What to wear when you are too heavy for a bathing suit

shorbr

Shorbr and everyone else who responded so positively-thank you.

I am leaving Thursday for a cruise and my daughters convinced me that I needed to give up my black everything buy some pretty plus size clothes and a bathing suit for the cruise. I was terrified; these comments have helped me, too.

I am so glad you found such a beautiful suit for your cruise. I am sure you will have a great time. I really loved onestopplus for suits and then found a beautiful maxi dress at Target for a cover up.

My Mom was very blunt: "Nobody pays as much attention to you as you think they do!":)

You enjoy yourself on your cruise. I'm thinking like your daughters, that is the reason why I didn't order the bathing suit in black. It's a large leap for me even to wear a swimdress, let alone order it in teal...lol. Glad the comments helped you too and happy cruising :D

I love your new swimsuit! And agree with everyone else, just have fun and enjoy your cruise. You will never see these people again so who cares what they might think.

I hope you have the best time!

Wow, thanks so much. Happy cruising to you too. Have a great time :)

No matter what size you are bathing suit shopping is the devil. It's certainly not my favorite thing to shop for. Its the circus lights and fun house mirrors they put in the dressing rooms:D.

I'm a size 10/12 and I go for the tankini style. I get a 2 piece and its not a bikini. I'm covered(my personal style choice) Target and Old Navy have your size and mix and match styles. good luck and have a great time.

Guess what...My swimdress is here and it is absolutely gorgeous. The color is so brilliant and I look great in it. I ordered it in the next size up and wish I didn't do that, but it's ok. And it feels absolutely comfortable. Even my husband said I looked cute in it :)

Ok, now I am going to get another one. I am soo excited.

Good for you! I too, feel like having an anxiety attack over wearing a swimsuit. But we paid good money for this trip and I'm wearing one anyway. There is always someone bigger and someone smaller. I may not look the best, but I also won't look the worst. I have 3 one piece black suits. One is a shorter swimdress. I found two cute coverup/swim skirts to wear over them and hide my thighs. Academy Sports had a ton of them.

Please...do NOT be self-conscious! You will not be the "heaviest" or have the most cellulite! The fact is, most people are so "self-contained" on a cruise, that they will take no notice. And, if they do...who cares! You don't know them and will never see them again.

If you don't want to wear a skimpy suit, that's fine...but wearing something "out of the ordinary" will simply draw attention to yourself! If you want to wear a suit with a skirt, that can hide a multitude of problems!

But, really...don't worry about it. Find a suit that you're a bit comfortable in...and wear it with pride. Enjoy the pool! No one cares!

Exactly what she said! Word...:p

Thank you to all who posted various sites for swimsuits for those of us that are no longer teenagers! I may be a Grandma but I still want to look nice. Not sure I will need my suit for the Alaska cruise in September but will for the Hawaii cruise in 2013!....................so will order 1 now and another 1-2 in the spring!!:D

A little late to the party, but I adore that teal suit! I am confident saying there is a flattering and appropriate bathing suit made for any size woman! It can take time to find and probably more $$ than being able to hit up Target or Old Navy, but in my opinion it is worth the extra cash to feel comfortable and confident. I hope you wore it and enjoyed the pools on board without feeling self conscious :) Cheers!

shorbr and friends,

I am size 24 and I live in the pool. For our first cruise I had so many swimsuits I didn't even get to wear them all!! No black hiding swimsuits for me. I have zebra prints, florals and bright solids. My suits have the cute little skirts and I love them all!! Sure I'm big, but no one and nothing will stop me from wearing exactly what I want or enjoying a single part of my vacation. Whether I am ziplining, swimming or dancing the night away, I say grab life by the horns and hold on.

shorbr and friends,

I am size 24 and I live in the pool. For our first cruise I had so many swimsuits I didn't even get to wear them all!! No black hiding swimsuits for me. I have zebra prints, florals and bright solids. My suits have the cute little skirts and I love them all!! Sure I'm big, but no one and nothing will stop me from wearing exactly what I want or enjoying a single part of my vacation. Whether I am ziplining, swimming or dancing the night away, I say grab life by the horns and hold on.

