SW ticket advice requested

Algebralovr

Airfare on SW in early February has opened, and the price is consistent with what I've seen as I looked the last couple of months. Now, I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and book our outbound flights, knowing that I won't be able to book our return flights for another month.

I've been checking, and once you include bags and other hassles, SW and the others are basically the same price for a direct flight where I need them.

Suggestions?

If they're the same price, and you prefer them, what's holding you back? You don't necessarily have to have a roundtrip, so if you feel comfortable have two separate tickets (outbound and return), go for it.

We have done this more than once with both Southwest and Jet Blue. It always feels funny to buy just the one way and I monitor the dates and times closely to make sure we get home.

Go for it and just make sure you know exactly when the next bunch of flights will be released. It is easier with Southwest because they show it on their website. Jet Blue you need to wait for the e-mail.

The best thing about SW is that there is no change fee, and if the price drops, you will get a credit for future travel.

So true (there are expiration dates on the voucher that might be an issue for OP if they don't fly WN frequently). And equally true, if the return flight on WN is significantly more expensive when those fares open on a TBD day in the future, OP will have wished they booked the roundtrip now.

Also, since the city pair and date of travel was not stated it's not a safe assumption that the fare in one direction mirrors the other direction.

I would jump on it while you still can get a decent price. I am waiting for April 2013 but played around with some Feb dates just for the fun of it and found a ton flights from Indy to FLL for $175 each way.

Also, AirTran puts their dates out on the same day and even though they charge $20 for a checked bag and $6 if you want to get an assigned seat, I still found a direct flight from Indy to FLL yesterday for a mer $145 each way, so it all evened out to about the same price as SW anyways.

Also, I have booked a one way ticket when I have found a super good deal. SW just had a $99 special from Indy to Tampa direct. I will sometimes then book my return trip back on AirTran or wait for SW to open their dates for my return flights. Check SW Low Fare Calandar on their web page.

http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/lowFareFinderEntry?int=GSUBNAV-AIR-SHORTCUT&disc=&ss=0&cid=&companyName=&memberName=

Do what will save you the most money.

:):)

Remember that the airlines are selling a product and you can or should purchase when you are comfortable with the price. Just because the airline has not yet begun to sell seats for your return flight does not mean you cannot purchase seats for your flight to FLL. We have done just that the last two years, BUF-FLL on JetBlue, FLL-BUF on Southwest. No mess, no fuss and everybody is happy.:D

I just want to add that in my experience (and I know there are always exceptions) that the Southwest Prices usually go up and not down so if you can grab their lower tier fares which are capacity controlled all the more reason to book now and not later.

Keith

I've been checking, and once you include bags and other hassles, SW and the others are basically the same price for a direct flight where I need them.

Don't know if you factored this into the price, but just a reminder Southwest doesn't charge for the first two bags.

Don't know if you factored this into the price, but just a reminder Southwest doesn't charge for the first two bags.

" . . .once you include bags and other hassles, SW and the others are basically the same price for a direct flight where I need them."

Seems pretty clear that they did factor in the cost for bags (free for Southwest up to 2 bags as long as the bags aren't over 50 lbs.). Not sure what they mean by "other hassles" (the boarding system, perhaps?). They're just wondering what airline to take, which seems hard to others to opine about, except regarding change fees, without knowing any ff programs OP is in, times involved, types of aircraft (on the non-Southwest carrier), etc.

Thanks, All.

I went ahead and booked the outbound flights. They are supposed to release the return schedule tomorrow, so I'll check and see what it looks like then.

I keep checking the other carriers and once you factor in the cost of checking a bag, Southwest always seems to come up very competitive for me. Plus, they have a direct flight with a convenient time for me, as opposed to the 5am direct flight on AA. Sorry, I just can't do a 5am flight.

Back on Southwest we go!

Archived