Alternative tours of Australia to Cruisetours

David

Thanks again for all that useful information.

I don't remember if I mentioned this at the outset of this thread, but I have already set up a group booking for a 12-night cruise on Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Auckland, departing Sydney on March 10, 2014. The ship does stop for a day in Melbourne before crossing to New Zealand, where it has two days of scenic cruising interlaced with full-day port stops at 6 locations, including the final destination. I'm thinking about remaining on in Auckland an extra day or two at the end of the cruise and would love to hear you views on that and how we might best spend our time in northern New Zealand.

I am probably the most confident driver among eveyone in our group. We are likely to require 2-3 rental vehicles and so that is why I am thinking that it would be best to find a means of group transportation that does not require our doing the driving.

With respect to a Canberra round trip from Sydney after the visit to Cairns, if the time cost is under 3 hours each way, and the prices and frequency of flights continue to be as they are now, I am thinking that it makes the most sense to go that route and either use public transportation, walk or hire a van for a day to do sightseeing outside of both Sydney and Canberra. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

David

David, if you are only spending a couple of days in Auckland, then you will not need a car. Plenty to see/do. Beautiful half day and full day trips out to the islands...check out fullers.co.nz. They are the ferry service, cheap, reliable and offer tours as well. For example, Rangitoto is a volcanic island, fab views back to the city, very different. Waiheke, my favourite, is recommended. With both of these islands you could stop off at Devonport for no extra. If you wish to see the west coast re Piha and the black sand, then a car is best. The drive through the Waitakere Ranges on the way there is beautiful.

We travel there regularly (to see son). Further north, you will need a car for this...you could spend a whole day doing the coastal route up to Goat Island, also very scenic. It is a marine reserve.

That is just a start.....so much to do, so little time for you.

Jen

Thanks again for all that useful information.

I don't remember if I mentioned this at the outset of this thread, but I have already set up a group booking for a 12-night cruise on Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Auckland, departing Sydney on March 10, 2014. The ship does stop for a day in Melbourne before crossing to New Zealand, where it has two days of scenic cruising interlaced with full-day port stops at 6 locations, including the final destination. I'm thinking about remaining on in Auckland an extra day or two at the end of the cruise and would love to hear you views on that and how we might best spend our time in northern New Zealand.

I am probably the most confident driver among eveyone in our group. We are likely to require 2-3 rental vehicles and so that is why I am thinking that it would be best to find a means of group transportation that does not require our doing the driving.

With respect to a Canberra round trip from Sydney after the visit to Cairns, if the time cost is under 3 hours each way, and the prices and frequency of flights continue to be as they are now, I am thinking that it makes the most sense to go that route and either use public transportation, walk or hire a van for a day to do sightseeing outside of both Sydney and Canberra. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

David

Sounds good to me. But i would still overnight in Canberra. Canberra airport is 5 minutes from the City. It is a regional airport so no long waiting times. Hire of a van sounds good or alternatively there are a number of local tour companies that can take you wherever.

You will love your NZ cruise, especially the passage through the various Sounds. Don't know that much about Aukland but suggest you search through this forum for an answer or post a new thread.

PS to Gradut. Spend about 20 days a year at the AWM researching. Most visitors find a full day at the AWM a bit daunting as there is so much to take in. The new Light Shows in the Anzac Hall and post 1945 exhibitions downstairs are amazing.

Cassamanda, those full day forays at the AWM were a bit daunting, but it was a real treat for my son. He would LOVE to be able to do research at the AWM! He's finishing up his history major in college this year and then will be a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army. Maybe he'll get a chance someday to combine those two interests and do something like you are doing.