You go girl. I love your attitude. I am actually looking forward to wearing my swimsuits, can't wait. Only thing is, I can't swim...but I wanted to be able to enjoy my cruise and the time we will have on sea days. I have always covered up, but this time I wanted to feel free.

Thanks for your words of encouragement :D

A little late to the party, but I adore that teal suit! I am confident saying there is a flattering and appropriate bathing suit made for any size woman! It can take time to find and probably more $$ than being able to hit up Target or Old Navy, but in my opinion it is worth the extra cash to feel comfortable and confident. I hope you wore it and enjoyed the pools on board without feeling self conscious :) Cheers!

I will be wearing my swimwear in October on my upcoming cruise. Can't wait and thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it :)

Good for you! I too, feel like having an anxiety attack over wearing a swimsuit. But we paid good money for this trip and I'm wearing one anyway. There is always someone bigger and someone smaller. I may not look the best, but I also won't look the worst. I have 3 one piece black suits. One is a shorter swimdress. I found two cute coverup/swim skirts to wear over them and hide my thighs. Academy Sports had a ton of them.

If you can, would you be able to give me the website for Academy Sports? I am about to order a couple more, that way I won't have to pack so many clothes, except for the evening. We both love to dress up, but as far as daytime is concerned, swimsuits and cover ups for me!!!

Thanks.

All my suits have skirted bottoms and I love them. Just remember, you can't wear shorts as a cover up, you'll need a sun dress. And I always bring a sarong to use as a cover up. They are great--hide everything AND you can use it as a lounge chair cover to avoid sticking to the vinyl.

shorbr...comparing your stats we are very similar in size...I'm 5'1' and 210 and I wear 18W and trust me...plenty of cellulite. Don't stress about it. I have been on 6 cruises and I always see people smaller than me and people bigger than me. Honestly, they say the average american woman is a size 14 so you're just a little bigger. Yes, I would like to lose weight and I'm constantly "working on it" but my husband loves me and I refuse to let this weight keep me from doing what I want. I go swimming in the pool and lay out on every cruise, go snorkeling, parasailing, we rode Segway's in St. Marteen....don't laugh but I've even laid out "in the buff" on our balcony with my beautiful husband...you only have one life and none of us are perfect...try not to worry about it and enjoy yourself. I have learned that I will regret the things I don't do so much more than the things I do.

What she said, except for the nude sun bathing!:eek:;):D LOL

I'm past caring what people think. I try to always look my best. I'm a fashionista (on a budget) and I love clothes. As long as my DH and DS (17) are not embarrassed by me I could care less about what others thinks. I rock my size 16 swimsuits! I get them cheap at places like, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Ross for Less!;)

If you can, would you be able to give me the website for Academy Sports? I am about to order a couple more, that way I won't have to pack so many clothes, except for the evening. We both love to dress up, but as far as daytime is concerned, swimsuits and cover ups for me!!!

Thanks.

I went to their local store but I bet you could google it.

Yes, hearty congratulations on being a survivor. That's the only important thing. Lands' End has great swimsuits in many many sizes including petite, mastectomy, D & DD, etc. Their plus size swim dresses or separates with skirts look great on their website. I just bought 2 new "slender suits" from landsend.com (have gained 30 pounds since my last cruise, sigh) and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. Suits are returnable at any Sears store, a real plus for shopping landsend.com .

I like rashguards as coverups and to prevent sunburn. Check the men's rashguards at landsend. Coolibar and Solumbra make women's full-zip swim shirts with high SPF. A sarong looks nice on anyone, just tie it around the waist and go. Can be used to cover yourself if you don't want too much sun while sitting on deck.

Have fun on your cruise!

Could I just add another prospective?

I love the idea of "its my vacation, who cares what people think" but, I think you should wear whatever makes you comfortable even if that means wearing men's swim trunks. Just try to find something so you can enjoy your cruise in your own way.

