I HATE Buffets

Marillian

Cruising on the Spirit to Alaska in August. First time cruiser. Can you get breakast and lunch in the main dining room as opposed to buffets? Do they have servers at the buffets or are they self serve?

I am on the same cruise :-) I am not a big fan of buffets but I will be getting breakfast at the omelet station. I did that on my prior cruise. We had lunch in the MDR. Only ate fro. The buffet if we wanted to grab a snack.

I LOVE a good buffet. :) And if you're mindful of the fact that you can over eat at one, just fill your first plate with green salad and eat it slowly. Wait a couple of minutes and then go back at it. I find that if I do that, I won't over eat then.

If you're not a huge fan of salad, then make sure half of your first plate is salad and you'll still be reasonable in what you eat.

It's all about choices. ;)

who wants to hit those lines twice?

and why fill up on salad when there's all that good food?

pile it high, and enjoy. still no rulebooks at the buffet!

the right choice!

I LOVE a good buffet. :) And if you're mindful of the fact that you can over eat at one, just fill your first plate with green salad and eat it slowly. Wait a couple of minutes and then go back at it. I find that if I do that, I won't over eat then.

If you're not a huge fan of salad, then make sure half of your first plate is salad and you'll still be reasonable in what you eat.

It's all about choices. ;)

Ha! I do the opposite! I get the salad last, in case I run out of room. It's more of a value thing on land. If I paid for it, I have to go for meat first to make sure I at least halfway get my money's worth. I'm not THAT big an eater, usually. I'm also one of those genetically lucky people that couldn't get really fat if I tried. I can put on a few pounds and still be smaller than the average American by a few sizes. And that is as far as it seems to go. I know, don't hate me. It's just luck of the gene pool.

Way to much wasted food at a buffet (hog trough's really)!

They allow for to much overeating, add a thousand extra layers of germs and health and sanitary issues over any kitchen issues and contributes to the decline of western civilization. :)

Those that like to try a little of everything, do you eat everything you take? Do you end up eating more than a" try " of a little of everything? If so then you might be eating more than just a little.

But to each their own its your right to eat how you wish but like smoking, gambling and other personal habits:eek: its others right to hate those behaviors. Isn't it :cool:

1. You're funny!

2. Yes, I eat most of what is on my plate, unless I don't like it. And yes, sometimes I go back and get more of something if I really like it...but not to the point of total gluttony. I don't like to be more than pleasantly full. I've learned my lesson on that one. It is NO FUN to have a belly ache.

3. Absolutely agree with you on "to each their own". I was just wondering what other people hated about it. Just curious really, not judging at all.

Buffets rock. I can try a little of things I may not like, or a lot of the things I love. For salads, I dont like a lot of lettuce, prefer tomato, cucumber, onion, chick peas, picked beet, cheese bacon and French dressing . Just TRY to order that in a restaurant!

I like a lot of sauce but DW hates sauce, but we can both get how much we like at a buffet.

The "germ" argument kills me. Seriously? It's not like people are eating on top of the buffet.

"Getting your money's worth" is one reason why America is overweight. ;) I'm not skinny in the least, but I always try to not stuff myself to the gills at a buffet.

I like to walk out, not roll out. :p

The salad suggestion is an old Weight Watcher's trick and I was letting those who wanted to ease up know it about it. :)

"Getting your money's worth" is one reason why America is overweight. ;) I'm not skinny in the least, but I always try to not stuff myself to the gills at a buffet.

I like to walk out, not roll out. :p

The salad suggestion is an old Weight Watcher's trick and I was letting those who wanted to ease up know it about it. :)

except the unsuspecting sometimes think just because it's called salad, it's less calories that something fatty.

they could also do the "drink a lot of water 20 minutes before you eat". not on a cruise, nor not on these boards, as it wil only shift into whether or not the water on the ship is good to drink, causes swelling, or is clear, brown or yellow this week.

