Review of FOS June 3rd 2012 Sailing

Here is a link to my review of FOS.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=104489.

I was so excited to write the review and I re-read it a few times and laugh at some errors (I put down I was a "mother of four" really only a mother of two - there were four of us on the trip!). And there are more things I could mention now that I forgot to at the time. But in summary, we had a fantastic time. I would be happy to answer any questions for those of you who will be sailing soon. I did a lot of research on this board and on the "ports" boards. I did a lot of homework and all in all, there is some pretty good advice out there. However, there are also so many differing opinions and sometimes you can read "too much." Everyone has their own opinion so I like to stick to reading about the facts, some good tips and what is fun to do for a family like ours. The others things fall into place. I think we have learned a few things from our trip but really we had a wonderful experience and I can say that I want to cruise again - soon! I will try to share some pictures but I had so many, I couldn't load all into my ipad so had to transfer to my ol' computer. I will try to post more - having trouble copying and pasting in this message.

Sail away from Port Canaveral. One of my favorite parts of the cruise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=237568&stc=1&d=1340485935

First formal night on the Promenade. Captain's reception was going on. Free champagne and the kids had a really good virgin fruit drink.

533920_2852083520390_406984198_n.jpg

We are docked in St. Thomas. What a sight!

542544_2852084800422_660826066_n.jpg

What a beautiful family! Your husband resembles one of our sports anchors here in San Antonio.:D

I also loved reading a positive review of FOS. I read so many negative ones! It is sad to me:( I love the ship!

Seeing the pic of St Thomas makes me want to try again on the Eastern. We went Eastern last summer BUT.......Tropical storm Emily had us reroute Western. We went to Coco Cay, but from there we went to Caymen Islands, and Cozumel. I really want to take my son to Labadee but we would head in the same direction again. That pic of St Thomas is just amazing!

I would love a trip to Labadee then on to St Thomas and St Martin!:rolleyes:

We got off early at Coco Cay. We were one of the first tenders off around 9am or so? We had room service bfast, got dressed, packed and were good to go. I think I remember the captain saying the earlier the better. When we got back to the ship, I was sooo surprised that the line wrapped up the stairs several floors. Some people do back out.

Wife and I were on this same 3-Jun FOS Eastern sailing, and I have to jump in and give the Freedom a huge 5-star "YES". It was a perfect week. Our first RCL cruise and our first since our Big Red Boat days, but can't image anything better. The OP's review was great, said it so much better than I can. Can't wait until our next cruise on the Freedom.

We are from Indiana as well and are booked on the Freedom in Sept. also for the eastern. Can you tell me if you were allowed to bring on any of your own soft drinks? Our Travel agent says yes but on-line Royal says NO. I don't really want to have to hide them in order to bring a few on so I was just wondering if you had any info on that? Glad you enjoyed your trip, I am sure we will as well!

Thank you for your review. We sail on FOS in October & can't wait. We will be sailing the Western route though.

Could you please tell me approximately what it cost to have your DD's hair braided? I know you were in Cocoa Cay and we will be in Labadee, but I am thinking it might be comparable.

Thanks!

To answer the two questions above:

Did we bring on soft drinks? No, we didn't try. We just figured in the cost in our budget to buy them onboard. They are $2.59 each which includes tax and gratuity. My DH and I only had one or two a day. And in fact, a few times at the Cafe Promenade, they gave us free ones (one was later in the evening, the other on our last night at sea). We bought the soda package for the kids.

On the braiding - they post the cost of "full head" partial head, etc. but my daughter opted for four braids on the side of her head and they were $3 each - so $12 and we tipped as well.

Can you tell me if you were allowed to bring on any of your own soft drinks? Our Travel agent says yes but on-line Royal says NO. I don't really want to have to hide them in order to bring a few on so I was just wondering if you had any info on that? Glad you enjoyed your trip, I am sure we will as well!

We were also on the June 3 Freedom sailing and it was a wonderful cruise. We purchased a 12-pack of diet coke cans and a 6-pack of bottled water. We put it all in a duffle bag with a cruise luggage tag and it was delivered to our stateroom with our other luggage. No problem.

Archived