Moderno on the Gem

johnsak123

Any thoughts about Moderno on the Gem or any other ship

Thinking of booking for New Years Eve dinner 2012. Last year did Cagney's and want something different and hopefully better.

Yes its early but It gives me hope and joy to think about my cruise

Happy travels!!!

JS

Any thoughts about Moderno on the Gem or any other ship

Thinking of booking for New Years Eve dinner 2012. Last year did Cagney's and want something different and hopefully better.

Yes its early but It gives me hope and joy to think about my cruise

Happy travels!!!

JS

I seem to be alone with respect to my opinion of Moderno. Based upon past Moderno threads in this forum, I am sure you will receive many responses that say they love the place. I don't. I ate there once and will never frequent them again on an NCL ship. The meats are way too over seasoned for my taste and I found their salad bar disappointing.

The service was excellent.

Cagney's and Le Bistro are my two favorite restaurants. I tend to alternate my dinners between the two of them.

On the Jewel we tried Cagneys, Moderno, Le Bistro and the Italian restaurant. I enjoyed Moderno the best. It was very relaxed, no rushing and a nice variety of choices. I enjoyed the spices on the meats. Salad area was also good. I also noticed how careful the servers were to make sure there was no cross contamination of the food traveling from table to table. I will definitely be looking for Moderno on my next trip.

The meats weren't too seasoned for me. I loved them. I especially loved the bacon wrapped chicken and the Filet Mignon. Actually, the Filet Mignon was not seasoned....just pure delicious beef. Highly seasoned are the sausages and some of the meats but still delicious. You don't have to say yes to it all....be selective and request seconds or as much as you like of the food items you prefer.

As for the buffet... it was the best I have ever seen on any cruise line or on land. It is quite different than the standard buffets found on land or on a ship. I would suggest not to get too filled up on the buffet fare because the variety of meats, sausages and chicken will send you over the top.

Moderno is one of my favorite restaurants in the NCL fleet and on land too.

WE ate at Moderno on the Epic in Jan 2010 and found it fantastic therefore couldn't wait to go when on the Jade this past May, unfortunately found it to be absolutely terrible to the point I refused to pay for both of us and ended up being charged for only one.

The salad bar while only 25% the size of the Epic salad bar it was good.

I seem to be alone with respect to my opinion of Moderno. Based upon past Moderno threads in this forum, I am sure you will receive many responses that say they love the place. I don't. I ate there once and will never frequent them again on an NCL ship. The meats are way too over seasoned for my taste and I found their salad bar disappointing.

The service was excellent.

Cagney's and Le Bistro are my two favorite restaurants. I tend to alternate my dinners between the two of them.

I'm with you, the meats were ok, nothing special. What annoyed the heck out of us is people cutting thru the restaurant to get to their cabins instead of walking around. We had a table near the railing and it was a never ending flow of people by

Thanks. I was on the Gem in September and there wasn't a Moderno's. Do you recall where it was.

Marilyn

Their IS a Moderno's on the Gem, we ate there two weeks ago. It replaced the Mexican restaurant

Recently tried Moderno's on the Jewel and enjoyed it so much we ended up booking another night. That said, DH Richard 'Ramsfan' tried each and every carved offering, while I just picked the few I wanted the most...having a tummy that fills up much faster. You, of course, are the Boss and can do this to your own personal liking/ appetite.

The first time we tried the meats as they came. Lucked onto medium rare lamb chop for one of my first two. The second night, we specified exactly how we wanted the lamb chop-and some of the other-meats cooked, and were able to get them medium rare...so juicy, succulent and fine :p

DH enjoyed the lime-marinated chicken leg and bacon wrapped breast, thought the pork ribs were too greasy but loved the garlic (sirloin) steak.

I tried the filet mignon twice although it wasn't a favorite. The third type of steak, a cap steak was thinly sliced and had wonderful rich flavor, albeit a bit salty for our taste. (I confess to mainly eating lamb chops for my second go round).

The Moderno replaced the Tex Mex restaurant here on Deck 8, as with the other Jewel Class vessels, and there is a walk through area to get to the obstructed and inside cabins in back of this midships location. Of course pax could also walk on the Blue Lagoon side, where a larger aisle made it less of an issue...we were sitting on the railing both times and didn't notice that many coming through...guess they were all eating or watching various shows ;)

The salad bar was nice but not the big deal some reviewers mentioned. Now realize these were Epic pax, and that massive salad bar is one shared with Cagney's so definitely a cut above in terms of variety. Ours had 5 or 6 salads, some marinated veggies, sliced meats and a few cheeses plus 2 soups.

The Seafood Chowder and Hearts of Palm were both memorable. Unfortunately the Cheese Bread (biscuits) were not light as a feather and melt in your mouth as they traditionally should be, but almost rubbery for some odd reason.

Sides of mashed potatoes, buttery rice and beans, with my favorite 'side' being a slice of grilled pineapple: palate cleansing and amazingly good paired with the various meats. This helped prevent a buildup of salty taste in my mouth, as did a couple glasses of ice water with lemon.

Service was superb. Both passadores and table staff eager to please...I nominated Two Vacation Heroes from this eatery alone.

3 desserts available, a Flan, Payapa Cream and Mango Rice dish...but who had room? No problem...all wrapped up and trundled back to our room, little Fridge for later noshing...

WE ate at Moderno on the Epic in Jan 2010 and found it fantastic therefore couldn't wait to go when on the Jade this past May, unfortunately found it to be absolutely terrible to the point I refused to pay for both of us and ended up being charged for only one.

The salad bar while only 25% the size of the Epic salad bar it was good.

That is disappointing to hear. Will you please explain why Jade's Moderno was so terrible? Although the salad bar was only 25% the size of Epic, were the offerings the same...just not as much at one time? It's too bad NCL does not standardize this restaurant so the experience is the same no matter which ship you are on.

Archived