Cruising with afib

pamurchu

Being recently diagnosed with afib, I was interested in others who cruise with this condition. My cardiologist has cleared my trip on the Breeze next month, but I may need a test for INR blood level to regulate the coumadin dosage at some point while I am gone. I resurrected a thread on CC that was several years old addressing this subject. I also found a thread on another site stating that the doctor on their cruise could perform that test onboard. How did you deal with this situation if you have my diagnosis? I am sure that I am not the only one who has faced this problem. Thank you in advance for any help.

Being recently diagnosed with afib, I was interested in others who cruise with this condition. My cardiologist has cleared my trip on the Breeze next month, but I may need a test for INR blood level to regulate the coumadin dosage at some point while I am gone. I resurrected a thread on CC that was several years old addressing this subject. I also found a thread on another site stating that the doctor on their cruise could perform that test onboard. How did you deal with this situation if you have my diagnosis? I am sure that I am not the only one who has faced this problem. Thank you in advance for any help.

You should let the cruise line know as soon as possible about the test. They might tell you that you need to supply a Doctor's letter before the test. There medical department might refuse to let you cruise at this time no matter what your Doctor says. You might need to get the ingredients from your Doctor ( pay for them) for the ship to the INR test.

I don't know Carnival's policy for lab tests. Just an idea....there is a new medication to treat AFib that does not require the INR. If you do need the INR, could you have it done immediately before you cruise and then again when you return? Hope you get the answers you need.

If your physician thinks you are stable enough for the trip, then okay. I do not know for sure, but I'm guessing, the ship does not have the analyzer to check your PT/INR. However, Carnival may be able to refer you to a reference lab close to the ship in one of the ports for a quick test. There are a number of foods that affect your clotting time. It will be important to carry that list to remind yourself to not eat more of those foods than you normally do. I would let Carnival know about my condition.:)

I have AFib, and I most certainly understand your concerns. I am sailing in a little more than a week, and I am worried as well.

I, however, do not take coumadin since my Afib is only occassional. I take BP and anti-arythmic medications to try to keep it under control. I am uneasy about the possibility of having an Afib episode on the ship. My cardiologist has ok'd my trip and has informed me of the procedures I should take if the worst happens. I am still worried as I've never used the medical facilities on a ship.

Sorry, I have no advise for you, but wanted to wish you a great trip next month. I do think we have to continue to live our lives with this conditions! Good luck to you!

About a year ago one of my good friends developed Afib while we were on a cruise. He had never had problems of this kind before. Luckily there were a couple of nurses sailing with our group that got him to the ships doctor pronto.

The medical staff kept him in the clinic for one or two nights monitoring him continuously and giving appropriate meds. He left the ship when it got back to Galveston via wheelchair and was taken to the hospital in Galveston where he stayed for another week to get him fully regulated.

Since INR's only have to be done once per month, I would think that your doctor could do the test right before you left for your vacation and then upon your return.

My sister has Afib and has her test monthly but it's really rare for her doctor to have to change her dosage, and she travels without any concerns.

I don't know Carnival's policy for lab tests. Just an idea....there is a new medication to treat AFib that does not require the INR. If you do need the INR, could you have it done immediately before you cruise and then again when you return? Hope you get the answers you need.

best thing ever !!..and have an ICD, since Dec '10..not a prob since!..love u Dr. YAN, and Dr. Eric

I would attempt to get your INR levels checked before sailing, just in case. I work on a medical cardiology unit and a lot of my patients who are on Coumadin with less than ideal INR results are administered plasma in order to regulate it. I doubt Carnival has that readily available. I hope your test results are great and you can simply enjoy your vacay!

Thank you for all of your helpful replies. Just FYI to future cruisers, I just was on the phone with Carnival Special needs department, and they can indeed perform the required test onboard. I won't go into all of the boring details here, but I did receive all of the information I needed to know.

This was CC at its best--folks being helpful to other folks without any negativity.

Bon Voyage to all.

Since INR's only have to be done once per month, I would think that your doctor could do the test right before you left for your vacation and then upon your return.

My sister has Afib and has her test monthly but it's really rare for her doctor to have to change her dosage, and she travels without any concerns.

I don't mean to be a nag, but a change in diet can have a significant change in your PT and require dosage adjustments to the Coumadin so you don't throw a clot or bleed out. Please seek the guidance of your physician in this case and please advise Carnival of your newly diagnosed condition. They can help with diet counseling and menu selection, and help you find a lab for testing if necessary.

I personally would not go on a cruise if I was newly diagnosed with afib and just beginning my anti-coagulant therapy. After 6 months to a year if I was stable, then I would cruise.

Thank you for all of your helpful replies. Just FYI to future cruisers, I just was on the phone with Carnival Special needs department, and they can indeed perform the required test onboard. I won't go into all of the boring details here, but I did receive all of the information I needed to know.

This was CC at its best--folks being helpful to other folks without any negativity.

Bon Voyage to all.

Yay!!!!!!! So glad you called :)

Archived