Venice Embarkation

Lisah101

I am on the first sailing of the Sunshine and wondered if anyone could help me with a question about embarkation.

We embark on April 12, but don't set sail until the next day? How does that work exactly? Is it more like a floating hotel room where after you board and have your DOD you can leave the ship to explore Venice?

Are there any restrictions on leaving the ship that evening or the next day before sailaway?

I am on the first sailing of the Sunshine and wondered if anyone could help me with a question about embarkation.

We embark on April 12, but don't set sail until the next day? How does that work exactly? Is it more like a floating hotel room where after you board and have your DOD you can leave the ship to explore Venice?

Are there any restrictions on leaving the ship that evening or the next day before sailaway?

Yep. No restrictions on leaving. Returning you have to clear a 24 hour security station but not big deal.

One more question......... Venice transportation from the airport is kinda crazy and kinda expensive.

I usually don't do the Carnival transfer since cabs have always been cheaper for two people, but in this case I think we might try the transfer. After traveling from Phoenix we will be very tired and don't want to mess with language/luggage/cabs until I've had a nap on board.

The CCL website doesn't have any excursions loaded for our cruise yet, including transportation from VCE..... do you have any experience with that or know pricing?

One more question......... Venice transportation from the airport is kinda crazy and kinda expensive.

I usually don't do the Carnival transfer since cabs have always been cheaper for two people, but in this case I think we might try the transfer. After traveling from Phoenix we will be very tired and don't want to mess with language/luggage/cabs until I've had a nap on board.

The CCL website doesn't have any excursions loaded for our cruise yet, including transportation from VCE..... do you have any experience with that or know pricing?

I don't remember pricing and did not take. I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival wanted $100pp. For 2 or more people, taxis are almost always cheaper but you would need euros. It should be possible to prearrange a transfer to the port.

I've taken the express airport bus (3 euro) to Piazzale Roma - a few blocks from the terminal and also stayed at an airport hotel that included airport transportation and had transportation to the port.

I heard that the taxis can't take you all the way to the cruise ship, you need to walk or catch a shuttle to the port. Is that true?

I worry because my husband is older with back issues. When we travel he refused to let me handle the suitcases and insists on lifting/hauling them himself which inevitably hurts his back and then he is in pain and miserable. I wanted to find the easiest way to do this without him having to manage baggage. He's a bit stubborn.

I would encourage you if there is any way for you to do so to get to Venice at least a couple of days before you embark the ship. My sister and I were on the inaugural voyage of the Freedom in 2007 and even though we did get there a couple of days early it wasn't nearly long enough.

Flying from Dallas, we left in the mid afternoon but had to lay over all day at Gatwich in London and got to Venice around 8pm local time. About a 30+ hour journey, but it worked out okay for us to just go grab a bite to eat and hit the sack......woke refreshed with our days turned over and ready to go.

On embarkation day we were able to board the ship around 11am, and we didn't get back off the ship until the next day and then just to do a little shopping at Piazzale Roma. The ship set sail a little after noon I think so everyone had to be back on pretty early.

If you come in on the day you board the ship I'm afraid you will be too tired to do any sight seeing.

We booked a private company to take us from the airport to a water taxi to our hotel, then the same company took us to the pier via a water taxi. I'll try to check my home email to see if I still have the name of the company. It seems at the time it was about 100 euro's for the 2 of us and it was paid in advance.

Edit to Add: It is so expensive to get to Europe now and we regret only spending a few days pre-cruise in Venice........We toured Murano and Burano on our own, but I could have easily spent a week there and never run out of things to go do and see......someday..........

Taxis can go to the cruise terminal and the luggage drop off is outside of the terminal. From there you will have some walking, but don't have to carry your checked luggage.

You have to go through the cruise terminal to check in.

After you have checked in, you have more options.

Lots of good info in the Italy Ports of Call board.

Just be aware everything in Venice is expensive, so don't expect US or Caribbean prices. A cab from the airport to the port is about 40 Euro.

Lots of good info in the Italy Ports of Call board.

Just be aware everything in Venice is expensive, son't expect US or Caribbean prices. A cab from the airport to the port is about 40 Euro.

Pretty sure a ship transfer would be at least that per person, albeit in US $.

The August 26th Carnival Breeze sailing starts out with an overnight in Venice. You might check with that roll call for transportation questions and more.

Thank you for that suggestion, I will lurk around their thread!

• 2 months later...

Just found this thread and I realize it's been a couple of months but our cruise next year is leaving from Venice and the Carnival transfer from the airport (Marco Polo) to the Venice port is only $36.99 per person - which we consider a good deal and less hassle. You might look into what Carnival is offering on your cruise. It's not listed on the excursions area but under the Manage My Cruise area of your booking, FYI.

There is a public bus that will take you from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma (drop off point). I dont remember the exact price but I am thinking €10 and the bus has luggage storage under the bus. From Piazzale Roma you can take the people mover to the dock for €1 pp one way. It was the way we went and everything was pretty well marked and didnt have any trouble. I believe the bus is the ATVO?

Tom

We recently used http://www.airport-transfers-direct.com for our transfer to the airport when we disembarked from the Breeze in Venice. We were able to find others on our roll call to join us. The cost for a van for 8 was even less expensive than the airport bus (under 10 Euros per person.)

I believe that their price for a sedan for 2 people including 4 peces of luggage was about 40 Euros which is more convenient and less expensive than a Carnival transfer.

Archived