Dive Operator on Maui??

Tiki_Man

We are sailing on the Pride of America on Aug 4th. First day in Maui we are doing a Helicoptor tour in the morning and then in the afternoon I want to dive while wife and daughter go back and relax on the ship. We hope to do a Luau later that evening also.

I am looking for a Dive Operator close to the port that does afternoon dives (2 tank would be great). NCL does not offer so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

With POA, you'll dock at Kahului. There are many dive ops in Lahaina, or closer to the south/west, Kihei/Makena area.

Most of the dive ops go out very early in the morning. The trade winds pick up around noon and the sea can be rough. We're on the POA on Aug. 25. So for the 2nd day in Maui, I've booked diving with Makena Coast, for an early 6:30am checkin. Some other ops have earlier checkin time. The signature dive or snorkel trip is going to Molokini. Those trips are usually early morning trips.

Thank you for the info. I was afraid that most operators want to get out early. My problem is that we are doing the "Captain Zodiac" tour on the 2nd Maui day so that does not fit for me (and we won't be docked and cleared in time to catch something early on 1st day). Might be able to switch the Zodiac day to first day and then do the Helicoptor tour on the 2nd day in the afternoon (after a morning dive). Worth a shot maybe. I will check out Makena Coast and see what they say. Thanks

I am not sure how helpful this is, but at least you will get a bump.:D

I When we go to Maui next year we will be using Ed Robinson's diving. I have NOT dived before but we did do a Snorkel excursion with his wife and the experience was so good I will definitely be using them for our first scuba. It was our best snorkel we have ever been on and it was a SHORE snorkel to boot! The reviews online speak for themselves! Since posting links is not allowed google "Dave Robinson Maui scuba"

They also leave out of Kihei which may work a little better for you than Lahaina. Good luck!

-Nate

Most Maui dive ops seem to have good reputation, including Ed Robinsons. It's different than in Oahu and especially Waikiki where you'll see fly by night ops popping up here and there.

Tiki, you might want to check how high the helicoptors fly, because you may not be allowed to fly that high after a dive.

Malinger, before trying the first scuba on the trip, you might want to do some Discovery scuba on land somewhere first. Can do some study or pool instructions before the trip. Or on the trip, do some scuba in Oahu. Diving in Maui seems to be a lot more expensive, and there are more advanced divers who go a little further away on boats. In Oahu many ops cater to more beginners.

My daughter is a Certified instructor and diver in Honolulu she works for a great company Dive Oahu, I'm sure if you go to their web site or facebook page they could recommend great companies in Maui, She goes to Maui a lot to dive also.

Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. In regards to the Heli flight, they are not pressurized and don't go about 10K ft so it would be fine. Probably won't do a dive on the same day as the flight anyway.

Now looking at some sort of combo snorkel/dive boat out of Kona (Body GLove). My wife can relax, my daughter snorkel and I dive - winner's all...

It's not a dive question - but does anyone have a good feel for taking Heli sight seeing tours in the morning or afternoon (1st week in Aug).

Thanks again.

Tiki

Even if the Heli doesn't go above 10k ft, it is still too high. I remember that you don't want to drive up Mt Haleakala because it's 10k ft. So that pretty well puts a heli ride out of the question after a dive.

In Kauai, a heli ride is better in the morning, as it can get more clouds in the afternoon. Don't know about other islands.

Archived