Live from the Ruby Princess on the Mediterranian Sea

lchen818

I will be on the Ruby at the end of this month and I am still a bit confused about Princess' disembarkation process. If we carry our own luggage off in Barcelona, do we still need to wait for a set time, or just until we clear customs? I know NCL lets you off right away. I have a tour scheduled at 8:30 and would like to be off the ship by 7/7:30? Thanks in advance & Thanks for the great post!

Princess will assign you a time for self-disembarkation and will tell you where and when to meet.

There may be multiple self-disembarkation times assigned due to demand and the need to keep everyone doing this from trying to disembark at the same time.

It is not a "free-for-all" where everyone who wants to just heads to the gangway once the ship is cleared.

Nope, just start walking off the ship whenever it's available. For us, they published the start time was around 6am. They don't make announcements on disembarkation day, so be sure to read the handouts they put in your room about what time the self walk-off starts. Have a great time!

Thank you for the qick response and thanks again for the great review!

Thank you for the qick response and thanks again for the great review!

Oops, another poster said you have to "sign up" for walk-off and are assigned a time. I guess I have never followed that rule and just walked off when we felt like it and haven't had an issue. We normally get off the ship so early that there are barely any people leaving at that time.

When do you get assigned this time slot? Do they ask you for preferences when you embark? We're actually checking into a hotel in Venice post-cruise so would like to disembark as late as possible so it's closer to check-in time at the hotel :)

There was no problem or lines getting off the ship at all. We were able to disembark as soon as the ship was cleared by the port authority, which is usually within 15 minutes of docking.

There was no reimbursement since it was not the fault of the cruise liner. Several other ships all decided to skip Mykonos that day. I'd imagine, it was a big economic loss for Mykonos.

Thanks! That's good to know.. We're trying to fit in a lot on some day so the sooner we can get off, the better!

When do you get assigned this time slot? Do they ask you for preferences when you embark? We're actually checking into a hotel in Venice post-cruise so would like to disembark as late as possible so it's closer to check-in time at the hotel :)

During the cruise you will be given a form in your cabin to fill out. It asks for your disembarkation preferences.

However, if you want to leave the ship as late as possible, why bother with the self-disembark option which will always assign one of the earliest times to disembark and requires you to carry off all of your own luggage?

Let the ship bring your luggage onshore and you can find it there when you do disembark.

During the cruise you will be given a form in your cabin to fill out. It asks for your disembarkation preferences.

However, if you want to leave the ship as late as possible, why bother with the self-disembark option which will always assign one of the earliest times to disembark and requires you to carry off all of your own luggage?

Let the ship bring your luggage onshore and you can find it there when you do disembark.

Ahh I see. I misunderstood and thought anyone that's not using the Princess airport transfers HAS to self-disembark. First-time cruiser here - still getting used to the lingo :) Thanks again!!

Ahh I see. I misunderstood and thought anyone that's not using the Princess airport transfers HAS to self-disembark. First-time cruiser here - still getting used to the lingo :) Thanks again!!

Self-disembarkation is for passengers who have a need to get off the ship as quickly as possible and do not have the time to wait for Princess to get the luggage on shore and sorted.

Enjoy your first cruise and feel free to ask any questions you have here on Cruise Critic.

If you have not done so already, locate the roll call for your cruise on Cruise Critic and start making friends before the cruise begins.

Also I suggest going to the Princess web site and downloading the "Cruise Answer Book which has much useful information. https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page

Self-disembarkation is for passengers who have a need to get off the ship as quickly as possible and do not have the time to wait for Princess to get the luggage on shore and sorted.

Enjoy your first cruise and feel free to ask any questions you have here on Cruise Critic.

If you have not done so already, locate the roll call for your cruise on Cruise Critic and start making friends before the cruise begins.

Also I suggest going to the Princess web site and downloading the "Cruise Answer Book which has much useful information. https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/brochureRequest.page

The roll call for our cruise (Sept. 3rd!) was actually how I found out about your post. I was wondering about how long it takes to disembark at each port (since we're DIYing and need to catch trains as early as possible) and someone mentioned your detailed review.

Thanks for Answer Book link! I will download it for reference :)

Depending on the time when the ship comes into port, (I remember seeing the ship come into Venice at around 11AM, which was quite a sight from the inside of the Doge's Palace as the ship sailed by the window), they may not let you stay in the cabin too long. If you have a late disembark time, you will have to wait in the Horizon Court (buffet restaurant at the top) or one of the lounges because they need to the turn around the cabins for the next cruise. You can contact Princess customer service for a more accurate cabin checkout deadline.

I would rather try to check in earlier (we had no problem checking in early in Barcelona at 10AM. The hotels in Venice didn't seem all that full either) or just check the luggage and start exploring the town.

By the way, do a search for Tom's Port Guide under the European destinations thread on this site. Tom has created some very useful reports for many of the ports that you will stopping in on this cruise.

