Ruby Princess Jun 11-23 Grand Mediterranean review/tips with pictures

AttilaTheFun

By the way, this is the terrible Turkish Delight we bought in Kusadasi - compare the box picture to the actual stuff inside. Notice there is only one dark brown square and absolutely no sesame ones as pictured on the box. The yellow and pink ones tasted like bubble gum awfulness. I was so embarrassed after multiple co-workers tried a piece and then just walked away, without saying anything. It was so bad that I just threw away the rest of the box - disgusting! I would not recommend this brand to anyone.

FB67B79B-6CE7-42E9-8E55-EECE0735C5B5.JPG

Awesome review! I do have a question for you....

On my Mother's Bucket List she want to cruise the MED; do you recommoned this for anyone in a wheelchair? Is it really hard and frustrating to get around the ports? Thank you.

I agree with VinTek - there is a lot of walking required for this itinerary and most places in Europe are not made accessible for wheelchairs, so it would be best to book excursions through the cruise ship. Princess had several tours noted for people with limited mobility, which means you might just drive by sights on the bus and not actually get off to look around. I feel like most ports would be a nightmare to try to do our your own with uneven terrain, plenty of stairs, and crowds of people.

By the way, this is the terrible Turkish Delight we bought in Kusadasi - compare the box picture to the actual stuff inside. Notice there is only one dark brown square and absolutely no sesame ones as pictured on the box. The yellow and pink ones tasted like bubble gum awfulness. I was so embarrassed after multiple co-workers tried a piece and then just walked away, without saying anything. It was so bad that I just threw away the rest of the box - disgusting! I would not recommend this brand to anyone.

FB67B79B-6CE7-42E9-8E55-EECE0735C5B5.JPG

I think my favorite part is the box with the really wide edges... hmmm:(

After the Hagia Sophia, we proceeded to the Underground Cistern, which a friend had told me about. The signs don’t do a great job of explaining the cistern, but basically it was a forgotten underground reservoir with beautiful columns and is surprisingly large. The entrance is not very obvious and the entrance fee was 10-20 TL, sorry can’t remember the exact amount.

Unassuming building is the entrance to the Underground Cistern

IMG_1840.JPG

Look for this sign on the building

IMG_1841.JPG

After paying, you walk down a long series of steps and into the cistern. Surprisingly, the first area you enter is filled with tourist trap stuff like a model of some Turkish amusement park and a photo opp with people dressed like “ancient” Turks. We also found there were no brochures on the cistern available in English – annoying. However, the experience after that is very cool – you just wander around and admire the columns, with a couple notable areas like the green column and the Medusa heads. Note that the floor is pretty wet and can be slippery. My sister wore flip flops that day and almost fell multiple times, so ended up walking very slowly and holding the railing the entire time. It was a very unique site and I highly recommend it to anyone.

It’s a bit hard to take good pictures with a normal camera as the lighting is very low in the Underground Cistern, but here are a few.

A view from the top of the stairs (you can see the photo op people in the lower-right corner)

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

The upside-down Medusa head

IMG_1875.JPG

We weren’t too hungry after, but I had read great things about the Sultanahmet Koftecisi meatball restaurant and it was right on the way to the Grand Bazaar, so we stopped in for a meatball snack! As soon as you’re seated, they give you gigantic bread rolls the size of softballs. We split an order of meatballs, which came with 6 patties, and a side order of rice pilaf, plus a bottle of water (guidebooks said not to drink the tap water in Turkey).

IMG_1882.JPG

The meatballs were delicious and there is a red condiment on the table that was similar to harissa – a spicy pepper paste. It was the perfect amount of food to keep us going that day and the whole thing came out to less than 20 TL! The menu is very limited, but good and cheap!

IMG_1883.JPG

We continued on our way to the Grand Bazaar and encountered this cat that looked dead, but was just sleeping.

IMG_1878.JPG

We love food and eating, so also checked out a couple cafes and other food spots on the way, just for fun.

