Viewfinder Camera to use for Alaska

I am looking for a camera with a decent zoom. A viewfinder is necessary. I am very near sighted and wear contacts to see distance and bifocals to read.

I am looking at Fujifilm FinePix SL300, Nikon COOLPIX P510, Canon SX 40, and the Nikon COOLPIX P7100. I checked local stores and could only see the middle two in person.

I know none of them are ideal for travel, but all I have right now is a Canon SD1000 P & S and takes lousy distance shots. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Barb

I am looking for a camera with a decent zoom. A viewfinder is necessary. I am very near sighted and wear contacts to see distance and bifocals to read.

I am looking at Fujifilm FinePix SL300, Nikon COOLPIX P510, Canon SX 40, and the Nikon COOLPIX P7100. I checked local stores and could only see the middle two in person.

I know none of them are ideal for travel, but all I have right now is a Canon SD1000 P & S and takes lousy distance shots. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Barb

This site is a bit out of date but it is useful

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-ultra-zoom-bridge-digital-cameras-16928

DON

Barb: You might look at the Panasonic FZ150 which has a great zoom and takes great pictures as well.

I bought this camera for the great zoom and could use the viewfinder or the 3" screen. The screen on camera always has some glare, pending were you are shooting, so the viewfinder is a must for me. Also take Jpeg and Raw, great camera for the price, I am sold.

Good Luck

Tom :cool:

I ordered the Panasonic from Amazon last night. My research show it s little lighter than the others I was considering and is faster in rapid shots. I hope it is easy to use. I leave August 31st and the camera arrives Tuesday so will have to get some practice in.

Thanks everyone.

Barb

I ordered the Panasonic from Amazon last night.

You won't go wrong just using the Panasonic in automatic mode. I got some decent shots in Alaska when the bears/goats/moose were easily a mile or so away.

Archived