Car rental - Kusadasi, Santorini, Katakolon

Hi,

we'd appreciate hearing of experiences, good or bad, with car rental companies in these places, for one day port-of-call visits. Full day at each.

Kusadasi - we've been before (Ephesus & V/Mary's house). So we're looking to explore elsewhere - any suggestions?

Santorini we understand best to collect from agency offices in Fira, right?

Or are there better/cheaper ways to explore?

Katakolon - is car hire worthwhile?

JB :)

The only place we rented a car was Santorini. We picked it up at an office in Fira (a short walk from the cable car) and beat the crowds to Oia. Then on to a winery for lunch. In the afternoon we explored the south of the island. It was a great way to see the whole of the island and very economical as the cost was shared between two couples. The only down side was that we didn't have much time in Fira.

I had a good experience with Avis in Santorini, with a pre-reserved car. As I was making my way to Avis I was hussled by another car rental agency, but their prices were higher than my reservation and they were a local no-name. Avis gave me a good clean Smart convertible. They were closed when I returned, but I just left the car out front and they emailed me a receipt. All very easy.

Thanx, folks.

As it happens, we're gonna do the opposite :rolleyes:

Hire car Kusadasi - not returning to Ephesus, one or two other places in mind.

Hire car Katakolon - costs not a lot more than a bus tour, & flexible

Not hiring at Santorini - noticed on another thread there might be a boat from the jetty to Oia. Then bus or taxi back to Fira, & walk or cablecar (or tumble :D) back to the jetty.

Hi JB,

Since you have often helped many folks here with your expertise you are worthy of any help we have (not much). You might have spotted my recent post about renting a car in Kusadasi (this past April) which turned out to be a very good day. Most of the major rental car companies (we used Europcar) have offices right along the main street within a 10 min walk of the port. Rentals fare relatively cheap and the roads are excellent (but they do drive on the proper side). We had an absolutely fantastic day with our rental car (the best day of our 4 visits to Kusadasi and once to Izimir) and we did not even go to Ephesus (have been there 4 times). So what did we do? We had discovered that the small town of Tire had a weekly market on Tuesday and that was our port day. So we drove about an hour to see that market in a town where we were the only non-Turks and non-Muslims. It was a throw-back to olden times and totally different then the sophisticated town of Kusadasi.

We then decided to repeat a visit to sites we had seen years ago when we hired a taxi for about 5 hours. We drove a long way to get to Miletus, Priene and Didyma and it was so much fun. Somehow we also managed to get in a short visit to Sirence. This entire tour of two cities (Tire and Sirence) and 3 ruins (Miletus, Didyma and Priene) cost us less then $100 (65 pounds sterling for JB) and we loved every moment. Of course it was a lot of driving (over 100 miles) and we had the benefit of being in Kusadasi overnight (so no concern about getting back to the port on time).

As to Katakolon I guess its worthwhile if you want to do some exploring beyond the normal trip to Olympia. There is a very convenient rental car agency called Diyonsios Diplas Tourism Enterprises that operates a very convenient rental car office about a block from the pier (http://www.rentacarkatakolo.gr)

As to Santorini, when we have a long port day we sometimes enjoy having our own car. It makes it wasy to make our normal trip over to Oia and then perhaps go to a beach on the other end of the island (we love Red Beach) or a winery. Rental car prices are pretty reasonable (we book with whoever has a good deal), driving is easy, and it sure beats tour prices. Now that Akritori has reopened this is a must visit (if you like ruins) if you have a car.

Hank

thanks, Hank,

I've replied to you on my similar post on the Greece forum.

We booked a car in Katakolon with Diyonsios Diplas, as per your kind suggestion.

Kusadasi with a local operator via SixT, well-respected in the UK, because of the no-excess CDW. Sirinici is on the short-list, no more ruins though - we'll have our fill elsewhere.;)

Santorini. No car. Fira and Oia - hopefully Oia by boat, if not then by bus or taxi.

We leave tomorrow .... err, its gone midnight, make that "later today".

Guess I best go pack :D

This Southampton branch of CC is now closed for a fortnight, yippee

Well, if you are from New Jersey you might argue that they drive a lot better :) (we love to tease NJ about their driving). Not sure what you mean by "drive like in the US and England" because in England they drive on the left and you have to learn to deal with lots of traffic circles. In Greece, and everywhere else on the continent they drive on the right (like in the US (except in NY where they drive whereever they please)). Everywhere in Europe uses the normal international driving signs which are similar to what we have in the US. Perhaps the most difficult part of driving in Europe is dealing with the parking rules which really vary from place to place (we have lots of outstanding parking tickets).

We have previously run into some signage issues when we were driving near Cape Sounion where the signs were only in Greek! Around Athens and on the Pelaponese most of the signs are also lettered with the English alphabet. None of this is a big deal if you rent or own a GPS.

Hank

Archived