Thanks again to one and all for the additional tips. A day trip via ferry out of Auckland does sound interesting, especially if there are limited attractions in the city itself that are compelling. to be honest, I haven't yet really delved fully into research on the attractions within Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, or Canberra. There is still a chunk of time to do that. Still trying to outline the framework of the land portion of our vacation. The reason we're engaged in planning so early is that the cruise booking for March 2014 became available during May, and it really makes sense to set up the group and reserve staterooms as early as possible while the prices are likely at their lowest and the very best locations for staterooms are still available. I've done this several times with summer group cruises in Europe and it has paid off each time -- plus allowed lots of time to research and set up private shore excursions and pre- or post-cruise stays in embarkation and debarkation cities. However, Australia/New Zealand is by far the most challenging to organize thus far -- so the extra planning time comes in very handy.

David

Thanks again to one and all for the additional tips. A day trip via ferry out of Auckland does sound interesting, especially if there are limited attractions in the city itself that are compelling. to be honest, I haven't yet really delved fully into research on the attractions within Sydney, Melbourne, Auckland, or Canberra. There is still a chunk of time to do that. Still trying to outline the framework of the land portion of our vacation. The reason we're engaged in planning so early is that the cruise booking for March 2014 became available during May, and it really makes sense to set up the group and reserve staterooms as early as possible while the prices are likely at their lowest and the very best locations for staterooms are still available. I've done this several times with summer group cruises in Europe and it has paid off each time -- plus allowed lots of time to research and set up private shore excursions and pre- or post-cruise stays in embarkation and debarkation cities. However, Australia/New Zealand is by far the most challenging to organize thus far -- so the extra planning time comes in very handy.

David

We wish you all the best in your planning and keep asking questions as that's what this board is for.

In fact you may be able to help me: We are planning for Alaska in late Aug/Sep 2015 and will also do some land portions at both ends, in particular rail/bus combo's. We will go southbound with Radiance of the Seas, do you know what month of the year the Alaskan summer programme for RCCL comes out?

We are going to the USA/Canada Expo in Sydney tomorrow so hopefully will get some answers there and possibly a deal or two.

Cassamanda, I don't know anything about cruises to Alaska, but we did a self-drive tour there a number of years ago with our kids. If you are planning a stay in Anchorage, I can highly recommend the Big Bear B&B for accommodations. As you'll see from the following link, the host, Carol, is a retired home economics teacher and she sure knows how to cook! The breakfasts were fabulous and we didn't eat the same thing twice for the 4 nights we were there.

http://www.alaskabigbearbb.com/

Cassamanda, I don't know anything about cruises to Alaska, but we did a self-drive tour there a number of years ago with our kids. If you are planning a stay in Anchorage, I can highly recommend the Big Bear B&B for accommodations. As you'll see from the following link, the host, Carol, is a retired home economics teacher and she sure knows how to cook! The breakfasts were fabulous and we didn't eat the same thing twice for the 4 nights we were there.

http://www.alaskabigbearbb.com/

Thanks heaps for the link, will certainly keep it in mind.

Got a great catalogue today from the Rocky Mountaineer people at the expo with detailed intineraries and prices plus $1500 early bird discount voucher. At least i can start planning that end of the trip. Wasn't anything of note on Alaska though. All in all it was a very poor quality expo and concentrated mostly on flights to the US & Canada with very little info on what to do once you got there.

Cassamanda:

The cruise lines usually introduce their new itineraries between March and May each year, and for the summer months these are introduced two years in advance. Thus, the 2015 Alaska cruise season should be available around April or May 2013. Although we love RCI and especially the Radiance class of ships, we did a Princess southbound land and cruise combination about 12 years ago. It worked very well especially because Princess has its own lodges all over the Alaska mainland. The most popular southbound itinerary is 4-7 days land tour starting in Fairbanks and including stays at least at Denali if not both Denali and Talkeetna (the latter because that is where you get the best and closest direct views of Mt. Mckinley (when it is visible. We lucked out in that rewspect because it had rained for a months prior to our arrival in Alaska and the day we arrived at Talkeetna the sun came out and everyone ran to the huge back deck of the Princess Mt. McKiney Lodge to see the sight in all it's late-day glory. One of the most awe-inspiring physical sights I've ever experienced!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Alaska land/cruise combinations. We did ours in early August, but you can do it from mid-June through September (the fringe time is less expensive but more likely to have questionable weather).

