Northern Fjords - Should we do HAL excursions or book our own?

We embark on the Ryndam, June 30th, for the HAL Northern Fjords cruise. Ports are Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen. I was planning to book all of our excursions through HAL, but was wondering if we'd be better off finding excursions when we get to each port.

Thanks for your help!

That decision is up to you. We don't know your interests, your comfort level in foriegn countries, how mobile you are, or what your budget allows you to do. There is tons of info down this board on your ports, and you can decide what might interest you and how you can achieve those things.

Sorry to be so vague, Bruce. We are quite mobile, extremely comfortable in Europe, my husband is interested in hiking/kayaking and I am interested in scenic bus tours and culture/history (I believe one is the Troll Path). We often split up when vacationing, as my husband is much more athletic than I.

My question is really centered on the availability of excursions. I know Bergen will be quite explorable, and there are probably many tour outlets right at the pier, but what about the smaller ports?

Hi, I have just started a lengthy review of my Royal Caribbean cruise that went to 3 of your ports, so when I get round to them (I have done Geiranger) there may be some good info for you there - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1653948

My short answer would be that you can walk round Bergen and Alesund and see the main sights yourself, but plan to do something in Geiranger. You can take a local hop on bus that visits the two or three main viewpoints that ship's excursions do and there is a kayaking adventure there (I don't know if you can book direct or have to go through the ships). I brought back loads of information, but I am really short of time just now, I'm afraid. www.geirangerfjord.no is a good place to start.

Archived