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

The total walk from the Underground Cistern to the Grand Bazaar is less than 10 minutes – another reason Istanbul is great for exploring on your own as most of the popular sights are close to one another.

The Grand Bazaar is not my cup of tea – it’s filled with tons of stores, but most of them all sell very similar stuff – mostly knock-off designer items. My sister must have visited every one of those counterfeit stores and didn’t even end up buying anything! The prices for a decent knock-off were higher than we expected, although some were pretty convincing. I also didn’t like the haggling routine and we found that if my sister low-balled some merchants too far, they would just shut down and not even speak to you further. However, she did really want to purchase a mosaic lamp and we found a merchant with “fixed prices” who she was still able to negotiate a bit with, so don’t be fooled by such signs. We had to find an ATM to withdraw some more cash, but I feel like it’s better to go with too little cash and find an ATM, rather than be stuck with leftover Turkish Lira, which can’t be used anywhere else.

I didn’t feel like the shopkeepers harassed us, but they definitely try to strike up a conversation every time you pass, which got old quickly. I would have preferred to spend very little time here, but my sister liked looking at all the fake stuff.

This picture of a lamp store that my sister took is one of my favorites and is now my desktop picture at work

IMG_1907.JPG

One of the many entrances to the Grand Bazaar

IMG_1908.JPG

The inside is a bit of a maze and it’s hard to keep your bearings

IMG_1912.JPG

There are guards stationed at most entrances/exits, so we asked for his assistance in finding our way to the Spice Market. It was a little confusing to get there as you walk down narrow streets that are PACKED with people, but we just kept asking for directions every few blocks. This was by far the most crowded area of Istanbul though.

IMG_1917.JPG

The Spice Market was small (as anything is compared to the Grand Bazaar), but nice. We found that the merchants would not haggle and all the stores were basically priced the same. My sister found a cute spice set for a friend that likes to cook and some apple tea for her boyfriend. It’s a fun place to walk around and doesn’t take very long.

IMG_1923.JPG

Some stores also sell fragrances/perfumes

IMG_1922.JPG

After exiting the Spice Bazaar, we were very close to the water and Galata Bridge and I was determined to try a fresh fish sandwich from the boats. These are very elaborate boats with giant griddles onboard, crafted specifically for operating fish sandwich shops. You wait in line and tell the guy how many sandwiches you want and he grabs the sandwiches from the boat in between all the bobbing.

IMG_1930.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

For only 5TL, you can get a large fish filet (although with many bones in it) on fresh bread with lettuce and onions. If you’re lucky, you’ll find a space at one of the tiny tables with stools and use the lemon juice on your sandwich, while constantly being asked by young boys if you want to buy wet wipes. I found it pretty obnoxious, but I guess it’s the experience. We spent our last few lira on this snack plus 2 sodas, which was perfect.

The tables/stools are always full, so you have to hover like a vulture to find a seat

IMG_1931.JPG

Since the Galata Bridge was right there, we walked the lower level and saw many more restaurants, some which also serve fresh fish sandwiches for only 5TL.

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

Once we were back on the top level, we hopped on the tram at the Karakoy stop, which is at the end of the bridge, and rode it one stop back to Tophane and walked to the ship. I think we were back onboard by about 4pm, so we crammed in a lot into 8 hours in port! We loved Istanbul and would definitely return. It’s a great port to explore on your own – don’t bother with guided tours and enjoying discovering this wonderful city!

AttilaTheFun said "If you're looking for good, affordable gelato, we liked La Boutique del Gelato, which is a tiny store, but sells a giant scoop of gelato for about 1.5 euros. There's no semblance of a line, so once you've made up your mind on flavor, just go ahead and order it. We split a 2-scoop cone and it was gigantic - wish we had taken a picture!"

I love gelato! Do you remember where this shop was? Thank you.

From an earlier post:

It's north of St. Mark's Square and kind of near the Rialto Bridge. If you enter the address in Google Maps, it'll pop up:

Salizada San Lio, 5727, Venezia, Italia

Attilla,

Thank you so much for this wonder review of your trip-thread. I have saved all your post for future reference. I have totally enjoyed all your photos too! The DH and I will (hopefully) get to go on a Med-Greece tour next year. Many of the placed you have visited will be on the cruise itinerary we are interested in booking on the Ruby-Nov. 2013. Can't wait to read more!