David

Thanks heaps for the link, will certainly keep it in mind.

Got a great catalogue today from the Rocky Mountaineer people at the expo with detailed intineraries and prices plus $1500 early bird discount voucher. At least i can start planning that end of the trip. Wasn't anything of note on Alaska though. All in all it was a very poor quality expo and concentrated mostly on flights to the US & Canada with very little info on what to do once you got there.

Thanks for reporting back re the Expo. Was thinking of making the trip down from Central Coast, but our TA had a sneek peek last week, hinted there was really nothing for us down there, hence we booked and paid then. We are also doing Alaska next May (and Caribbean and Calif Coastal). The cruise ones we have been to were much the same.

Jen

Cassamanda:

The cruise lines usually introduce their new itineraries between March and May each year, and for the summer months these are introduced two years in advance. Thus, the 2015 Alaska cruise season should be available around April or May 2013. Although we love RCI and especially the Radiance class of ships, we did a Princess southbound land and cruise combination about 12 years ago. It worked very well especially because Princess has its own lodges all over the Alaska mainland. The most popular southbound itinerary is 4-7 days land tour starting in Fairbanks and including stays at least at Denali if not both Denali and Talkeetna (the latter because that is where you get the best and closest direct views of Mt. Mckinley (when it is visible. We lucked out in that rewspect because it had rained for a months prior to our arrival in Alaska and the day we arrived at Talkeetna the sun came out and everyone ran to the huge back deck of the Princess Mt. McKiney Lodge to see the sight in all it's late-day glory. One of the most awe-inspiring physical sights I've ever experienced!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Alaska land/cruise combinations. We did ours in early August, but you can do it from mid-June through September (the fringe time is less expensive but more likely to have questionable weather).

David

Thanks for all the info. i quess i should ask some questions on the Alaska boards. We have decided to go in 2014 (not 2015). If you start in Fairbanks, do you fly there from Vancouver? Have to decide between RCCL cruisetours #12, 13, 15 or 1. Royal has the exclusive Wilderness Express double decker dome rail car.

As mentioned, RCI will be fine, but all the cruise lines have their own rail cars -- often on the same train. Each cruise line has a representative on their own cars and they help to coordinate each of the passengers' forward itineraries.

You can, and should, fly directly to Fairbanks on a southbound itinerary rather than go through Vancouver, unless you have to connect in Vancouver. That is where you will end up and there's not much point in going to the same place twice if you have limited vacation time. The other, less attractive option, is to fly to Anchorage and begin your Alaska land tour there, but then you probably won't get to Fairbanks and will have to backtrack to go to Denali and then south again to catch the ship. Virtually all of the land tours include a segment on the train. It's a highlight!

David

Cassamanda,

We took a Princess tour to Alaska and I can give some ideas to ponder. Our cruise tour did not go to Fairbanks as the timing was not good. If you are wanting to see wildlife, make certain that your cruise tour has two days at Denali. Many only give one day which is not enough time to see anything. Another suggestion which if you peruse the Alaska board is to see Denali on your own as the cruise tour only goes two miles into the park. Instead of taking the cruisetour's option, we went straight to the park for our 8 hour tour that took us 60 miles into the park. We saw bear, moose, all the animals except the wolves. You go on a school bus. Our guide/driver was excellent. There were people on our bus that return to Denali every year for twenty years and would only have this particular guide. It did cost us extra money--all of $35 per person. You need to sign up online with the NPS as these tours are very popular. We were able to get to the visitors' center via the shuttle buses. Some did manage to get the price of the other paid for tour refunded but it was a hassle. We just let it go. You do get excellent views of McKinley from the McKinley Lodge, talkeetna where the tv show Northern Exposure was designed after, and the NPS tour in Denali.

All the major cruise lines have the double decker trains. Each cruise line has separate cars. Our TA said if we were just doing the cruise, it didn't matter which line but if we were doing the cruisetour to use Princess as they own all the lodges. They also took care of all luggage transfers. It ran like clockwork. Some cruise lines who have been in Alaska a long time get better berthings.

