direct with the vendor. They don't all just "go there". Inquire if it is available and sign up for it with your tour.

The whole whale watching trip is 2 1/2 hours? All the trips I looked at were at least 4 hours. What company are you using? Could they pick you up at Mendenhall?

Just saw your other posts re: whale watching. We booked our tour with Weather Permitting back in Jan., but have you checked with them to see if anything is available? Good luck with your search!

Your "4" hour trips, include an hour round trip transit from the cruise ships. It's possible the 2 1/2 hour reference does not, or is the pick up from Mendenhall etc etc.

Details are more helpful with comparing the tours. Should be able to verify directly with the vendors the amount of time actually on the water.

Finally got around to looking up trails on the Mendenhall Glacier website and didn't see anything called "Nugget Falls." There's a "Nugget Creek Trail" listed, but it says it's 5 hours. Does the "Nugget Falls" trail start from the visitor's center or somewhere else?

Never mind... found my answer!

Thanks, especially to Budget Queen - we are still hopeful of getting on our ship's tour as it combines Mendenhall & Whale watching .

If not ....... then it will be back to searching the web !!

Many independents have permits to drop off and pick up at the glacier. No need to limit yourself to the ship's tour for that. Going with a boat that holds only 6 people is almost always a better experience than going with one that holds 100-150 people like the ship's tour is.

Thanks for any advice!

We went whale watching with Weather Permitting Alaska a couple of weeks ago and saw many whales (lost count of the number), some seals and sea lions. We were privileged to see a group of whales bubble-feeding and then the group turned toward us and swam right at our boat close enough to smell their terrible fishy breath and hear them singing. It was a great, beautiful day and I got some very good pictures. We were picked up about 9:30 and got back into town about 1:30. Probably would have stayed out longer because of the abundance of whales that day but the other family on the boat needed to be back by a certain time. Think it's a gamble what you are going to see since the wildlife has minds of their own but I highly recommend Captain Greg and Weather Permitting Alaska.

To answer a couple of questions:

1. Not all of the whale-watching companies have chosen to secure permits to pick up/drop off passengers at Mendenhall Glacier - so ask when you make reservations.

2. The Nugget Falls Trail is *not* the Nugget Creek Trail - same stream, two different perspectives :) The Nugget Falls Trail is well-marked and maps are available at the Kiosk or Visitor Center. (We also post the numbers of all taxicab companies with MGVC permits.)

The Web site for MGVC is sadly outdated and we are working hard on putting together a shiny new one. It takes time, which is in short supply during the summer season... and it also takes navigating bureaucracy, which is never easy ;)

Hi

We are going out with Weather Permitting in a couple weeks. It seems like there are a lot of whales, and I would think on a 4 hour tour, you would see more.

I also tried to see if we could get dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier ( because it seems the other companies are will to do that), but I was told it could not be done. We booked a while ago. I hope we all have a good time....

I looked at my original emails to Captain Greg and he clearly stated that he would drop us at the glacier after our tour, but I emailed him yesterday to confirm and now he says he doesn't have a permit to take us there!? Is this a new thing, needing a permit? He offered to arrange a cab to take us to the glacier and said we could take the shuttle back, but our tour with him doesn't end until 5:30pm, then the taxi ride, and the shuttle stops at 6:30. I guess with 6 people a cab might be cheaper than the shuttle anyway. Anyone know how much a cab from whale watching to the glacier and then another cab back to the ship will cost for 6 people? Trying to figure out how much $ to budget.

We went whale watching with Weather Permitting Alaska a couple of weeks ago and saw many whales (lost count of the number), some seals and sea lions. We were privileged to see a group of whales bubble-feeding and then the group turned toward us and swam right at our boat close enough to smell their terrible fishy breath and hear them singing. It was a great, beautiful day and I got some very good pictures. We were picked up about 9:30 and got back into town about 1:30. Probably would have stayed out longer because of the abundance of whales that day but the other family on the boat needed to be back by a certain time. Think it's a gamble what you are going to see since the wildlife has minds of their own but I highly recommend Captain Greg and Weather Permitting Alaska.

Glad to hear you had a good tour! We are really looking forward to it.

Archived