Can I bring a power strip for our cabin?

That is the Belkin power adapter with 3x 3 prong, polarized outlet and 2 x usb charger and I've traveled the world by air, land and sea with it for close to 10 years with it, to protect delicate electronics - and it comes with insurance protection in the unlikely case of damages caused by the failure of the Belkin. It rotate or turn to fit the outlet and make it easy to connect the adapter and plugs - disconnect it from the cabin/stateroom's single 110V wall when not in use.

The newer one has a higher rating (10W) so it can handle a bigger load, including USB output (newer smartphones & tablets including the iPad2+'s requiring at least 1A if not 2A) vs. the "original" Belkin at 500 mA (fine for digital camera, older mobile devices & iPods, etc.) and cost a bit more. I have no reasons to upgrade mine but for anyone thinking of getting one (on xBay, xMazon and at your local Target/Walmart, Bestbuy or Microcenter, etc. - I recommend spending a more, a tiny investment that will pay for itself for many times over.

SDC10354-Belkin%20Power%20Adapter.JPG

Extension cord, when short ones, always pose a safety & tripping hazard across the floor and make sure you keep liquid away to avoid getting shocked.

On CCL ships, as in NCL and RCI - there is usually a 2nd. power outlet for 220-240 volt appliance - most folks do not take advantage of it and do not realize that "most" laptop or netbook computers, iPad, iPhone and smartphone power charger/adapter will work (and, auto-switch) on 220 power. You will need an inexpensive round-adapter plug, so that it will securely plug in and connect safely to use it - and, always disconnect it when unattended.

I have one similar and have taken it on several cruises. It has only been "confiscated" once and that was on the Freedom last September. It was packed in my suitcases and I opened my bag to find a note about it. Left my $1 extension cord; but took my expensive Belkin outlet. No amount of persuasion got it back (until the cruise was over).

I've had no problem on every other Carnival ship I've taken it on. I guess it depends on who is in security and what kind of day he's having or who is watching over his shoulder.

• 1 year later...

Ok, I am confused. On another thread people were stating that power strips with surge protectors were NOT allowed and to only bring power strips without surge protectors...

And in Carnival's Restricted items list in "Exceptions" they state:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/session/L3RpbWUvMTQzNTE1MTg4Ny9zaWQvYVBUNExIcG0%3D

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

So which is it? Do they allow regular power strips, plug boxes and extension cords but not the ones with surge protectors?

From FAQ - extension cords, power strips (WITHOUT SURGE PROTECTORS) are allowed

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

From FAQ - extension cords, power strips (WITHOUT SURGE PROTECTORS) are allowed

That's what I just said! ;) Several on a previous thread on this topic said that the ones WITH surge protection were not allowed - something to do with inconsistent power surges on ships that causes problems to the ships electrical system when you have a power strip with a surge protector.

To my mind, that would make it even MORE sensible to have a power strip WITH surge protection, but they were adamant that surge protectors are not allowed on board and the FAQ would seem to bear that out. People on this thread are saying to get power strips with surge protection so was just trying to point out that it appears from the FAQ that they will allow the ones without surge protection, which leads me to believe that they will not allow the ones with surge protection.

On land, a surge gets sent to ground. There is nowhere to send the surge on the ship, except back the way it came, which can cause all kinds of problems. That's why they say no surge protection.

Perfect - and makes sense, even to a blonde like me ;). Thanks!

So perhaps people whose power strips have been confiscated had the surge protection? I purposely bought one without surge protection and will be taking it in my carry on in the package I bought it in which shows it does not have the surge protection.

l Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle, Inspiration, and Imaginaton (after 1/26/14) from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin) I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

This is the one I purchased for our recent trip. I had it in my carry-on bag and no one said anything about it, but I imagine some of it is just luck. I kept it in a drawer when we weren't in our cabin, and it survived the entire voyage with no incidents.

I actually hadn't realized it would swivel, and was very pleased when my husband figured that out. After I realized the original configuration wouldn't work with the furniture and plug we ended up with.

All that said, for all my worries about charging things, I don't think we ever actually had more than two things plugged in at any one time, and with a little bit of juggling we could probably have made do well enough without it. Our phone batteries drain a lot more slowly when they're in airplane mode.

That's what I just said! ;) Several on a previous thread on this topic said that the ones WITH surge protection were not allowed - something to do with inconsistent power surges on ships that causes problems to the ships electrical system when you have a power strip with a surge protector.

To my mind, that would make it even MORE sensible to have a power strip WITH surge protection, but they were adamant that surge protectors are not allowed on board and the FAQ would seem to bear that out. People on this thread are saying to get power strips with surge protection so was just trying to point out that it appears from the FAQ that they will allow the ones without surge protection, which leads me to believe that they will not allow the ones with surge protection.

I was going to go into a long discussion about ship's electrical power, but I will repeat that surge protectors are not needed onboard ship, don't work properly onboard ships, can cause serious problems onboard ships, and are not allowed.

I've gone back and found that this is one thread where I haven't posted the USCG Safety Notice about surge protectors, so I'll post the link. This is why the cruise lines don't allow these:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

I was going to go into a long discussion about ship's electrical power, but I will repeat that surge protectors are not needed onboard ship, don't work properly onboard ships, can cause serious problems onboard ships, and are not allowed.

I've gone back and found that this is one thread where I haven't posted the USCG Safety Notice about surge protectors, so I'll post the link. This is why the cruise lines don't allow these:

Thanks! Made sure the one I am bringing is not Surge protected. As a side note - the teenager in my profile picture is now in the Coast Guard, I will have to tell him his mom is following Coast Guard recommendations ;)!

Thanks! Made sure the one I am bringing is not Surge protected. As a side note - the teenager in my profile picture is now in the Coast Guard, I will have to tell him his mom is following Coast Guard recommendations ;)!

Tell him that this old salt thanks the "Puddle Pirates" and "Knee-deep Navy" for their service. :D

Tell him that this old salt thanks the "Puddle Pirates" and "Knee-deep Navy" for their service. :D

Will do! He has been in for 3 years now - 2 years in Kodiak on the Munro, and now in Alameda. Loves it!

Fascinating and informative. This should be a CC sticky somewhere.