What to wear when you are too heavy for a bathing suit

shorbr

I just wanted to chime in and add my two cents worth!

Let's start with congratulations for a couple things! First, you are a survivor and should stand proud. Second, as a survivor you are out doing things, not sitting home with a poor attitude (cheers to you!). Third, you asked for advice and took it!! yay!!

I have to say that as others have stated you will find people bigger and smaller than you on the cruise. In my experience, my cruise seemed like the LEAST judgemental place I have ever worn a swimsuit. Not only did no one notice me in my suit, but I only noticed ONE other person in a suit. Yes, she was larger than me, but the reason I noticed her was that her suit was absolutely stunning and she looked gorgeous in it, and I told her so!

Enjoy your cruise, wear color, and live your life. You deserve it!!

How sweet..thanks for your words of encouragement :)

This is it. I ordered it in teal...

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plus-size-bathing-suit-80823wa.html

What ya think?

VERY CUTE!!!!!!

You should not worry about the cruise and the pool. As someone said............there will be people heavier that you, and there will be people lighter than you. But honestly.......no one is paying attention. We just got back from a cruise.........and honestly, I can't remember a single person from the pool.......and we were there EVERYDAY!

HAve a BLAST!!!!!

Hi shorbr

I'm a survivor too (4 years out) and still on the dreaded tablets!

Don't worry about how you look. I feel like a beached whale but still put on my swimsuit and go out and enjoy myself. Life's too short. You'll see people both heavier and lighter than you.

I do feel self conscious but don't let it affect my enjoyment. I'm 60 and last year I went parasailing (the girls onboard were far heavier than me) and so enjoyed it.

As you know, life really is too short to be looking back and thinking 'I should have done that'.

Enjoy life.

5'4" and 217lbs and wear 16W. I just ordered a cute swimdress from Always for Me. It got a lot of good reviews, on the expensive side ($89), but I thought I would give it a try. Funny though, when I was about 70 pounds lighter, I thought I was fat then. But after coming off treatment for breast cancer, which was 7 years ago, but taking the pills afterwards for 5 years sorta made me heavier. I don't blame it all on that, but it threw me into menopause, and that weight gain around my stomach is MUCH!!! But I'm alive, and at the moment though I am cutting back considerably.

Happy cruising!!

I just really want to enjoy myself without feeling too self-conscious. Thanks for the suggestions.

Congratulations my "sister" on going through breast cancer. I'm 6 years out of my diagnosis and I know what you mean about the meds. I just got off so I sure hope the weight gain comes off. First the bathing suit you posted will look good because of the rouching and the way the ruffle goes right down the middle.

I always hesitate to getting in a suite, 5'2" 150. I didn't have one with me on the last cruise, May-June, and could have kicked myself. I saw women of all sizes and shapes--I would have fit in perfectly. You wear that suit and you'll look just fine--we're still here and that's the point!!!!

Hi shorbr

I'm a survivor too (4 years out) and still on the dreaded tablets!

Don't worry about how you look. I feel like a beached whale but still put on my swimsuit and go out and enjoy myself. Life's too short. You'll see people both heavier and lighter than you.

I do feel self conscious but don't let it affect my enjoyment. I'm 60 and last year I went parasailing (the girls onboard were far heavier than me) and so enjoyed it.

As you know, life really is too short to be looking back and thinking 'I should have done that'.

Enjoy life.

Hi "sister". Congrats on being 4 years out and hope you have many more years of continued good health. I will be 58 when we cruise and celebrating our 4th year anniversary. I am enjoying life like I never have before.

Thanks for your encourating words and stay healthy and happy :)

Congratulations my "sister" on going through breast cancer. I'm 6 years out of my diagnosis and I know what you mean about the meds. I just got off so I sure hope the weight gain comes off. First the bathing suit you posted will look good because of the rouching and the way the ruffle goes right down the middle.

I always hesitate to getting in a suite, 5'2" 150. I didn't have one with me on the last cruise, May-June, and could have kicked myself. I saw women of all sizes and shapes--I would have fit in perfectly. You wear that suit and you'll look just fine--we're still here and that's the point!!!!

Hi to you too my "sister". Congrats on your 6 years of beating this beast. I am blaming my weight gain on the meds. It does take a toil on your body,but thank goodness we are alive!

Continued good health to you my dear "sister" and many more years of dancing with NED :)

shorbr,

Your teal suit is lovely.

Looks like I'll miss you by two weeks.;) You've picked a Bermudaful place to celebrate your anniversary. Be sure to look for a moongate and pass through it. It’s commonly believed that those who pass through a moongate are blessed with good fortune. Just a little something to put the icing on the cake for you for continued health and happiness.:)

728af6f3.jpg

Hi to you too my "sister". Congrats on your 6 years of beating this beast. I am blaming my weight gain on the meds. It does take a toil on your body,but thank goodness we are alive!

