How American is the food on NCL Epic?

Cloudyrain

OK, no comments at all about the subject .... but Cassie, your dog is the cutest thing ever:D:D

Thanks - although after he rolled in fox poo in the park this morning, cute was not the word I used for him. :D

We'll be away nearly 3 weeks for our cruise next week. I'm going to miss him :(

I must have OCD. I feel I have to correct this because it's been mentioned a number of times and it's driving me nuts! ;) :

It is not Pea Meal Bacon. It is PEAMEAL Bacon. There is NO SPACE. Peameal is one word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peameal_bacon

And whoever said earlier they don't know why it's called Canadian bacon and they only seen it once (they were from Ottawa), they need to get out of the city a little bit more. I grew up in rural south-eastern Ontario and peameal bacon was a staple in our diets. And not just my family, every family and friend I ever knew.

We rarely had American-style bacon. It was available, but no self-respecting Canadian would admit they ever ate it in front of any other Canadian.

Just like maple syrup. You used genuine bona-fide maple syrup. Not that Aunt Jemima crap. If you were ever caught serving American bacon and Aunt Jemima syrup they'd take you behind the arena and shoot ya. (Between periods, of course.)

EDIT. In all seriousness, I do love American bacon. Nowadays we eat it more than peameal bacon because peameal bacon is absurdly expensive. It's made from the loin and very lean, hence the high price. American bacon is made from the belly. Very fatty. And (relatively speaking) very inexpensive.

who would have thought such a simple thing could expand this much.

i am canadian, i have lived with brits/scots all my life (and married one) so i understand most of this. we usually call it strip bacon (made from pork belly),or just plain bacon. Back bacon (made from the loin, near the back, hence the name) and then there is peameal bacon that was first created in canada, made from the loin and rolled in peameal. if you ordered a bacon butty here/US most would give you a strange look, unless they are a corrie fan. :)

american cheese?. processed cheese slices.

baked potatoes - jacket potatoes

we also spell some things different in canada/uk than the US.

then again if you travel food can be different wherever you go. ex - chow mein. totally different from one side to the other. we have had it in hong kong, LA, boston, vancouver, nova scotia, LV. some are made with steamed noodles, some with spaghetti noodles, some with only 6 crunchy noodles on top. egg rolls, in scotland is a bun with a cooked egg in side. they call what we consider "egg rolls" as crispy pancake rolls and are the size of a sponge. in ireland they were about the size of a little finger...so it really matters where you are, what you get. i went into a local chinese restaurant and asked for a certain thing, the cook came out, asked where i was from (west coast, now on east) he said that they don't know how to cook past toronto... at least this is what we have found. the bottom line is to suck it up, enjoy your holiday.....if we were all the same, life would be boring

• 2 weeks later...

Archived