Directions to Hatchers Pass/Independence Mine

cg_abby

Hello everyone, we leave for our cruise/DIY landtour in a week. On our landtour, we will be driving from Anchorage to Denali National Park (we have a whole day for this, not a rushed drive). We would like to see Hatchers Pass and Independence Mine, but don't know what route to take. As I understand it, there are three main roads- the Wasilla Fishhook, the Willow Fishhook, and then Hatcher Pass Road. Which one is the most scenic route? Which would we take up to the Mine and which would we take to get back on the highway to Denali.

Also, on our way home from Denali to Anchorage, any good attractions? I have heard of the Musk Ox and Reindeer Farms, the Iditarod HQ, anything else to fill a few hours that wouldn't be too expensive and time consuming?

Thank you guys so much for your help, I'm so excited to be headed to Alaska in one week!!!!! :)

On your drive back to Anchorage, if interested in the Iditarod or sled dogs in general, besides Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla, I highly recommend a stop at Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels in Big Lake. We've gone there twice and it is an amazing experience. Meeting Martin (four time Iditarod winner, I believe) in person is just such a thrill! We've gone on this tour twice - 2010 and 2011 - the first time it was just DH and I and another couple. Last year, there were about 10 other folks there with the three of us.

Touring his kennel, handling the puppies and petting the dogs, watching his film, hearing about life on the trail, and experiencing the mock-trail stop he has set up was such an interesting and fun experience! Martin himself is so personable and friendly, interested in what you have to say and happy to answer any questions. He runs tours twice a day I believe, check out his website at www.happytrails.com. He also operates a bed and breakfast on the site, and we're thinking of staying there on our way to Denali next June. Really excellent experience and quite different from the other more touristy things you can do.

You can not do the drive from Willow in a usual rental car, violates your contract and would be the most scenic. :(

The other two routes, are similar and NOT a highlight of the drive, only access to Hatcher Pass. So if coming from Denali you are going to be on the Parks, and would be using Wasilla Fishhook to Hatcher Pass.

You do have THE MILEPOST??? Necessary, especially for first timers.

I would recommend that you drive the Glenn Highway through Palmer to N Palmer Fishhook Rd. Turn left (the only way you can go) and just follow it all the way to Independence Mine. At some point the road name changes to Hatcher Pass Rd. I doubt you have a rental car that would allow you to take Hatcher Pass Rd. all the way to Willow, as it turns to gravel at this point (and not sure you would want to take the time, either, as the road can be in poor condition), so when you leave the area, take the same road back down the mountain, but turn right on Wasilla Fishhook Rd., and take that all the way back to Wasilla. If for some reason you miss Wasilla Fishhook, the next road (Turner) will also take you to Wasilla Fishhook.

Be sure to watch out for moose on this trip..., and going up the mountain, also watch for black bear.

If you want to visit the musk ox farm, that is just the next road after Palmer Fishhook, so on the way to the mine/Hatcher Pass would be a convenient time to stop there.

There aren't many roads in the area, so you can't get lost. Google "Musk Ox Farm Palmer", and then click on the google map for it. Move south just a bit, and you'll see Palmer Fishhook Rd--it's yellow on the map. Just move the map along it, and you'll see the route to take...

these are the only main roads in the area.

(These directions are for on the way TO Denali...reverse them if on the return trip).

Edited by mytime53

On your drive back to Anchorage, if interested in the Iditarod or sled dogs in general, besides Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla, I highly recommend a stop at Martin Buser's Happy Trails Kennels in Big Lake. We've gone there twice and it is an amazing experience. Meeting Martin (four time Iditarod winner, I believe) in person is just such a thrill! We've gone on this tour twice - 2010 and 2011 - the first time it was just DH and I and another couple. Last year, there were about 10 other folks there with the three of us.

Touring his kennel, handling the puppies and petting the dogs, watching his film, hearing about life on the trail, and experiencing the mock-trail stop he has set up was such an interesting and fun experience! Martin himself is so personable and friendly, interested in what you have to say and happy to answer any questions. He runs tours twice a day I believe, check out his website at www.happytrails.com. He also operates a bed and breakfast on the site, and we're thinking of staying there on our way to Denali next June. Really excellent experience and quite different from the other more touristy things you can do.

