How American is the food on NCL Epic?

Cloudyrain

Last week on the Jade, we had "English Middle Bacon" in the Buffet. We have seen it previously on the Dawn and the Jewel. You just had to look out for it in the right places. Last week we even had black pudding and I have always been able to get "Canadian Ham" on the ships we have sailed on.

I don't know if this was because there were 800 Brits were onboard last week but there is a definite British target market nowadays. On our first NCL cruise, there were only seven of us booked through NCL!

The breads baked onboard are fantastic. Just don't expect Warbies sliced bread for your toast. :)

Much as we all like to make comments regarding the food and menus, comparing them from ship to ship, line to line, but if you look around you will always find something to eat. Nobody loses weight on a cruise, do they?

Last week on the Jade, we had "English Middle Bacon" in the Buffet. We have seen it previously on the Dawn and the Jewel. You just had to look out for it in the right places. Last week we even had black pudding and I have always been able to get "Canadian Ham" on the ships we have sailed on.

I don't know if this was because there were 800 Brits were onboard last week but there is a definite British target market nowadays. On our first NCL cruise, there were only seven of us booked through NCL!

The breads baked onboard are fantastic. Just don't expect Warbies sliced bread for your toast. :)

Much as we all like to make comments regarding the food and menus, comparing them from ship to ship, line to line, but if you look around you will always find something to eat. Nobody loses weight on a cruise, do they?

Few ;).

Norwegian has spent a lot of time and effort to have all menus consistent (i.e. the same) fleetwide. :)

My wife waits each afternoon for the scones, preserves, and clotted cream to be put out. Don't know how traditional British they actually are, but she sure likes them and discovered scones while visiting England some time back. Haven't been on the Epic, but the other NCL ships we've been on has offered this. A few weeks ago on the Jewel, I thought their Indian food was really good. A new experience for me. I'm generally not a spicy food guy either. Lots of good food to be had.

I love the scones and clotted cream too. One of most special memories is having an (I hope) authentic cream tea while in the Cotswolds a couple of years ago. I felt like I was in the middle of an English novel, and so good.

Haven't gotten used to English 'bacon' yet though, or mushy peas!

Most ships I have been on seem to have some 'English' items out, especially at breakfast, such as grilled tomatoes and baked beans and mushrooms. I don't know how authentic they are. I've also seen what I thought was English-style bacon--not crispy--but am not sure. Curries are usually present at other meals as well. Love it when ships have afternoon tea!

Getting proper CHIPS(UK) on any ships is tough they sometmes have them as part of meal as the potato option.

Frozen french fries no problem they are everywhere(these are not chips).

They stock potatoes so proper chips should be available to order.

English back(and it seems middle sometime) has been on most ships sailing in europe but often just on one station in the buffet

sausage/bangers very variable.

One thing NCL does good are the curies at the buffet

Getting proper CHIPS(UK) on any ships is tough they sometmes have them as part of meal as the potato option.

Frozen french fries no problem they are everywhere(these are not chips).

They stock potatoes so proper chips should be available to order.

English back(and it seems middle sometime) has been on most ships sailing in europe but often just on one station in the buffet

sausage/bangers very variable.

One thing NCL does good are the curies at the buffet

Sorry Phil you are are correct, I should have said back bacon, but it was actually surprisingly good quality depending on how it had been cooked, some days better than others.

I also meant to mention the sausages. Apart from the American sausages and the hot dogs and German sausages they also had "bangers" which I only tried once as I have to be a little more health concious nowadays but they had really nice turkey sausages too.

Never tried the curries as there was so much choice on the few days that we got lunch on board due to itinerary. On the day we arrived in Dubrovnik we had lunch in Blue Lagoon and it was awful and we never really got the opportunity to give it another chance. Not like a TA when you get lots of sea days

Wow! I'm so confused now I'm not sure what I've been eating. teeheehee

Fries are chips, chips are fries, crisps are chips, chips are crisps. Canadian bacon is pea meal bacon, is back bacon. Bangers are sausages, but sausage are something else.

Now what to heck was the question? :confused: :D

Fries are chips, chips are fries, crisps are chips, chips are crisps. Canadian bacon is pea meal bacon, is back bacon. Bangers are sausages, but sausage are something else.

This made my head swirl to the point I was looking for the dormouse and Mad Hatter...

*off to wikipedia to look up all of those terms*

Be thankful that no-one has introduced game chips into the mix (not that NCL serves pheasant/grouse etc..) :D

Sorry Phil you are are correct, I should have said back bacon, but it was actually surprisingly good quality depending on how it had been cooked, some days better than others.

I was suprised you said middle but you never know what supplies they get, some bits I have seen don't look like back more like offcuts.

It seems that on most ships they lob the bacon into a pan and oven cook which steams it in the water content. This results in a soggy pieces that then dry out on the station.

They can make crispy streaky, why not grilled/fried/crispy back?

We never got on the Epic this year maybe next.

No , your wrong.

Rashers are the correct name for bacon.

my suggestion as a tea drinker is to bring your own. they serve do serve twinnings packages or lipton t bags. personally i am a tetley drinker....so i bring my own and i am happy!

Absolutely this! I like a very stong cup of tea and the American tea onboard (and even the Twinning is a US product) won't do so I travel with my own Yorkshire tea bags :D

Absolutely this! I like a very stong cup of tea and the American tea onboard (and even the Twinning is a US product) won't do so I travel with my own Yorkshire tea bags :D

Thank you for the tip on the milk and the tea bags - I will definately be taking my own tea bags and pressing the 'cold' when I ask for milk :)

Thank you for the tip on the milk and the tea bags - I will definately be taking my own tea bags and pressing the 'cold' when I ask for milk :)

Take extra brit on board will thank you and you can leave them for any british staff/crew

be carefulll of the smuggling police

OK, no comments at all about the subject .... but Cassie, your dog is the cutest thing ever:D:D

I call it "ham" :)

Canadian bacon = ham

American bacon is referred to by Brits as streaky bacon (or so my Scottish friend says)

Tea has too many variations to count, but a standard hot tea is available.

If you want fries, ask for fries. If you want crisps, ask for potato chips.

I have only seen omelets or scrambled eggs on the ships. I have never been one to enjoy a runny egg as the idea of an undercooked yolk makes me gag at the simple idea of the texture. (and the thought of salmonella)

There is plenty of food on NCL. The dining rooms have smaller menus whereas the buffets have a wide variety of food. O'Sheehans on Epic has pub fare- fries, burgers, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, etc.

And what the heck is clotted cream? Clotted is a medical term in my head so all I am picturing is something bloody and lumpy...or cottage cheese.

Since when?????

A rasher is a slice OF bacon, not a name for it!

Back Bacon is the correct name. Not Canadian or anything else, but British Back Bacon.

Nope, I'm with JohnIreland; over here you'll definitely get more sense asking for a rasher sandwich (or sambo) rather than a bacon butty!!

And if you want your rashers unsmoked, they're green rashers. :D

Archived