Attilla,

Thank you so much for this wonder review of your trip-thread. I have saved all your post for future reference. I have totally enjoyed all your photos too! The DH and I will (hopefully) get to go on a Med-Greece tour next year. Many of the placed you have visited will be on the cruise itinerary we are interested in booking on the Ruby-Nov. 2013. Can't wait to read more!

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words! I didn't know if anyone was still reading my ramblings... ;)

Loved reading all the details of your day in Istanbul and looking at the pictures!

Do you happen to remember approximately how much your sister paid for the mosaic lamp? If they're not too expensive, I'd love to buy one too!

Thanks for sharing the dissappointing Turkish Delight picture - now we know what to avoid!

Was your ship in port at Istanbul till 6pm?

Loved reading all the details of your day in Istanbul and looking at the pictures!

Do you happen to remember approximately how much your sister paid for the mosaic lamp? If they're not too expensive, I'd love to buy one too!

Thanks for sharing the dissappointing Turkish Delight picture - now we know what to avoid!

Was your ship in port at Istanbul till 6pm?

The lamp was around 25 TL I believe and be sure to ask for a US adapter. They may charge you a couple extra lira for one, but don't be afraid to haggle.

Our ship's all-aboard time was 5 or 6pm, but we were pretty tired out after seeing so many things, so we came back early.

I've been following your review as the itinery is similar to the one I've just done and reviewed on the NCL Spirit.

please carry on and dont be discouraged by lack of comments as you go along-you can tell how many people are still reading by the number of views!

We did private tours in most ports as husband has walking difficulties and having an air conditioned van to drive around the sights made a big difference particularly in July temperatures.The able bodied tour mates we picked up from the roll call also appreciated it!

Your description of Turkey and the push for rug making demos made me smile.We avoided it on the Ephesus trip as we had a short port time and were docked in Izmir an hour away so there was no time anyway.

However we got suckered into it in Istanbul-interesting to watch but too much time spent.In the end had to be firm with our tour guide as it became obvious her agenda was to take us to her friends cafes stalls in the markets etc and expect us to spend money-window shopping is a foreign concept!

looking forward to reading and comparing Italy

Lyn

The lamp was around 25 TL I believe and be sure to ask for a US adapter. They may charge you a couple extra lira for one, but don't be afraid to haggle.

Our ship's all-aboard time was 5 or 6pm, but we were pretty tired out after seeing so many things, so we came back early.

Thanks! I really hope I can find one for around 25 TL also. Thanks for the tip about the US adapter - is that in regards to the plug/electrical supply or the light bulb fitting? I read about some people having to replace the light bulb fittings because US bulbs did not fit.

Is one of the formats nights generally more dressier/formal than the other? Trying to decide when I should wear my dressier gown that I like better.

The first formal night is probably fancier because it's when the champagne waterfall happens in the Piazza.

The adapter was for the electrical plug - I think the light is standard.

The first formal night is probably fancier because it's when the champagne waterfall happens in the Piazza.

The adapter was for the electrical plug - I think the light is standard.

Thanks!! Glad I asked and didn't end up saving the nicer dress for the 2nd night :)

Really appreciate all the information you've provided.. Very helpful - especially for a first time cruiser like myself.

I was on the Ruby 7/29, and we felt the second formal night turned out to be dressier.......

on that night there was a part in the Piazza with streamers in the late evening.

Bernadette

Hmmm... Is information regarding what events are planned for which of the formal nights (i.e. Champagne Waterfall, etc) communicated in the beginning of the cruise?

Ok, so it depends on whether you want to be dressier for the champagne waterfall (1st formal night) or Piazza party (2nd formal night). I don't have a preference either way.
No one pays attention to (or remembers) what people wear from day to day. You could wear the same outfit both days with no problem.

Archived