Continued good health to you my dear "sister" and many more years of dancing with NED :)

I blame my weight gain on my age and meds. I have not had breast cancer-just diabetes and when I had to go on meds to make insulin (instead of meds getting insulin out of my fat cells as formerly) I gained a good 30 pounds. I went from an 8/10 to a 14/16

I still like the same style suit, a skirted tankini. I used to pick that style to be modest-now I pick that because that actually looks best on me.

I blame my weight gain on my age and meds. I have not had breast cancer-just diabetes and when I had to go on meds to make insulin (instead of meds getting insulin out of my fat cells as formerly) I gained a good 30 pounds. I went from an 8/10 to a 14/16

I still like the same style suit, a skirted tankini. I used to pick that style to be modest-now I pick that because that actually looks best on me.

Hi!!!

Good to hear from you. I actually can't wait to wear it now because my husband thinks I look cute in it...lol...cute at 57!

Glad you found such an adorable suit... and honey there is no such thing as 'too heavy'. I'm a big girl - much bigger than you. I don't wear them but i know commercially many places you can get up to a size 44 womens in swim wear. Beyond that there's always a seamstress or tailor who can make something fit and make a woman look amazing. It's not what size you are or what issues you have - it's how you beam with confidence when you wear something that is the true fit of swimwear or anything.

As a big girl personally i always go for the swim dresses that are a bit longer. I have one that for the first time every i'm comfortable to walk around without hiding behind something. It's almost identical to the floor length dress i wore to have my vows renewed and i've even gotten compliments on how cute it is! Here it is mine is black:

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Swimdress-with-White-Side-Bow.aspx?PfId=187551&DeptId=9861&ProductTypeId=1&StyleNo=3318

For other larger ladies who might be reading this and needing a place to go, google search Catherines, Romans, or even One Stop Plus - I got mine from Romans.

I am bigger than you and I wear a regular one piece swim suit.

I learned to stop caring what other people thought of me a long time ago. I love me and I think I'm beautiful, fat and all.

You are never too heavy for a swim suit or too heavy to love yourself. This may sound preachy but try looking yourself in the mirror every morning and try daily affirmations. It builds your confidence right up.

Good luck hope you find something that makes you feel gorgeous and confident. I think boy short swim suits are cute.

This is it. I ordered it in teal...

http://www.alwaysforme.com/plus-size-bathing-suit-80823wa.html

What ya think?

CONGRATS ON BEING A SURVIVOR !!!! \O/ YAY !!!

That suit is sooooo cute !! Great choice !!

I have a hard time finding suits I like because my top and my bottom are not the same size :rolleyes: so I have to find separate pieces. I have enjoyed the tankini top and swim shorts. Lots easier to get out of than 1 piece suits when potty time calls :eek:

My sister and her daughter-in-law recently clued me in to looking for exercise or bike riding type shorts and the exercise tops with built in bras for support and modesty. Roll the shorts up a little if they are too long. The stretchiness of the "work out" material kept the top from floating up in the water. They both looked really good too !! I will definitely check out that option next time I'm shopping for swimwear.

I agree with other posters ... don't give a second thought about what you will look like (or what you think you will look like). This is YOUR vacation and you just feel good and have fun!!! You will never see 99.9% of those people again so really, who cares what they think :rolleyes: !!! I don't think any of us are ever satisfied with our bodies no matter what "size" we are.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE :)

CONGRATS ON BEING A SURVIVOR !!!! \O/ YAY !!!

That suit is sooooo cute !! Great choice !!

I have a hard time finding suits I like because my top and my bottom are not the same size :rolleyes: so I have to find separate pieces. I have enjoyed the tankini top and swim shorts. Lots easier to get out of than 1 piece suits when potty time calls :eek:

My sister and her daughter-in-law recently clued me in to looking for exercise or bike riding type shorts and the exercise tops with built in bras for support and modesty. Roll the shorts up a little if they are too long. The stretchiness of the "work out" material kept the top from floating up in the water. They both looked really good too !! I will definitely check out that option next time I'm shopping for swimwear.

I agree with other posters ... don't give a second thought about what you will look like (or what you think you will look like). This is YOUR vacation and you just feel good and have fun!!! You will never see 99.9% of those people again so really, who cares what they think :rolleyes: !!! I don't think any of us are ever satisfied with our bodies no matter what "size" we are.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE :)

Thanks so much...and guess what, I ordered my 4th swimsuit!!!