I found this option but the price is crazy: http://www.alwaysforme.com/swim-shorts-plus-sizes-3075542.html#InfoTab1

Check out llbean and Lands End for ladies and men's sport shorts. Wear them in the water, if that makes you comfortable!

Have a blast on your cruise!

Could I just add another prospective?

I love the idea of "its my vacation, who cares what people think" but, I think you should wear whatever makes you comfortable even if that means wearing men's swim trunks. Just try to find something so you can enjoy your cruise in your own way.

I found this option but the price is crazy: http://www.alwaysforme.com/swim-shorts-plus-sizes-3075542.html#InfoTab1

Check out llbean and Lands End for ladies and men's sport shorts. Wear them in the water, if that makes you comfortable!

Have a blast on your cruise!

Thanks so much. I ordered both my swimsuits from alwaysforme.com, and they look good on me. Can't wait to wear them. They feel comfortable and my husband says that I look cute. Do you think 58 is too old to look cute...lololol

Thanks so much. I ordered both my swimsuits from alwaysforme.com, and they look good on me. Can't wait to wear them. They feel comfortable and my husband says that I look cute. Do you think 58 is too old to look cute...lololol

Most certainly not, cute doesn't have an age limit!! :D I'm 68 and my significant other tells me I'm cute.

Just wanted to say I love, love the swimdress and I think you will look great. And, as a cancer survivor, you know that it's the quality of life, not the quantity or what anyone else thinks! ;) You have earned the right to express yourself, your husband loves you, you love life - that's all that matters. Go cruising and enjoy yourself!! :)

Sue

Most certainly not, cute doesn't have an age limit!! :D I'm 68 and my significant other tells me I'm cute.

Just wanted to say I love, love the swimdress and I think you will look great. And, as a cancer survivor, you know that it's the quality of life, not the quantity or what anyone else thinks! ;) You have earned the right to express yourself, your husband loves you, you love life - that's all that matters. Go cruising and enjoy yourself!! :)

Sue

So sweet to say that. We will be celebrating our 4 years anniversary on our cruise and this is the first time in my life that I have been so happy. I know that is off topic, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Kolhs has mix match plus sized with shorts and skirts plus the swim dresses

When on sale a decent priced suit for the 2 pcs.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/special_sizes/womens_plus/bottoms/PRD~950241/Croft+and+Barrow+Hip+Minimizer+Solid+Skirtini+Bottoms++Womens+Plus.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/special_sizes/womens_plus/tops/PRD~979470/SONOMA+life+++style+Floral+Tankini+Top++Womens+Plus.jsp

I have a larger bottom half than top so the option to have diff sizes helps! I love the skirt covering my flabby cellulite thighs! The shoulder straps are adjustable so I can keep them from falling off my shoulders

I just wanted to chime in and add my two cents worth!

Let's start with congratulations for a couple things! First, you are a survivor and should stand proud. Second, as a survivor you are out doing things, not sitting home with a poor attitude (cheers to you!). Third, you asked for advice and took it!! yay!!

I have to say that as others have stated you will find people bigger and smaller than you on the cruise. In my experience, my cruise seemed like the LEAST judgemental place I have ever worn a swimsuit. Not only did no one notice me in my suit, but I only noticed ONE other person in a suit. Yes, she was larger than me, but the reason I noticed her was that her suit was absolutely stunning and she looked gorgeous in it, and I told her so!

Enjoy your cruise, wear color, and live your life. You deserve it!!

Jane .... That's exactly what I do and I'm NOT at all over weight (109 lbs).

Works great for me! Men/Boys bathing suits have pockets which are very convenient. In addition to no longer looking good in a two-piece :rolleyes:, I need the sun protection of a shirt. Over a woman's bathsuit top I normally wear a light weight UA shirt because it drys quickly.

Women of any size can do the same.

Thanks for mentioning about the pockets.

What a good idea.

Archived