Switching kids clubs

Hi everyone,

We are going on our first RCCL cruise on the freedom later this year. We have only cruised on disney so this is new to us.

We are traveling with 3 different families (7 children). All of the kids are ages 9-11 with one 12 year old. The 12 year old will only have turned 12 for 3 months before our trip.

My quesiton is can we move 12 year down to be in the kids club with all his friends? If he is all alone he will be crushed. From what I read the kids club is grouped ages 9-11.

Thanks

Ask the AA people once on board, if there isn't and issue with an abundance of 9 to 11 year olds and few 12-14 year olds, they will probably accommodate you.

I have the same thoughts with my autistic son, and RCL actually states they they will accommodate disabled children "by ability rather than age" if needed, but when I tried to make those arrangements over the phone I was told to just discuss it with the AA people once on board.

You might want to post this question on the family board as well...sure to get lots of great input from over there.

My understanding of AO is they will allow the child to step down into the lower kids club. However there is no tolerance for kids bouncing back and forth between Voyagers and Fuel/Living Room. Our grandson will be 12 on our next sailing (if and when we book:o) and we will probably see if he can go back to the 9-11 on AO. He is not quite mature enough for the older club....add to that his autism and he is probably much better off in the 9-11 group.

Congrats...your entire group will LOVE the Freedom class ship!!!

Ask the AA people once on board, if there isn't and issue with an abundance of 9 to 11 year olds and few 12-14 year olds, they will probably accommodate you.

I have the same thoughts with my autistic son, and RCL actually states they they will accommodate disabled children "by ability rather than age" if needed, but when I tried to make those arrangements over the phone I was told to just discuss it with the AA people once on board.

Who are the AA people? Is it Adventure Ocean?

Our son was 12 when we last cruised and was not able to move down to the Adventure Ocean. I would hope that the policy has changed since, the teen groups were collapsed and it wasn't a good situation for him.

If it is critical, I'd find out ahead of time from the actual ship's crew. I'm not sure if the younger group was full or if the policy has changed, but either way it didn't work out for us. We won't take a 12 yo again unless we knew they could absolutely drop down or they had a buddy along their age.

Even if they aren't in the same age group, there will be times when they will see each other...and they won't be in there 24/7....plenty of time together.

They are more likely to let a child move down, than move up....but it's truly nothing to concern yourself with. The kids will be fine!

Even if they aren't in the same age group, there will be times when they will see each other...and they won't be in there 24/7....plenty of time together.

They are more likely to let a child move down, than move up....but it's truly nothing to concern yourself with. The kids will be fine!

Well obviously the original poster IS concerned about it. I really think that they know their child better then a random stranger on a message board. If he has just turned 12, and is young for his age I can see where there would be concern even if he was not travelling with younger friends.

Well obviously the original poster IS concerned about it. I really think that they know their child better then a random stranger on a message board. If he has just turned 12, and is young for his age I can see where there would be concern even if he was not travelling with younger friends.

Thank you for your support. It is a huge deal to our group. No one wants to leave one child out. WIth 6 of the kids fitting into the 9-11 age group and one being 12 it is a HUGE deal. The funny thing is the 12 year old is in the same grade as 3 of the other kids. He just has an earlier birthday.

Honestly, I am going to contact RCCL and get a written copy of the official policy. If he is not allowed to move it will be a deal breaker for the group and we will pick another cruise line that will accomondate all our children. I would never want to hurt a child by leaving him out of all the fun with his 6 friends.

Thanks

My kids are older now but we never had a problem moving kids to be with siblings/friends! Really, they do want everyone to be happy!

However, my guess is that the official policy with say that there is no guarantee. I'm sure it will have something to do with the number of kids in each age group on board. Plus, they will want to make sure the more is appropriate.

Good luck!!

Edit...I will be shocked if they don't allow the move.

My daughter (2 years older than my son) has never had a problem joining his group. If they are close in age I don't think they force you to separate them. Of course it probably also depends on the number of kids. By the end of the night on the last few cruises these groups got merged anyways. AO staff have always been very accomodating in my experience.

Thank you for your support. It is a huge deal to our group. No one wants to leave one child out. WIth 6 of the kids fitting into the 9-11 age group and one being 12 it is a HUGE deal. The funny thing is the 12 year old is in the same grade as 3 of the other kids. He just has an earlier birthday.

Honestly, I am going to contact RCCL and get a written copy of the official policy. If he is not allowed to move it will be a deal breaker for the group and we will pick another cruise line that will accomondate all our children. I would never want to hurt a child by leaving him out of all the fun with his 6 friends.

Thanks

Explaining that the 7 children are travelling together, I'm sure it would be fine. Also, only 3 months older I don't think is a big deal. I've never experienced bad AO staff. Definitely contact RCCL to get your comfort level. But I agree with the last poster, I'd be surprised if they didn't allow it.

We were on Radiance in Feb and had a very similiar situation with 3 of the kids in the 9-11 age group and one who was 12. He was allowed to go down to the lower age group but wasn't allowed to go between both age groups. Also if there was any trouble, the 12 year old would not have be permitted to stay.

I too have a concern about switching age groups but I am looking to move my daughter up. We are leaving in less that 2 weeks and my daughter will be less than 2 months short of 12. She is used to being with 12 year olds since she is the youngest in her grade. She will not even think of spending time with the 9 and 10 year olds. Anyone have any experience with this?

I too have a concern about switching age groups but I am looking to move my daughter up. We are leaving in less that 2 weeks and my daughter will be less than 2 months short of 12. She is used to being with 12 year olds since she is the youngest in her grade. She will not even think of spending time with the 9 and 10 year olds. Anyone have any experience with this?

I am guessing that there will be 11 year olds in her club for her to hang around with! Probably even some '11 turning 12 soon' kids just like her! Do you really want her in a club with 14 year olds when she is still 11? The entire atmosphere of the club will likely be more 'teen' focused and mature in the older club. Personally I am all for letting kids be kids for as long as possible.

I too hope they are flexible with the ages. We are sailing this coming November and my daughter is 7 and my son is 5. He turns 6 in January and I would really like them to be in the same group (they are close). He is used to hanging out with older kids and is tall and mature for his age. In my opinion there is a huge difference between an almost 6 year old and a just turned 3 year old in terms of the kinds of activities they do. I would hate for him to be stuck doing babyish activities all week while his sister does the 'cool' stuff.

Archived