We went to Alaska the end of August and the beginning of September. Fall was in full swing. It was absolutely gorgeous. The colors were outstanding and I live in western Pa which has its own beautiful fall colors and I was still wowed! If you want to see wildlife make certain that the animals are not still hibernating.

My suggestion is to read read read the Alaska board before you decide on a particular line . Also pay attention in particular to posts by Budget Queen. She knows the score.

Enjoy your trip. We are coming to Australia next year to see the beauty of your country.

Pearl

• 4 months later...
David,

I can pretty much guarantee you that there will not be direct flights from Cairns to Canberra in 2014--there just aren't enough passengers who would be flying that route to make it economically feasible.

The idea of basing yourself in Sydney and then doing a trip to Canberra could work out well for your group. Here's some ideas on transportation to help you decide what might be the best way to go:

1. Flying: When you add up the time to get to the Sydney airport from your hotel (25 minutes), wait time at the airport (1 hour), flight time (50 minutes) and time to get to a hotel in central Canberra from the airport (15 minutes), this trip will take a minimum of 2.5 hours.

2. Driving: The driving time from your hotel in Sydney (Circular Quay area, I assume) to the center of Canberra will take around 3.5 hours. (We drove it faster, but we were familiar with driving on the left and the road itself.)

3. Train: There is, indeed, a train from Sydney to Canberra. It's called CountryLink and it takes about 4.5 hours. Here's the link to their website: http://www.countrylink.info/timetables/

Be sure to check the website for delays due to trackwork. We used to take the train occasionally between Canberra and Sydney and that was a problem then and appears to still be a problem.

I can certainly appreciate your concern about driving on the left. (I was sure worried about it before we moved there!) Fortunately, the drive between Sydney and Canberra is a major highway and rather straightforward to drive. Traffic is very light in Canberra (we'd joke about the "rush minute traffic") so the only thing you need to look out for there are the traffic circles, called roundabouts. They make so much sense for keeping traffic going, but many Americans are unfamiliar with them and Canberra is full of roundabouts.

Once you are in Canberra, you can get to the major attractions and museums by public transportation, cabs or walking. However, if you want to get out to Namadgi NP or Tidbinbilla, you will need a car. (Perhaps your friends can drive you or you can rent a car for a day.)

Finally, about New Zealand. Yes, we have been there 3 times but they were all driving trips so I don't know about the cruises there. It is a gorgeous country--both along the coast and the interior (should you get a chance to go there.)

Hi - I've enjoyed reading this thread of discussion on travel outside Sydney.

I am booked on a cruise that ends in Sydney on Mar 8 2013. I will be with a friend for the cruise, who may have up to 6 days post cruise to spend in Australia. My needs are to eventually get to Brisbane to fly to Honiara, Solomon Islands, where my daughter is currently located.

I'm looking for travel suggestions, particularly if I end up being on my own.

I would like to travel up the coast from Sydney once we have spent maybe 3 days there, to visit some smaller towns along the coast. If on my own, then the duration is not important, as I could take up to two weeks to do this.

the dates to get to Honiara are limited =Virgin Australia - Brisbane to Honiara Thu 14 Mar and Tues Mar 12 from 382

Tues 19 and Thurs 21 the same

I think the 19th would be a good date for me to head over to Honiara, as I will be staying until after Easter.

My concern is travelling on my own. I have found a Greyhound bus tour thing that seems to include northbound travel and up to 10 nights stay in hostels, but I''m unclear on how this works. I would most certainly wish to upgrade from shared to single rooms. I'd rather something more tour-like, which would provide me with the opportunity to meet new people that will be on the same route for a few days, but that doesn't appear to be available.

I think that I'd like to leave the Great Barrier Reef for a followup visit to Australia, when I have someone to travel with.

I'd rather not rent a car and do this on my own, although it would most certainly provide me with a world of flexibility.

any ideas are welcome.

Archived