Chocolate tour

Njbosoxgirl

Has anyone heard of a chocolate factory on Belize?

On our last trip to Belize, 5/02/2012 there was a fairly new Chocolate Factory located in the Tourist Village which my wife said was a ball. You can pay $20.00 & you get to make a couple of chocolate bars. They also offer a spicy hot chocolate. It is located quite close to the Wet Lizzard in the TV.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

The above website is for New York. Any suggestions?

Actually, that website is correct. The company, "MOHO Chocolate" is in New York but gets their cacoa beans from Moho River Cacoa Company in Belize. The photo on the MOHO Chocolate website is of the store in the Tourist Village (I think). Another website: http://mohorivercacao.tumblr.com/ is for the bean supplier. Unfortunately, none of these websites speak directly about the location at the Tourist Village in Belize City.

Edited by OKC Cruisers

Thanks, I sent an email to the address in New York, and the forwarded it Belize. I was able to email the store in the village. They said they make candy bars all day long, so we just need to stop by. I cannot wait to do this!

Did a search and found this pdf that shows it's location. I think this will be something fun to do with my 5 year old while Daddy and big brother go ziplining and cave tubing. I had planned on just staying on the ship because I didn't think there would be anything fun for us to do....

Anyone have an idea of cost for the tour, cost to make the candy bars or times available? We are cave tubing but would love to do this on the way back the ship plus Grandma is staying back and it looks like something fun for her to do.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Is the Village where the tenders drop off? We would LOVE to check this place out;)

@ newbie mom I'm wondering the same thing

The area is refereed to a Tourist Village I believe. My parents were confused as well as Royal's excursion kept describing they would be dropped off at there.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Anyone have an idea of cost for the tour, cost to make the candy bars or times available? We are cave tubing but would love to do this on the way back the ship plus Grandma is staying back and it looks like something fun for her to do.

BonVoyage

Dawna

My wife looked into this this past early May & tells me that it is $20 US, & in addition to the tour you can make three chocolate bars which are a nice size bar.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

My wife and daughter got some chocolate bars made, I bought some chocolate shot glasses and for a buck or two the glass came filled, a nice way if you want to try Barrel 1 Belizean rum or Belizean Cashew Wine etc..

We loved Belize and wandered the city after touring the brewery. The Moho Chocolate place is in the T. Village, but you will not experiance Belize unless you leave the gated village. Wander out, the folks are friendly and the town, though run-down, is vibrant in many ways with some great architecture.

My wife and daughter got some chocolate bars made, I bought some chocolate shot glasses and for a buck or two the glass came filled, a nice way if you want to try Barrel 1 Belizean rum or Belizean Cashew Wine etc..

We loved Belize and wandered the city after touring the brewery. The Moho Chocolate place is in the T. Village, but you will not experiance Belize unless you leave the gated village. Wander out, the folks are friendly and the town, though run-down, is vibrant in many ways with some great architecture.

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait... We are actually going to Altun ha and the baboon sanctuary... I'm hoping we have enough time to make chocolate bars

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I just stumbled across the factory walking through the tourist village this past Jan. Just walked in and they asked if they asked us if they could show us around.It was a nice storefront with a kitchen in the back. They showed us around the kitchen and how chocolate was grown and processed. Never charged us a dime for a tour at that time.

There were only about 3 people (customers) there when we arrived and we had the place to ourselves after about 30 minutes.

Be prepared for some unconventional variations on chocolate that are fun to taste. My lips are still puckered from some of the flavors! All that said we bought a ton of the stuff to bring home. They have some weird chocolate bars there. Many of their bars are shaped very similar to Hershey type bars (about 6"X3"???)

We're headed that way again this Jan (13) on the Legend and will definitely drop in for a visit and buy another boat load of the stuff.

Could any of you that have been there tell me if this store/factory is wheelchair accessible? That is, if there is a step(s) at the front or anywhere within the store necessary in order to do the tour or if there are any narrow doorways where a wheelchair would not be able to get through? Thanks.

Could any of you that have been there tell me if this store/factory is wheelchair accessible? That is, if there is a step(s) at the front or anywhere within the store necessary in order to do the tour or if there are any narrow doorways where a wheelchair would not be able to get through? Thanks.

I'm going next month and I will check it out for you!