Glad you found such an adorable suit... and honey there is no such thing as 'too heavy'. I'm a big girl - much bigger than you. I don't wear them but i know commercially many places you can get up to a size 44 womens in swim wear. Beyond that there's always a seamstress or tailor who can make something fit and make a woman look amazing. It's not what size you are or what issues you have - it's how you beam with confidence when you wear something that is the true fit of swimwear or anything.

As a big girl personally i always go for the swim dresses that are a bit longer. I have one that for the first time every i'm comfortable to walk around without hiding behind something. It's almost identical to the floor length dress i wore to have my vows renewed and i've even gotten compliments on how cute it is! Here it is mine is black:

http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Swimdress-with-White-Side-Bow.aspx?PfId=187551&DeptId=9861&ProductTypeId=1&StyleNo=3318

For other larger ladies who might be reading this and needing a place to go, google search Catherines, Romans, or even One Stop Plus - I got mine from Romans.

That swim dress is adorable! I'm going to wear mine with pride, and besides, my husband says that I look cute :)

I am not overweight but have larger breasts and areas i need to hide due to having 3 babies so i was looking for 'modest' suits and found Hapari.com and i found that they have a plus size section too. The suits themselves are made of such high quality, the suits are, customer service is so awesome too!!! I send all of my frends and family to them and they all have loved them, skinny, fluffy and in between!

Hapari.com

Congrates on being a survivor I too am a 5 year survivor and will me leaving for my celebration cruise in a couple weeks, I guess im thinking the opposite of you, I recently lost 58lbs and am looking forward to fitting my 18 swimsuit and really dont care what others think. I learned going through cancer God gave me this body and I am blessed to have it flaws and all. I wouldnt let others thoughts or comments bother you, on our last cruise I wore a swim suit and I was over 300lbs and never even thought about what others thought. I hope you enjoy your time by the pool and again like others said you more then likely will never see these people again

Anne

Congrates on being a survivor I too am a 5 year survivor and will me leaving for my celebration cruise in a couple weeks, I guess im thinking the opposite of you, I recently lost 58lbs and am looking forward to fitting my 18 swimsuit and really dont care what others think. I learned going through cancer God gave me this body and I am blessed to have it flaws and all. I wouldnt let others thoughts or comments bother you, on our last cruise I wore a swim suit and I was over 300lbs and never even thought about what others thought. I hope you enjoy your time by the pool and again like others said you more then likely will never see these people again

Anne

Congrats "sister". I will be 8 years out on the August 31st. I remember when I took my celebration cruise in 2005. I never thought I would live to see it come.

You go girl with your weight loss. Once again, congrats on being a survivor and lets hope that we both have many more years of cruising :D

I would suggest you to forget others and feel happy. Wear clothes that are not much tight to you and in which you can feel relax.

I never wear tight clothes, even when I was small I didnt. But I just got another bathing suit yesterday...now 4...and can't wait to wear them ;)

My daughter and daughter-in-law are both VERY well endowed. Both hate regular swimsuits because they don't give enough support and (even the more modest 1-piecers) show too much cleavage. So they wear a really well-fitting sports bra under a rashguard, plus a man's pair of boardshorts. They don't have chafing issues that way either.

I have lost weight (now size 14) but still have the old thighs rubbing together. I prefer tankinis. I use a magic thing that is AMAZING called Body Glide. It keeps my thighs from rubbing and giving me a rash on beach days. Something to consider if you have that kind of problem.

Happy sailing!

Robin

I'm a plus size woman, and I don't shy away from bathing suits when we are on vacation. My DH would much rather I didn't cover up as much as I do, but still I don't wear long pants, etc.

For our recent trip to Aruba, I purchased a one-piece bathing suit and women's board shorts from Old Navy which I love. It was a great find for snorkeling as well.

Here's the suit: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=80561&vid=8&pid=103731&scid=103731002

Here's the shorts: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=80571&vid=8&pid=627007&scid=627007002

Land's End also has a great selection of swimdresses. I ordered one on clearance back in the winter for like $15!

Mine is sort of similar to this one: http://www.landsend.com/pp/womens-beach-living-batik-dot-twist-front-swimdress~235848_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::UW5&CM_MERCH=IDX_swimwear-_-women-_-shop-by-silhouette-_-one-piece-swimsuits-_-swimdress&origin=index

I also buy at Torrid, Avenue, and Lane Bryant (but there's a really expensive most of the time, so I buy on clearance). :)

I'm a plus size woman, and I don't shy away from bathing suits when we are on vacation. My DH would much rather I didn't cover up as much as I do, but still I don't wear long pants, etc.

For our recent trip to Aruba, I purchased a one-piece bathing suit and women's board shorts from Old Navy which I love. It was a great find for snorkeling as well.

Here's the suit: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=80561&vid=8&pid=103731&scid=103731002

:)

I love your new suit!!

Archived