This whole area is loaded with Kennels and many open them to tourists. Frankly the time to go there is in Feb/March when they can really show you a tour.

The Sled Dog Headquarters, has listings of open kennels and contacts. The Reddington dogs are at the headquarters- major, long time Iditarod players. Cheapest cart rides, likely in Alaska. Interesting, stuffed Togo is there, but Balto is in Cleveland. :) Find out about the interesting story. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Hello everyone, we leave for our cruise/DIY landtour in a week. On our landtour, we will be driving from Anchorage to Denali National Park (we have a whole day for this, not a rushed drive). We would like to see Hatchers Pass and Independence Mine, but don't know what route to take. As I understand it, there are three main roads- the Wasilla Fishhook, the Willow Fishhook, and then Hatcher Pass Road. Which one is the most scenic route? Which would we take up to the Mine and which would we take to get back on the highway to Denali.

Also, on our way home from Denali to Anchorage, any good attractions? I have heard of the Musk Ox and Reindeer Farms, the Iditarod HQ, anything else to fill a few hours that wouldn't be too expensive and time consuming?

Thank you guys so much for your help, I'm so excited to be headed to Alaska in one week!!!!! :)

OK, first of all, Hatcher Pass Road is not a separate route up to Hatcher Pass. It is the road to Hatcher pass that you access from Wasilla Fishhook Road.

Hatcher Pass Road runs from Palmer, where it starts at Wasilla fishhook road and goes over a mountain pass and ends up in Willow.

As BQ said, rental cars are not covered for this road as you will need a 4 wheel drive in the tougher parts of the pass.

That said, Hatcher Pass Road from Wasilla fishhook road is a nice road and is paved for quite a ways up to the Independence mine site.

The easiest way to get there from Anchorage is to take the Palmer cut-off and stay on it till you get to Wasilla Fishhook Road. Then you go straight for a few miles and you will see a sign for the Hatcher Pass Road. Take this road up to Independence mine.

When you are done there, you can take the same road back to Fishhook Road and when you get to Fishhook Road turn right and continue on Fiahhook road (don't go back to Palmer). Fish hook Road will then take you into Wasilla, where you can pick up the Parks Highway. Turn right and head to Denali...

Hatcher Pass Road runs from Palmer, where it starts at Wasilla fishhook road and goes over a mountain pass and ends up in Willow.

The easiest way to get there from Anchorage is to take the Palmer cut-off and stay on it till you get to Wasilla Fishhook Road. Then you go straight for a few miles and you will see a sign for the Hatcher Pass Road. Take this road up to Independence mine.

quote]

These road names are incorrect...Wasilla Fishhook begins in Wasilla, Palmer Fishhook begins in Palmer. To add to the confusion, I see that the Dept. of Highways 511 site shows the road across the top of the pass to Willow as "Willow Fishhook", a name I've never heard/seen until today.

Yes BQ, I am very aware that there are other kennels who offer tours in the area, I'm a huge Iditarod fan and one day (God willing) I WILL make it to Alaska for the Great Race. Its on my bucket list:D! Doesn't mean the kennel tour isn't worthwhile simply because it isn't during Iditarod time. Not everyone, including the OP, is fortunate enough to visit the kennels during the winter months. I was just giving my personalrecommendations for Happy Trails Kennels because I had been there twice and was entranced with Martin and his operation.

Have also been to Iditarod Headquarters twice, and it is definitely fascinating and worth a stop, the Reddington dogs are legendary and very impressive. Cuddling their pups was one of the highlights of the stop there - holding history in your arms is hard to beat!;)

Next year when we get to Denali, Jeff King's kennel is on my list of "must do's", as is Dr. Linda Chamberlain's Howling Husky Homestead in Homer, which we were blessed enough to visit last August.