Being a Physical Education teacher for more than 30 years, I have seen the obesity crisis in full mode - especially in the age group I teach. (5-12 year olds) I try to educate them about moderation, healthy choices, exercise, etc. Unfortunately, we can't too easily change their cultural upbringing and family lifestyle. (though I send home fitness challenges to get the whole family up and moving) On a cruise, I love seeing the gym with all the machines in use! As far as buffets go, moderation, using the stairs instead of the elevators, walking around the deck a few times may help offset some of the buffet bloat and gluttonly that sometimes goes on. Live a little and enjoy yourself while on vacation - you can watch yourself again when you get home! And some of the weight you put on may also be due to an increased salt intake on the ship. (the food is loaded with sodium)

I was wondering that too, people won't eat from a buffet, but will climb into what is basically a bathtub full of strangers, my buddy is a dr and gave me a list of diseases you can get from a hot tub, lets just say never again LOL:eek:

Too funny!!!! We don't do the buffets. First I am a germaphobe. Second the lunch in the MDR is a much better experience IMO. Also we don't do the pools on cruises and we never ever do public hot tubs. A thousand years ago when I was young and crazy I had my tongue pierced. They gave me a huge list of reasons to avoid public pools and hot tubs in order to avoid infection. I had no idea. I'm not judging anyone who uses them or eats off the buffet- they are braver than I!

Being a Physical Education teacher for more than 30 years, I have seen the obesity crisis in full mode - especially in the age group I teach. (5-12 year olds) I try to educate them about moderation, healthy choices, exercise, etc. Unfortunately, we can't too easily change their cultural upbringing and family lifestyle. (though I send home fitness challenges to get the whole family up and moving) On a cruise, I love seeing the gym with all the machines in use! As far as buffets go, moderation, using the stairs instead of the elevators, walking around the deck a few times may help offset some of the buffet bloat and gluttonly that sometimes goes on. Live a little and enjoy yourself while on vacation - you can watch yourself again when you get home! And some of the weight you put on may also be due to an increased salt intake on the ship. (the food is loaded with sodium)

You will be happy to know that the efforts of you and PE teachers everywhere seems to be working...at least on my kids. At 12, 14, and 16, they are all athletic, recently asked me for and recieved gym memberships, and eat decently, but not "great". They like their teenager food...pizza, chicken strips, that sorta thing...but they also like salad and such too.

Most of their friends are the same way.

Too funny!!!! We don't do the buffets. First I am a germaphobe. Second the lunch in the MDR is a much better experience IMO. Also we don't do the pools on cruises and we never ever do public hot tubs. A thousand years ago when I was young and crazy I had my tongue pierced. They gave me a huge list of reasons to avoid public pools and hot tubs in order to avoid infection. I had no idea. I'm not judging anyone who uses them or eats off the buffet- they are braver than I!

I used to enjoy the MDR, not so much now.Not crazy about the wait to be served.

Those germ phobic people kill me, think gel is the answer. What do they do in real life? Do they not touch anything without gelling? Do they go in stores and not touch a shopping basket, look at a label, not touch money nor the credit card scanner and the list goes on.

How do you people survive in public, at work, on vacation worrying about germs? Each individual is a walking germ filled entity. Just use your common sense on cleanliness.

How do you people survive in public, at work, on vacation worrying about germs? Each individual is a walking germ filled entity. Just use your common sense on cleanliness.

makes you wonder how we ever made it out of the caves. good thing white blood cells are free.

We don't eat at the buffet either - but not because of germs!

We just prefer to sit down and be waited on and have our food come to us! We're on vacation and not generally in a rush, so it doesn't matter if the service is fast/slow at any given time.

