Noro on Sea Princess?

NickAndysMom

I just read a couple of the most recent Sea Princess Reviews. It seems that there was a Noro-virus outbreak on the ship. Has anyone heard how widespread it was? Was the departure of the next cruise delayed for heavy-duty disinfection?

I'd love to hear from the folks who get off the ship on July 12. I'm hoping for good news, as we leave on the Sea Princess on July 22.

We'll be on that cruise too. From the reviews, it sounded like it was more of an inconvenience, with the staff serving food at the buffett and salting people's food in the MDR, than anything else. Let's hope everyone's healthy on our cruise.

I sailed on the Sun Princess from June 2-12 and no sign of the virus on this trip, it must have been on a later cruise. A number of years ago I did a B2B that had a Code Red and it can affect things but if you don't actually catch the virus it wasn't enough to ruin my cruise just was an inconvinience.

My brother-in-law got off that ship on July 2 and is still sick from the virus.

Denmarks, did your BIL mention how many passengers were sick? Not sure he'd know, but I'm trying to get a sense of how widespread the issue was/is. Did anyone else traveling with him come down with symptoms? I hope he gets better quickly!

I was on the Sea June 2 - 12, and fortunately we didn't have any gastro-intestinal problems. Maybe the virus doesn't like cold weather cruises; we were in Alaska.

This is all great information. But what is the status of Sea Princess now? We are on the 21st of August cruise.

Boom Op, I'm with you. The statistics are interesting, but what I'd really love is an update as to what's going on aboard Sea Princess right now. For that information, I think we'll have to wait until the current cruise returns to San Francisco on July 12. Hopefully folks on this cruise had a great time & were not bothered by the norovirus or any other gastrointestinal issues!

There's only one more cruise between now & my family's departure on Sea Princess on July 22. Normally I'd be starting to get be very excited at this point. Unfortunately, that feeling is tempered by some trepidation over the norovirus situation. I am thankful that our family of four has booked 2 cabins (with 2 bathrooms!) for this cruise. ;-)

I was on Sea Princess June 22-Jul 2, the measures were smart and contained the virus. Basically no self-service at the buffet and many items were not on tables in the dining room. Those measures seemed to have turned the tide.

Some thoughts: even w/ people standing telling you to apply the hand sanitizers some people would REFUSE and argue w/ the employee. Really... :confused:

As to the person commenting about a gulag. What? People in a cabin w/ people with noro were out and about, it was mildly slower at buffets. Staff was working extra hard. It was fine.

Overall the measures hardly impacted the cruise and we had a great experience.

SFO2008,

Thanks for putting things in perspective. It's good to know that your overall experience with how the norovirus situation was handled was positive. Now I feel not quite so stressed-out about the whole thing.

I also appreciate your thoughts & comments. I have no problem both conscientiously washing my hands as well as using hand sanitizer whenever it is offered. I even carry my own little bottle. After handling a menu, I always use some. I know many will say that it's not so effective against norovirus, but it couldn't hurt and it might provide some protection against other illnesses.

• Administrators
I just read a couple of the most recent Sea Princess Reviews. It seems that there was a Noro-virus outbreak on the ship. Has anyone heard how widespread it was? Was the departure of the next cruise delayed for heavy-duty disinfection?

I'd love to hear from the folks who get off the ship on July 12. I'm hoping for good news, as we leave on the Sea Princess on July 22.

Hope you will receive the replies you are looking for about current conditions onboard the Sea Princess, and that you have a great trip!

We were also on the 6/22 trip, we just washed our hands ALL the time, wiped down our cabin with Lysol wipes and we were fine. It did not impact our trip, yes, it is awkward making a salad at the salad bar when you have to tell someone how many kernals of corn you want on your salad, but not a deal breaker. The key is that people that get sick, need to not spread it to others. That goes for both the crew and passengers.

Hope you will receive the replies you are looking for about current conditions onboard the Sea Princess, and that you have a great trip!

Thanks Host Michell! It seemed that the thread had veered off-track a bit from what I'd intended it to be with my original posting. Thanks for helping! :-)

I'll be sure to post an entry on July 13, after the most recent cruise has returned to port. Hopefully the folks on that cruise will have some updates for us.

To all who reported their experiences on board recent Sea Princess trips: Thank you very much for sharing! After hearing of your experiences, I feel much better about the possibility of enjoying a cruise where norovirus might be present. Sounds like it's actually manageable.

Archived