OP - if you're a dog lover or have an appreciation for the Iditarod or mushing in general, I hope that you will have time and inclination to visit Happy Trails Kennels or any other kennel in the area to give you a brief glimpse into the life of mushing in Alaska. It is truly an amazing sport with the focus being on the true athletes - the four-legged variety!:)

Thank you everyone for your responses. We are renting a seven passenger van from Midnight Sun Rentals in anchorage. I looked on their website for which roads were prohibited and I didn't see any of the ones here listed. Thank you for the suggestions...maybe if someone could find a map that would be helpful, because the road names are confusing. Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your responses. We are renting a seven passenger van from Midnight Sun Rentals in anchorage. I looked on their website for which roads were prohibited and I didn't see any of the ones here listed. Thank you for the suggestions...maybe if someone could find a map that would be helpful, because the road names are confusing. Thanks again.

Looks like you're in luck...they indeed don't restrict the Hatcher Pass Rd.

As for a map, just go to Google maps, and type in Independence Mine, Wasilla AK. When that comes up, hit the directions button. type in Palmer ak. If you type in Anchorage as the beginning point, they give you a backroad route that, since you're headed to Denali that day, you probably don't want to take the time for. You'll see that google maps gives the address as Bogard Rd. That's the right place, but where they get that Bogard Rd. address is beyond me.

We are headed the same way in August. When you return, would you mind sharing where you went, recs etc??

Thanks!

Has anyone actually driven the portion of the road that goes from Hatcher Pass to Willow this summer? I've talked to a few locals who tell me they've driven it in their private 2wd family cars with no troubles at all. My wife and I will be traveling there next week and I intend on trying the drive in my rental. I understand the risk regarding rental restrictions. I'm just looking for a summer 2012 road condition report. Thanks all!

Has anyone actually driven the portion of the road that goes from Hatcher Pass to Willow this summer? I've talked to a few locals who tell me they've driven it in their private 2wd family cars with no troubles at all. My wife and I will be traveling there next week and I intend on trying the drive in my rental. I understand the risk regarding rental restrictions. I'm just looking for a summer 2012 road condition report. Thanks all!

The road just opened on noon Friday. Yesterday would have been a beautiful day to drive it, but had other things going for a sunny day. It's not maintained in the winter, so it doesn't open until the snow melts. I don't know if they grade it before it opens or not. We've never needed 4wd on it. The point of 4wd is more for clearance under the car for the big potholes! If it hasn't been graded recently, you drive SLOWLY.

These road names are incorrect...Wasilla Fishhook begins in Wasilla, Palmer Fishhook begins in Palmer. To add to the confusion, I see that the Dept. of Highways 511 site shows the road across the top of the pass to Willow as "Willow Fishhook", a name I've never heard/seen until today.

While you're absolutely correct, I've always called it just "Fishhook road" being that you can go from Wasilla to Palmer on that one road.

I own a lot on that road. It fronts Fishhook and is about 2 miles past the "hook" on the Wasilla side.....

OK, first of all, Hatcher Pass Road is not a separate route up to Hatcher Pass. It is the road to Hatcher pass that you access from Wasilla Fishhook Road.

As BQ said, rental cars are not covered for this road as you will need a 4 wheel drive in the tougher parts of the pass.

That said, Hatcher Pass Road from Wasilla fishhook road is a nice road and is paved for quite a ways up to the Independence mine site.

When you are done there, you can take the same road back to Fishhook Road and when you get to Fishhook Road turn right and continue on Fiahhook road (don't go back to Palmer). Fish hook Road will then take you into Wasilla, where you can pick up the Parks Highway. Turn right and head to Denali...

Ok yes, these directions make sense. I guess we can always just ask Midnight Sun Rentals when we get our van to see if they have any restrictions/advice. I guess I'm just confused about the very top road on the map I attached in my above post. It says "Hatcher Pass Road" and goes out from Willow. Is that more scenic? Should we take the Palmer or Wasilla Fishhook roads up then drive on the "hatcher pass road" to get back to the Highway to Denali?

I tried to attach a picture of a map I found in another thread here. This is where I got the road names. Thanks for all your help.

Well, unless they just changed the road sign in the last 2 weeks, the road that map calls "Willow Fishhook" doesn't have that name on it. Regardless of the town name, though, the road sign on the Palmer end will have "Fishhook" on it.