J

I read this thread and just kept smiling; all of those who say they hate buffets because of the potential for "germs" are the same people who will sit in the hot tub with 10 strangers, swim in the pool with numerous passengers (adults and kids spitting water), sit in a lounge chair moments earlier occupied by someone who for several hours deposited their sweat, take a table in the MDR that moments earlier was occupied by others who deposited their saliva etc and lastly go to the gym and use the same equipment that was used by the same people who are standing in line in the buffet. Ummm, maybe we should all just wear hazmat suits.

Relax everyone, use common sense health practices and you will be fine. :D

Its not a matter of surviving. Germs in daily life is one set of issues to deal with. A buffet on an enclosed ship, used by thousands of people, with kids running about, in bathing suits and flipflops and even bare feet sometimes, with food sitting out under heat lamps where these thousands of hands and coughs and sneezes and touchy kids fingers is an entirely different set of issues.

Some people have no manners, they pick up food with their hands and put it back. Utensils are handled then dropped into the food handle first. Plates are picked up by people then put back. And we know people (Some) don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.:eek: That's how norovirus starts.

I was on a Princess cruise once where a person wearing gloves handed you plate and silverware, servers served all the buffet food. It took a bit longer, but I liked it.

You will be happy to know that the efforts of you and PE teachers everywhere seems to be working...at least on my kids. At 12, 14, and 16, they are all athletic, recently asked me for and recieved gym memberships, and eat decently, but not "great". They like their teenager food...pizza, chicken strips, that sorta thing...but they also like salad and such too.

Most of their friends are the same way.

Yeah! One for the good guys! (or girls, in my case!):D

Its not a matter of surviving. Germs in daily life is one set of issues to deal with. A buffet on an enclosed ship, used by thousands of people, with kids running about, in bathing suits and flipflops and even bare feet sometimes, with food sitting out under heat lamps where these thousands of hands and coughs and sneezes and touchy kids fingers is an entirely different set of issues.

I understand your explanation regarding the buffet but what do you do about the swimming pools, hot tubs, gym, putt putt equipment, lounge chairs and all the other things that those thousands of people/kids use or touch? Where does it end.

People, waiters/servers, included never sneeze, cough, scratch, etc.,? Right! The MDR is on this 'enclosed' ship, isn't it?

People also never wear open toed shoes in the MDR?

Do we really want to know what goes on in the kitchen at the MDR?

They don't use heat lamps in the MDR? I'm thinking they do. ;)

People walk by the tables leaving little bits and pieces of themselves on the table tops.

Do you use your hands to pull your chair up to the table? Do you think the chairs are wiped down after each meal? How clean are the s & p containers?

Could go on and on. Relax.

I am not much on eating anyway....but my husband prefers the buffet to the dining room anytime...on our Dream cruise we went to the MDR one time ...and he said then that there was no way we were going to get dressed to go sit forever to get a meal that was was so little that he left hungry (and yes he knows he could have ordered more...but the first took FOREVER) we did eat in the Steakhouse and loved it. On the two previous cruises we ate in the MDR 2 times at the most. We aren't even planning on taking dress clothes when we cruise this December....there is no need to pack all that stuff like we have been doing and been doing and never put any of it on. I guess it is good we all don't like the same things.

I read this thread and just kept smiling; all of those who say they hate buffets because of the potential for "germs" are the same people who will sit in the hot tub with 10 strangers, swim in the pool with numerous passengers (adults and kids spitting water), sit in a lounge chair moments earlier occupied by someone who for several hours deposited their sweat, take a table in the MDR that moments earlier was occupied by others who deposited their saliva etc and lastly go to the gym and use the same equipment that was used by the same people who are standing in line in the buffet. Ummm, maybe we should all just wear hazmat suits.

Relax everyone, use common sense health practices and you will be fine. :D

Yes but most of the examples you cite are not behaviors where I am ingesting items. Germs and bacteria have to deal with chemicals or materials not designed to allow them to live and multiply and flourish. The germs have to run through more hurdles to get in my stomach or my blood stream.

I am not licking the treadmill or deckchair or making cocktails from the salt water pools or hot water hot tubs.

