LIVE from the CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 6/19/12 - Norwegian Fjords & Scandinavia

Pia1913

So far, I have two experiences with PHL; both bad. LAX OTOH, was better, and we've gone thru there many more times. I suppose it depends on when.

I'm not sure it it's PHL itself, or USAir. It's possible they may cause blemishes upon any facility which they use.

Welcome home, and thanks for another wonderful virtual cruise. Can't wait until your next trip!

I'm not sure it it's PHL itself, or USAir. It's possible they may cause blemishes upon any facility which they use.

Welcome home, and thanks for another wonderful virtual cruise. Can't wait until your next trip!

How about joining one of them? After all this time, I'd love to meet you up close and personal. ;)

And yes, it might very well be US Air too.

Pia,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me out with some info. I'm on the Caribbean Princess trip to Norway and Iceland, and it also stops in Geiranger. I want to book a non-Princess excursion which would bring us back to the dock for a tender 60 minutes prior to sailing. In your experience on your cruise, were the tenders going back to the ship at least 60 minutes prior to departure (which is the norm on most cruise lines) or does Princess do it differently?

Any insight you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Pia,

I want to book a non-Princess excursion which would bring us back to the dock for a tender 60 minutes prior to sailing.

You are assuming that the excursion will return at the scheduled time and absolutely no problems would make it be late.

95% of the time it might return on time. Just hope your day is not among the other 5%. (not real percentages, but the point is you cannot count on it always returning on schedule)

Now need to wait for house to cool down. Something happened to A/C and we came home to house at 88 degrees. Fortunately no mildew and compressor turned on when we changed batteries in thermostat. Temp now down to 82 and feeling a lot better around here. Cool shower will help. Goodnite

Glad you got home safely and hope your house is nicely cooled by now.

We were lucky to be travelling home on the Sunday and not the Saturday as many roads were closed due to flooding. We passed field after field that was under water but no problems on the roads:eek: The rain has actually stopped at last this morning, but more is forecast for later today and the rest of the week :eek::eek::eek:

It was great to meet you both and hopefully we will end up on the same cruise again some day:D

Hi Pia,

I enjoyed meeting you as well on this cruise! Just read your blog of the cruise. Yes it was wonderful and thankfully for my 15 year old son, lots and lots of teens he met and has happy memories. Alas, not sure when our next cruise will be, but did sign up for the future cruise credit.

Take care!

Laurie

Pia,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me out with some info. I'm on the Caribbean Princess trip to Norway and Iceland, and it also stops in Geiranger. I want to book a non-Princess excursion which would bring us back to the dock for a tender 60 minutes prior to sailing. In your experience on your cruise, were the tenders going back to the ship at least 60 minutes prior to departure (which is the norm on most cruise lines) or does Princess do it differently?

See Caribill's response. Princess always tells you when the last tender will leave, so it's up to you to schedule accordingly. Whenever we take a private excursion, we always specifically state we need to return no later than one hour before the all aboard. That gives you an hour and a half prior to departure.

See Caribill's response. Princess always tells you when the last tender will leave, so it's up to you to schedule accordingly. Whenever we take a private excursion, we always specifically state we need to return no later than one hour before the all aboard. That gives you an hour and a half prior to departure.

Yes, I know that Princess tells you, but that's not until the day you actually dock in a particular place, and I need to book now, as the trip has to be reserved or it will be filled. So all I was trying to do was make an educated decision, based on the prior experience of people who'd been on this ship and in this port as to whether or not the tenders came back at least an hour before departure--or maybe even less--on their cruise.

Anyhow, thanks for responding and really glad to read you had a good time; despite the frustration about this particular issue, I'm really looking forward to my cruise and seeing many of the things you described.

It is not Global Access, but rather Global Entry, once you get it ,you also are able to get into the fast tract security lines a major airports. No shoes off, belts, no laptops out of bags, or the baggies. Some airports have a special line, others just have you walk thru the scanner. We got ours thru out credit card company free, otherswise it is 50 usd for five years. In the two years we have had it, the only problem we had was at one of your favourite airports, LAX, but that is another story.

Pia,

We did the Land of the Midnight Sun cruise, also stopped in Geiranger - tenders were still going 60 minutes prior to sail away, however, is this a 'private' excursion where you are setting the schedule and itinerary or a commercial excursion you are joining dockside? If the former, you can make adjustments on the day according to whatever the published tendering program is. If the latter, you might be at the mercy of other guests who are staying in the area and under no time pressure to return and without options to say 'cut it short, we need to get back' at any point where you feel you are running too close to the last tender time.

We did the Land of the Midnight Sun cruise, also stopped in Geiranger - tenders were still going 60 minutes prior to sail away, however, is this a 'private' excursion where you are setting the schedule and itinerary or a commercial excursion you are joining dockside? If the former, you can make adjustments on the day according to whatever the published tendering program is. If the latter, you might be at the mercy of other guests who are staying in the area and under no time pressure to return and without options to say 'cut it short, we need to get back' at any point where you feel you are running too close to the last tender time.

No, interestly enough, the second part of the tour is the bus ride up to Mt. Dalsnibba, but it's on a quasi-public bus--which means they have to stick to a schedule and they don't care if they leave someone behind. (at least that's what they told me) So that actually makes me more confident that it will be back on time, or close to it--barring crazy traffic or some emergency of course.

Hi Pia, it was nice meeting you, and sharing a taxi to Bruges! We really enjoyed the Norway ports! I didn't realize your husband is a Doctor! My son is 3rd year at IUSM, in his first rotation OB/GYN! I will be following your future posts, I hope to cruise as much as you some day! We missed our connection in DTW, so we had to spend the night! Flying is not enjoyable anymore!! Dawn

Hi Pia, it was nice meeting you, and sharing a taxi to Bruges! We really enjoyed the Norway ports! I didn't realize your husband is a Doctor! My son is 3rd year at IUSM, in his first rotation OB/GYN! I will be following your future posts, I hope to cruise as much as you some day! We missed our connection in DTW, so we had to spend the night! Flying is not enjoyable anymore!! Dawn

Hi Dawn, good meeting you both. Especially since we shared restroom info. :D Folks, we know where all the free ones are located. It sometimes becomes quite challenging, especially when you don't have local currency; in coins.

WOW! Major thunderstorm now. Just lost power. Computer is running on battery backup.

Yeah... We had some of that too this noon. It rained cats and dogs so we could not even see the neighbour house! Uhhh...

Your rumor re: Crown in Helsingborg on 5/29 must be a rumor. Crown is in Spain on the 28th and France on the 29th. Can't be in Sweden. :confused:

the Princess Book Club. They will be discussing The Help

Princess Book Club? Where do you find out about the book club? How does it work?

Maybe someone who has done this can chime in, but from what I remember from reading posts on this board is at the first meeting on board, which is usually early in the cruise, they start discussing the book so you need to have read it before you take the cruise.

Also some posts indicated that the Cruise Staff member conducting the session had not read the book.

Also some posts indicated that the Cruise Staff member conducting the session had not read the book.

That's par for the course. :rolleyes: They also never have enough copies of featured book, so yes, you had better have already read it. The Help is getting stale. This has been THE book on our past few cruises.

Hi Pia!

We have sun today!!! :D

The first day it hasn't rained since we got off the ship :eek:

I am so excited :cool::cool:

Jackie

Hi Jackie:

We have sun too, though it was pouring right along with it when I went out to get the newspaper. Newspaper was dry; I got wet.

Archived