Road name changes around here are rampant. It was decided to change a bunch of names/standardize them so that emergency responders could more easily find them. So S/E/W or N got added to a bunch. And cul-de-sacs had to be "Circle". So our Home Court, which we loved as we're a basketball loving family, was changed to S. Home Circle. That was several years ago. But online maps haven't kept up with the changes. So UPS, FedEX, and pizza places have a difficult time finding our place for deliveries:(

Ok yes, these directions make sense. I guess we can always just ask Midnight Sun Rentals when we get our van to see if they have any restrictions/advice. I guess I'm just confused about the very top road on the map I attached in my above post. It says "Hatcher Pass Road" and goes out from Willow. Is that more scenic? Should we take the Palmer or Wasilla Fishhook roads up then drive on the "hatcher pass road" to get back to the Highway to Denali?

The Hatcher Pass Road (from the mine towards the Willow end) is not maintained over the winter, and just opened less than 48 hours ago. It is a beautiful drive (and an eerie drive when there are low clouds!). I have no idea of the condition of the road this year. If it were me, I'd start on it and play it by ear.

The Hatcher Pass Road (from the mine towards the Willow end) is not maintained over the winter, and just opened less than 48 hours ago. It is a beautiful drive (and an eerie drive when there are low clouds!). I have no idea of the condition of the road this year. If it were me, I'd start on it and play it by ear.

If it were me, I would not go the 30 miles on an unpaved road that just opened after a record snowfall. I am sure it is not washed out, but I'll bet it will be one bumpy road. Once you start, it will be difficult to change your mind and go back.

You want to check it out once you get up there. There may be signs warning you of what the road is like.

I still recommend going back down to Fishhook road and taking it to Wasilla. Maybe not as adventurous, but it will not ruin your vacation. FWIW

I believe they do allow the drive. BUT- photograph, before you leave, every side of the car- it probably will have some "areas". You also need to verify what insurance you may be using- if your own auto policy or via credit cards- make sure it isn't void on what they consider "off road". Unpaved highways can be on your own risk. Triple your allowed time you plan and stop and pull over if you see a faster moving vehicle heading your way. :)

My daughter and her friend went hiking yesterday at Hatcher's Pass. Here is a shot of her and her friend's dog taken above the road. If you look just over the dog's head you can see a small portion of the road.

That was a sunny day. In the fog, you cannot see the drop offs....

487999_4383261623822_1435572570_n.jpg.f49fe6765260ae705750bd1a33f584f5.jpg

Edited by AKman2495

Thank you all for the advice/pictures/maps. I will be trying to keep an eye out on any information about the Hatchers Pass road, and we will ask our rental car company what they think. I think we will start up using one of the "Fishhook" roads either from Wasilla or Palmer and at Independence Mine we will try and find out what the condition of the road is. If it looks doubtful then we will just go back down to Wasilla. Thanks for all your help.

• 6 years later...

BUMP

I just drove on Willow Fishhook road from Hatcher Pass to Willow.

Despite all of the warnings of its "danger" and treacherousness, it was a piece of cake.

Road was in very good condition, and didn't feel dangerous at all.

Any standard passenger car or SUV can do it just fine, unless it's raining hard, in which case you should probably avoid it.

Just wanted to put it out there, in case some of you were afraid of making this drive. I'm glad I did it!

BUMP

I just drove on Willow Fishhook road from Hatcher Pass to Willow.

Despite all of the warnings of its "danger" and treacherousness, it was a piece of cake.

Road was in very good condition, and didn't feel dangerous at all.

Any standard passenger car or SUV can do it just fine, unless it's raining hard, in which case you should probably avoid it.

Just wanted to put it out there, in case some of you were afraid of making this drive. I'm glad I did it!

I've never seen anyone refer to the road as "dangerous". Most rental car companies prohibit driving on the unpaved portion between the mine and Willow on the Willow-Fishhook portion of the road. But the prohibition is because that road can get really rough. It's not always rough, but I have driven it a few times where I just about had the fillings shaken out of my teeth...

Glad you had a good drive through. In nice weather, it's very scenic.