I see.. I guess we'll have to make sure we wake up early so we're packed and ready to leave the cabin.

I did reach out to the hotel to confirm that we can at least leave our luggage there when we get in. They said early check-in would be determined by availability that day. It is a big hotel so I'm counting on them letting us in early. If not, we can at least start exploring without dragging around our bags.

{Side note: If anyone is looking for a hotel in Venice, the Hilton conceirge has been extremely helpful over email. Seems like a good hotel!}

Your cruise began with the overnight in Venice, right? When you went into town, were you allowed to come back to the ship at any time of the night? Not sure how much there is to do in Venice late at night but I understand the Vaporetto there do have a (less frequent) night service?

Thanks for the tip about Tom's guides! He posted on our fb roll call so I did download them.

With the combination of his guides, cruisecritic posts like yours and detailed DIY posts on other sites, we are putting together a fairly detailed itinerary (well, hopefully it turns out to be adequately detailed). I normally stick to excel but my husband is putting together a powerpoint this time. If it turns out well, I am thinking about converting it to PDF to share with others that might be interested in exploring these ports on their own.

Can't wait!!!

I see.. I guess we'll have to make sure we wake up early so we're packed and ready to leave the cabin.

I did reach out to the hotel to confirm that we can at least leave our luggage there when we get in. They said early check-in would be determined by availability that day. It is a big hotel so I'm counting on them letting us in early. If not, we can at least start exploring without dragging around our bags.

{Side note: If anyone is looking for a hotel in Venice, the Hilton conceirge has been extremely helpful over email. Seems like a good hotel!}

Your cruise began with the overnight in Venice, right? When you went into town, were you allowed to come back to the ship at any time of the night? Not sure how much there is to do in Venice late at night but I understand the Vaporetto there do have a (less frequent) night service?

Thanks for the tip about Tom's guides! He posted on our fb roll call so I did download them.

With the combination of his guides, cruisecritic posts like yours and detailed DIY posts on other sites, we are putting together a fairly detailed itinerary (well, hopefully it turns out to be adequately detailed). I normally stick to excel but my husband is putting together a powerpoint this time. If it turns out well, I am thinking about converting it to PDF to share with others that might be interested in exploring these ports on their own.

Can't wait!!!

We stayed in Venice for a couple nights before our cruise and we did wander back out as well after we boarded the ship. There was no limitation getting on or off the ship that I know of. We liked strolling around Venice after dinner; the whole place is much quieter with 80% fewer people. I didn't see a lot places open beyond 10PM. San Marco is definitely interesting at night but we didn't spend more than 30 minutes there listening to the music being played, the kids got tired and were still jetlagged. The streets can be dark at some places, which the kids found a little creepy but they got used to it fairly quickly.

I also had a very detailed itinerary planned but we always allowed for alternatives and try to be flexible when we got there. Sometimes we just decided we weren't in the mood for what we had planned and just did something more spontaineous instead.

Keep in mind, most things in Venice will probably take less time than you think. It's a very small place and everything is fairly close together. The only thing you need to be prepared for is to pre-book tours like the Doge's Palace to avoid waiting in line.

Also don't try to plan to extraordinary dining experience. Of all the places we visited on this cruise, actual ever, Venice had the most disappointing dining experience. You will have a better experience by simply popping into to one or more bars and get some cicchetti or get a sandwich for a few Euros from a sandwich shop away from San Marco. Also forget about gelatos in Italy ( I will probably get a lot of hate mails for this). The best gelato I have ever found was at a small chain called Amorino. They have them in Paris and Barcelona. The is one on La Rambla (on the left side between La Boqueria Market and Placa Catalunya). They shape the gelato on a cone like a rose and they serve it colder and harder than the typical gelato, which is served at higher temp and softer and it melts before you can take your first bite/lick.

Hope you will have a great trip.

Sorry to keep bothering but I have another question I can't seem to figure out.

The Hilton is one of the stops on the Alilaguna so we're planning on taking that without having to drag our luggage to far into the hotel.

I am confused about where the Alilaguna stop near the ship is though. Since the blue line lists the cruise dock as it's last stop, I had assumed that we would be able to get on it without having to drag our luggage too far. But Tom's guide says that the Alilaguna & Vaporetti can be caught at Piazalle Roma (1 mile away). So we'd have to walk with our luggage or use a 'People Mover'?

Is this true or is the Alilaguna stop close to where we will disembark? I'm hoping it's only the Vaporetti that are caught at Piazalle Roma.

Thanks again!

As with any disembarkation day, you will need to be out of your cabin between 8 and 8:30 AM.

The last disembarkation will be before 10 AM.

Sorry to keep bothering but I have another question I can't seem to figure out.

The Hilton is one of the stops on the Alilaguna so we're planning on taking that without having to drag our luggage to far into the hotel.

