Can I bring a power strip for our cabin?

would someone really try to board with a canoe,a bike ,brass knuckles,throwing stars,explosives ( including detonators),handcuffs and stun guns and a hookah ,toaster and some candles .LOL

Only if they were planning to have a good time at the S and M party

Say what you will but my DH and I always brought a power bar with surge protector on all our cruises. On our last one on the Freedom last year, we had an electric tootbrush and night light plugged in before we went for dinner, as we had done for the last 10 days. We have always done this and the power bar was in excellent working order - we had just bought it before this cruise, although it was taken out of the package before we left home. After dinner we returned to our cabin and opened to door to this God-aweful smell. The power bar had fried and it was a good thing we had the surge protector, otherwise we would have put the whole ship at risk.

So for us, no more power bars. We will charge\plug in only one thing at a time and use the one outlet provided in our cabin. We learned a valuable lesson that day, on top of having to live with the stench for three of four days.

This scared the hell out of us. We no lomger take a power bar - even wiith a surge protector! We sure don't want to be the reason for setting fire to a ship....

• 1 year later...
I had one confiscated from my cabin before (I think the Pride in 2011). I had letter on my bed after dinner that this was considered a prohibited item and that I could retrieve the morning of debarkation. I have yet to find where it is documented that a power strip is not allowed. It was smaller one, maybe 4 or 5 outlets.

See post 10.

Say what you will but my DH and I always brought a power bar with surge protector on all our cruises. On our last one on the Freedom last year, we had an electric tootbrush and night light plugged in before we went for dinner, as we had done for the last 10 days. We have always done this and the power bar was in excellent working order - we had just bought it before this cruise, although it was taken out of the package before we left home. After dinner we returned to our cabin and opened to door to this God-aweful smell. The power bar had fried and it was a good thing we had the surge protector, otherwise we would have put the whole ship at risk.

So for us, no more power bars. We will charge\plug in only one thing at a time and use the one outlet provided in our cabin. We learned a valuable lesson that day, on top of having to live with the stench for three of four days.

This scared the hell out of us. We no lomger take a power bar - even wiith a surge protector! We sure don't want to be the reason for setting fire to a ship....

There is a recent thread about the same problem. Scary.

There is a recent thread about the same problem. Scary.

I'm going to guess that if they didn't have the power bar stuff would have been fried anyways.

You need to buy the real things (the ones that come with a warranty) not the dollar store version.

Ship power isn't perfect. Surges happen. Surge protectors are great and necessary.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I'm confused....help.

As many have posted, and I also seem to remember this from our last cruise, there is only 1 outlet in our stateroom. At this day and age that is tough considering most of us today have a smart phone, plus your significant others phone, digital camera, digital video recorder & other electronics that need charging throughout the week.

I've seen people say here on the board to bring a power strip so that you can recharge your electronic gadgets throughout the cruise.

However....I've read on this board twice now how someone had their power strip confiscated as an item not allowed and I've seen a picture of one along with bottles of booze and other no-no's taken on the last day of someone's cruise awaiting their return to their owners.

So what are we to do? What can we bring that is "ok" for recharging multiple electronics?

Help?

We got called to the naughty room and had our power strip confiscated on our last cruise. First time in over 25 cruises - go figure! :mad:

DH and I both use CPAP machines and are sailing on carnival Fantasy in November. What should we bring to plug those in on both sides of the bed without setting the ship on fire?

The only outlet is by the vanity so you may need an extension cord to plug your CPAPs in. I've taken a power strip on all nine of my previous cruises. I've never had an issue with confiscation but had never considered it to be a safety hazard either. This thread is insightful!

Ive never had a problem with taking one I usually take a 3 outlet with the USB ports built into it and plug it in behind the tv. Been on 11 cruises and never had a problem. Now they did take my fan one time but that was my fault for trying to take one that was all metal. The plastic one has always went through with no problems.

I'm confused....help.

As many have posted, and I also seem to remember this from our last cruise, there is only 1 outlet in our stateroom. At this day and age that is tough considering most of us today have a smart phone, plus your significant others phone, digital camera, digital video recorder & other electronics that need charging throughout the week.

I've seen people say here on the board to bring a power strip so that you can recharge your electronic gadgets throughout the cruise.

However....I've read on this board twice now how someone had their power strip confiscated as an item not allowed and I've seen a picture of one along with bottles of booze and other no-no's taken on the last day of someone's cruise awaiting their return to their owners.

So what are we to do? What can we bring that is "ok" for recharging multiple electronics?

Help?

I use a CPAP machine, I need an extension cord. Got some tips from here to put the extension cord inside the CPAP carrying case with the machine there, no problem with security on our May 2013 Valor cruise out of San Juan. I know you can borrow an extension cord from the ship, I just want to play it safe in case they run out.

I also used a 220v -> 110v converter (adapter), plug that into the other outlet (European?), worked great too.