Sure illness could come from those things but is more likely to come from foodborne illnesses and the mass of unwashed humanity in or near the food you eat.

Thank You, people can laugh all they want to, but my daughter got a stomach virus in Sept of 09 (she was 15 at the time) and it attacked her digestive system and basically paralyzed it (gastroperesis). She has since had her large intestine removed (total colectomy) and is TPN dependent (IV nutrition). She has not been able to eat in 3 years, she has a port in her chest, she nearly died from malnutrition (true starvation is a long and painful process, her hair was falling out by the handful and she weighed 63lbs). Dr's could not figure out what was going on (my child was dying in front of me and the medical community didn't know what to do) I am not trying to scare you, but you never know what your being exposed to. You can't live in a bubble, but you can take some common sense approaches to protecting yourself. Before this happened, she was the picture of health, never even got a cold, so don't pooh pooh everything people say as being overly dramatic.

People, waiters/servers, included never sneeze, cough, scratch, etc.,? Right! The MDR is on this 'enclosed' ship, isn't it?

People walk by the tables leaving little bits and pieces of themselves on the table tops.

Do you use your hands to pull your chair up to the table? Do you think the chairs are wiped down after each meal? How clean are the s & p containers?

The MDR is far more enclosed than a buffet. The doors are always opening and closing in the buffet area.

The remarks by a certain few on here are sooo far fetched in their reasoning for no buffet.

I guess we'd better not speak to each other except from a distance, don't shake any hands, don't hold a door, not sit down, no hugs, and NO kissing, just look at jewelry and buy it size unknown, no watching stage shows in those non disinfected seats, no touching customer service desk making any transactions,

Come on people, get a grip:o

I've never been a big fan of buffets either. Nothing really tastes fresh to me. It all tastes like the leftovers I grab from our own refrigerator. (With the possible exception of the fruit/salad section or a guy cutting off slabs of meat from the hip of beef/turkey/pig/whatever.)

Also, honestly, I'm not normally the germophobe type, but it disgusts me to see people with greasy sausage fingers rooting thru the cutlery bins. Just grab one and go buddy!

That's why I've always been a fan of the pre-wrapped cutlery. You know, the knife/fork/spoon are already wrapped in the napkin. Quicker. Easier. And cleaner, if you ask me.

On my Princess cruise I was in line behind some guy who sneezed into his hand, then proceeded to grab serving spoons and load up his plate with various items. Ugh. Normally I`m not this fussy, but 1) it just happened, and 2) his sneeze was like a mushroom cloud. I walked over to the other side of the buffet and continued where I left off. Pro tip; if you have no alternative, sneeze into your elbow joint! It not only does a better job of restricting the blast area, it also leaves your hands clean(er).

Yes but most of the examples you cite are not behaviors where I am ingesting items. Germs and bacteria have to deal with chemicals or materials not designed to allow them to live and multiply and flourish. The germs have to run through more hurdles to get in my stomach or my blood stream.

I am not licking the treadmill or deckchair or making cocktails from the salt water pools or hot water hot tubs.

Sure illness could come from those things but is more likely to come from foodborne illnesses and the mass of unwashed humanity in or near the food you eat.

My point was simple: those same germ carrying unhealthy people standing in line in the buffet are the same germ carrying unhealthy people that go to the MDR (ever seen the staff wipe off the menu you touch before you touch it?) and all the other areas of the ship. They sneeze in the gift shop just like in the buffet line; they cough in the MDR just like they do in the theater. You can't condemn the buffet without condemning ALL areas of the ship.

Practice good hygiene, was your hands, use hand cleanser etc.

No there are always risks just they are increased in a buffet style setting particually on a ship. Buffets on land don't even have some of the issues a ship has. That said I do cruise and do on occasion eat in the buffet but don't do it unless no other viable option is readily available. Hey leaves more for others to pile on their plates and stuff down or throw away.

Bon appetite!

Archived