I am confused about where the Alilaguna stop near the ship is though. Since the blue line lists the cruise dock as it's last stop, I had assumed that we would be able to get on it without having to drag our luggage too far. But Tom's guide says that the Alilaguna & Vaporetti can be caught at Piazalle Roma (1 mile away). So we'd have to walk with our luggage or use a 'People Mover'?

Is this true or is the Alilaguna stop close to where we will disembark? I'm hoping it's only the Vaporetti that are caught at Piazalle Roma.

Thanks again!

All the land and water buses will be at Piazalle Roma and you will need to take the People Mover to get there. The only problem is the PM station is quite a ways from the dock (I'd estimate 1/3 mile from the farthest end of the ship). There were free shuttle buses taking passengers back and forth between the ship and PM station when we boarded the ship. Unfortunately, Princess didn't advertise the shuttle at all and the Princess people standing near the PM station didn't say a word about it when I asked for directions to the ship; so we ended up dragging our luggage to the drop-off only to see the shuttle bus drive pass us. Princess may also offer a direct Vapporetto to San Marco from next to the ship for a fee; but, that won't help you if you plan to use the Alilaguna. I'd recommend looking out for the shuttle bus when you disembark.

Also forget about gelatos in Italy ( I will probably get a lot of hate mails for this).

Not hate mail, but a gentle disagreement.

We find the best gelato is in Italy.

Our favorite is near the Vatican in Rome.

Also have much liked gelato in Civitavecchia and Florence.

Venice is better than average, but not the best.

Could you please tell me the name of the restaurant near Vatican and where it is located Will be in the area soon

Thank you

I found food everywhere in Italy very Ho Hum ...maybe I did not pick the right ones

Italian food here is SOOOOO good plus I worked with Italians ...best cooks ever LOved our potluck days .the Raviolis and canellonis they made were superb ...no such luck in Italy

maybe this time .....

Could you please tell me the name of the restaurant near Vatican and where it is located Will be in the area soon

Thank you

I found food everywhere in Italy very Ho Hum ...maybe I did not pick the right ones

Italian food here is SOOOOO good plus I worked with Italians ...best cooks ever LOved our potluck days .the Raviolis and canellonis they made were superb ...no such luck in Italy

maybe this time .....

The food was pretty good in Rome,Florence and near Ravello; but, not so great that it blew me away. Unlike when we went to Shanghai; I still dream about the food there. I think I might have set my expectations way too high.

The restaurant we went to was called Osteria dei Pontefici. The pasta was very good and freshly made on site. The spagetti fruti de mari was excellent. The ambience was quite nice as well.

Have enjoyed reliving your Med. cruise. We did this exact tour in July, 2010. I would add to take water bottles filled with ice as it is hot, hot,hot. I enjoyed Pompeii and Ephesus. While the ruins were similar, the stories were very different. We did all Princess tours, and really have never felt rushed or crowded. We had wonderful guides with headsets on a lot of the tours that worked great and we also bypassed all the lines. At the Vatican, we went right in to the museum, Sistene chapel and Basilica. I know Princess tours gets a lot of criticism, but our group had no complaints. While they might have been priced higher, the security of being on a Princess sponsored tour was comforting for those of us less traveled.

thank you grammyluvs for your reassuring comments. Altho we are well travelled, I too feel more secure in using ship sponsored tours especially when traffic, possible civic demonstrations, heat and being in unfamiliar cities and languages.

We leave on this cruise in August and wonder if we have bitten off more than we can chew as this is a very port intensive cruise..hopefully I have paced the days ok altho I sense we will be on the road a lot in Naples, Florence and Rome the 3 longest tour days. Any thoughts?:confused:

We will be using Princess transfers from Marco Polo airport in Venice. Can anyone give me a rundown of what to expect ie. bus to PM then shuttle? We will be exhausted after a long trip with 2 transfers and the more I know ahead of time, the better I will feel.

also, we are doing a debark tour in Barcelona with the ultimate destination being the airport. Do they take ALL your suitcases the nite before or can you bring a small carryon with you on the bus tour so you have a place to put your night things?

Thank you in advance for any info.

We leave on this cruise in August and wonder if we have bitten off more than we can chew as this is a very port intensive cruise..hopefully I have paced the days ok altho I sense we will be on the road a lot in Naples, Florence and Rome the 3 longest tour days. Any thoughts?:confused:

We were on this cruise last month (May 18th sailing) and traveling with 2 older ladies (MIL and friend's mother). I booked custom tours for each of those ports to ensure the pace we wanted, prioritize the specific sites we wanted to see, and guarantee our return to the ship by 5PM (I wanted both of them to have chance to rest change, have dinner (6PM traditional seating) and go to bed early enough to rest up for the next day's tour. Worked like a charm. Everyone went into the cruise healthy and came out healthy. That was my primary goal and we achieved that. The ship's tours never quite struck the right balance for me between being comprehensive yet easy. Those scenic drives that are rated easy don't show you much.

Archived