We are going on the Breeze in December 2013, don't know where I got the idea that there are 2 110v outlets (not just one), side by side + another 220v outlet, can someone confirm? We will be in a cove balcony, not a suite if that makes a difference.

Edited by Retiringworkingstiff

DH and I both use CPAP machines and are sailing on carnival Fantasy in November. What should we bring to plug those in on both sides of the bed without setting the ship on fire?

CPAPs don't pull a lot of current. For mine, I've always used a 12 ft lamp extension cord. They typically have 3 outlets on them. That lets me charge up my IPOD, camera, or whatever at night while I'm sleeping. I wouldn't leave my phone or IPOD out and charging during the day when I'm not in cabin, so I roil the extension cord up and tuck it a drawer so no one trips over it, and so that the steward doesn't have to decide if he has to take it or not.

Since you have two machines. Check the tags on both machines for the current draw (amps.) Then add the current from both machines and see if it it less than what the extension cord is rated at. If that's okay, you can use the one extension cord to run both machines. You would most likely (?) run the extension on the floor under the bed to get it close enough to plug in both machine.

As someone else suggested, you could probably make use of the 220 European plug via an adapter and 2nd extension cord.

I have taken this at least a dozen times with no problem.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

Hi Tony, hope you can help out.

The 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports.

On A___n.com

There is one (Surge Protector 1 AMP / 5 Watt) for $10.18 and another one (SurgePlus 2.1 AMP / 10 Watt) for $27.73.

What one should I buy?

Thanks.

Just got off the Dream yesterday. Took a brand new GE 5 outlet surge protector still in the packaging in my carryon. TSA guy found it and took it to his supervisor, who approved it. We left it plugged in all week in the one outlet available by the mirror on the desk, had stuff plugged in on/off all week. Never had it confiscated. Last cruise I took a brand new one on too as advised by these boards at the time didn't have a problem then either.

Personally, I wouldn't use a surge protector/extension cord from the dollar store in my home or anywhere else.

Edited by wannago35

That is the Belkin power adapter with 3x 3 prong, polarized outlet and 2 x usb charger and I've traveled the world by air, land and sea with it for close to 10 years with it, to protect delicate electronics - and it comes with insurance protection in the unlikely case of damages caused by the failure of the Belkin. It rotate or turn to fit the outlet and make it easy to connect the adapter and plugs - disconnect it from the cabin/stateroom's single 110V wall when not in use.

The newer one has a higher rating (10W) so it can handle a bigger load, including USB output (newer smartphones & tablets including the iPad2+'s requiring at least 1A if not 2A) vs. the "original" Belkin at 500 mA (fine for digital camera, older mobile devices & iPods, etc.) and cost a bit more. I have no reasons to upgrade mine but for anyone thinking of getting one (on xBay, xMazon and at your local Target/Walmart, Bestbuy or Microcenter, etc. - I recommend spending a more, a tiny investment that will pay for itself for many times over.

SDC10354-Belkin%20Power%20Adapter.JPG

Extension cord, when short ones, always pose a safety & tripping hazard across the floor and make sure you keep liquid away to avoid getting shocked.

On CCL ships, as in NCL and RCI - there is usually a 2nd. power outlet for 220-240 volt appliance - most folks do not take advantage of it and do not realize that "most" laptop or netbook computers, iPad, iPhone and smartphone power charger/adapter will work (and, auto-switch) on 220 power. You will need an inexpensive round-adapter plug, so that it will securely plug in and connect safely to use it - and, always disconnect it when unattended.

Edited by mking8288

Hi Tony, hope you can help out.

The 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports.

On A___n.com

There is one (Surge Protector 1 AMP / 5 Watt) for $10.18 and another one (SurgePlus 2.1 AMP / 10 Watt) for $27.73.

What one should I buy?

Thanks.

The one I have is the 1amp/5watt model #BZ103050TVL. It has been good to me. We use it quite frequently on weekend trips and for the last dozen or so cruises. It might not be a bad idea like the previous poster that has this says and buy the upgraded one.

Edited by finoky
added info

Here's one I have been using for a long time.

No problem getting it on. Might be because it only has 3 plugs. Newer models also have USB charge ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Outlets-To-Power-Strip-USB/dp/B0018MEBNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382287058&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+power+strip

It's great because it is so small, and the cord wraps for travel.

Bob

I have taken this at least a dozen times with no problem.

belkin-power-usb.jpg

I had one with no swivel. Didn't really work with the position of the plug in the cabin so I'm upgrading

l Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle, Inspiration, and Imaginaton (after 1/26/14) from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin) I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

I have a triple plug, as well. Looks like this. I've never had a problem.

TriplePlug.jpg

Can someone confirm that this particular "power strip" will fit all/most all Carnival ships? We were on Valor 4 weeks ago, and I vaguely recall that the electrical outlet in our stateroom--located at the bottom of the desk/dressing mirror--was just a couple inches above that desk, meaning there might not be a lot of clearance for this unit--if it has to be plugged in vertically. Any ideas?

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic