I HATE Buffets

Marillian

aidansaunt2004 - people do some of the same things you've described in the MDR ... even on 'elegant' night. Others on this board have talked of adults handling all the rolls from the basket before deciding which one they want.

I know you know everyone does not wash their hands, even in the MDR. Nor are the nose blowers only at the buffet.

Disgusting things happen everywhere.

Yes but the food is covered as it comes out, the table is neat and covered by a hopefully washed table cloth and I can control my zone better around my plate. Frankly a comparison of the mdr and the buffet is not an exact apples to apples analogy.

Marillian - Do you know what's happening to/around your uncovered plate while you're off washing your hands?

Just sayin'.

Couldn't these people like this bring some wipes? I honestly don't see a whole lot of cross contamination unless you eat finger foods. I use a forkto put food in my mouth, I thought most people do:rolleyes:

Yes but the food is covered as it comes out, the table is neat and covered by a hopefully washed table cloth and I can control my zone better around my plate. Frankly a comparison of the mdr and the buffet is not an exact apples to apples analogy.

1 more post and you'll get to a landmark...200 posts:)

Thanks for the suggestion on the Eggs Benedict, Carole.

I usually order it once but am disappointed each time. Just made myself a note to order separate sauce. It's now in my cruise folder.

You're most welcome Mary, it's much better on the side. You get it fresh!!!

Enjoy!! Carole

You do like to bicker don't you?

MDR or dining room, the person across from you could still blow their nose into the napkin. Cough without covering their mouth, etc. Same disgusting behavior. Yes one may have a nice tablecloth but in the end, does it matter?

And Carole doesn't like the buffet simply because she doesn't like the food. If we eat there it's a made to order omelet or the Asian counter. It has nothing to do with germs.

I'm a nurse, in fact have worked infectious disease before. We also took the immunocompromised cancer patients when their area was under construction.

Having taken microbiology courses for my nursing degree as well as working on ID floor I do know there are germs everywhere, covering every inch of your skin and GI tract. Some are protective germs and some are not. We do get stronger immune systems as we are exposed to many germs.

They have done studies of MRSA and you would be amazed at where it lurks. They say the telephones and cell phone are full of harmful germs. Public restrooms have so many germs on the door handle LEAVING the rest room. And just out of curiosity I tend to watch people and am amazed at the amount of people who will use a toilet and then come out and either ignore the sink all together or just wave their hands under the water with no soap. Many of these culprits are older women (sorry)

Just keep washing your own hands before meals, after meals, after toileting and after being out in public places. Avoid holding hand railings, and touching your mouth and nose when you are in public and you can avoid most of the infections aquired by the mouth /fecal route. However airborn is a crapshoot.

We can live our lives to the fullest or live in fear. I choose to enjoy!!! (gasps I even eat my hamburgers rare)

Happy Cruising!!! Carole

Looking forward to out 1st cruise later this month on the Breeze, and especially waiter served dinners! My kids are now teens, but I well remember the joys of all inclusive European hotel buffets with 2 young kids:eek:

DH finds a table and stays their with one of the kids. I queue at the buffet and help the other kid get their food. Return to table. Collect other kid and repeat. Return to table. Queue to get my food. Return to table. DH queues and gets his food. Returns to table. Kids finished and now want desert. Repeat, repeat repeat..... you get the idea! Thats without tripping over other peoples toddlers who are allowed to run around the hot food area, and who are invisible whilst carrying a tray:eek: Much as I looked forward to and enjoyed my holidays, it was always a bit of a releif to go home and just cook, serve and clean up after meals in my own kitchen!

And that is without seeing kids just the right height to cough and sneeze over the food:eek:

Yes, I am sooooo looking forward to being served in the MDR and everyone being able to all eat the meal together in comfort!

MDR or dining room, the person across from you could still blow their nose into the napkin. Cough without covering their mouth, etc. Same disgusting behavior. Yes one may have a nice tablecloth but in the end, does it matter?

Ya think???? LOL

Do you use the yellow police tape to mark off your territory?

What you call bickering I call light banter.

My main dislike of the buffet is not germ related but more that I don't like watching people just hog troughing food down. No decorum, no sense of mealtime being special, just rush rush rush and eat eat eat! And watching some people who need to stop eating at such establishments is truly mindboggling.

And the food is not really that great.

Germs however seem to be most peoples biggest concern though. So germs it is. ;)

My main dislike of the buffet is not germ related but more that I don't like watching people just hog troughing food down. No decorum, no sense of mealtime being special, just rush rush rush and eat eat eat! And watching some people who need to stop eating at such establishments is truly mindboggling.

And the food is not really that great.

Germs however seem to be most peoples biggest concern though. So germs it is. ;)

So you don't like being around people, don't won't to watch them eat, don't care for those that are a little overweight, you are scared of germs; maybe a cabin in the Smokey Mountains would be better than a ship with 3000 people. :D

So you don't like being around people, don't won't to watch them eat, don't care for those that are a little overweight, you are scared of germs; maybe a cabin in the Smokey Mountains would be better than a ship with 3000 people. :D

He has his own retreat. He's from Lakeland:D

Who knows what goes on with your food before it's set in front of you in the MDR? I'm just saying.....

I only have one cruise under my belt, and tried breakfast in the MDR one morning. It just seemed to take forever. Just seemed too stuffy to me, when I could go thru the buffet and grab some fruit and protein.

:eek: do you realize how many germs and the like are on canoes and picnic baskets! Would be better off with bubonic plague. Or whats that disease you get from buffets?

You guys just keep on eating your influenza infused hog trough piled high plates. The rest of us will get influenza in the mdr served with uniformed waiters and much smaller portions.

Who knows what goes on with your food before it's set in front of you in the MDR? I'm just saying.....

I only have one cruise under my belt, and tried breakfast in the MDR one morning. It just seemed to take forever. Just seemed too stuffy to me, when I could go thru the buffet and grab some fruit and protein.

Well at least that is a mystery shrouded behind closed doors. Far to many out in the open horror stories posted here by members. Perhaps Not knowing is better as far as eating goes. Bon appetite

:eek: do you realize how many germs and the like are on canoes and picnic baskets! Would be better off with bubonic plague. Or whats that disease you get from buffets?

You guys just keep on eating your influenza infused hog trough piled high plates. The rest of us will get influenza in the mdr served with uniformed waiters and much smaller portions.

Well do! See you at "sick bay". :eek:

Archived