Denali Classic Cruisetour HAL??

joy1rn

Trying to plan our first trip to Alaska and looking at the 11 day Classic Denali. Are meals included once you get off the ship and stay in the hotels? Is it a lot of hustling to put luggage out early and leave early onto the next train, etc? Should we do a 7 day cruise instead of a cruisetour our first time? What about the Denali sampler 10 day cruise? Looking to go next May. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Meals are NOT included unless specifically mentioned. Budget 50% more than you would at home.

Is getting up early and putting your bags out, going to bother you?? You are the only one who can answer this.

If the sampler, doesn't have 2 nights at Denali AND the Tundra Wilderness tour- You aren't getting into the park, which, in my opinion, is the highlight of the Alaska visit.

I'm not the expert (BQ is), but just to elaborate on what she said; the short cruise tours that you're considering spend a large proportion of the time in transit from one place to the next without stopping long enough to get anything significant out of the looong travel days. If you're considering a cruisetour, look for one that has 2 nights in Denali, which will allow you to actually enter the Park. Many of the one night stops just bring you outside the Park without allowing sufficient time to get in.

The other issue is your timeframe, i.e, May. The road into Denali might not be accessible that early. Perhaps Budget Queen or other experts can comment on this?

It says we stay in a lodge in Denali after taking the McKinley Explorer from Anchorage. So we must arrive one day, lodge overnight in Denali and then it says we have time to explore that 2nd day before reboarding the train to Fairbanks. Honestly, there are so many HAL cruisetours I can't think where to begin in deciding on one other than we only want 10-12 day trip.

It says we stay in a lodge in Denali after taking the McKinley Explorer from Anchorage. So we must arrive one day, lodge overnight in Denali and then it says we have time to explore that 2nd day before reboarding the train to Fairbanks. Honestly, there are so many HAL cruisetours I can't think where to begin in deciding on one other than we only want 10-12 day trip.

The McKinley Explorer arrives about noon on the first day. You stay overnight. The next day the Mckinly Explorer departs about noon. So, you really only have 2 half days there. Not a lot of time.

We did the longer HAL cruisetour. We arrived (from Fairbanks) at noon, stayed over 2 nights, and departed the 3rd day at noon (to Anchorage). We were able to take the Tundra Wilderness Tour on the full day (you need that much time).

I agree with many who say you need two days in Denali, at least.

:)

I did only a 3 day cruise and 8 days on land up to the Yulon and back into Alaska with HAL. We left Fairbanks approx 8:30 am arriving at Denali approximately 12:30 pm. We were scheduled for the afternoon TWT. We left the McKinley Chalet Resort approx 3:00 pm, returning at approx 11:00 pm. We saw a lot of animals, but it was indeed a long tiring day. We only had the one night in Denali, doing the Husky Homestead tour the next morning, then departing Denali at approx 12:30 pm arriving into Anchorage approximately 8:00 pm.

Yes, you will be told to have your luggage out by approx 6:30 or 7:00 every morning. We had 3 lunches and 1 dinner provided on our cruisetour. HAL does usually sell a meal voucher add-on program for those that wish to purchase it. We didn't, thinking we could eat cheaper, but you are really a captive audience, and we generally ended up eating at the hotel restaurant anyway, wishing we had purchased the meal vouchers.

I like to start a graph chart, with the ships/cruise lines across the top. Then down the side I list the things important to me (ports, time in ports, size of the ship, cabin, price, sites I want to see, etc.). As you research, put an "X" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research, one should have more x's than the others.

I knew I wanted to see the Yukon as well some of interior Alaska (Eagle, Chicken, Tok, etc). I ordered a HAL brochure instead of just looking on-line. It was easier for me to read the brochure. Also, maybe go to the library and check out a Fodor's or Frommer's or Rick Steve's travel guide for Alaska, so you know just where or what you want to see.

Have fun planning, then taking your trip to Alaska! It is an awesome destination!

Well, there's your answer. You only have 1 night in Denali and that was everyone's concern. If you arrive mid afternoon one day and leave at noon the next, you don't really have enough time to explore the park. The cruisetour probably includes a Natural History Tour which only goes to Mile 17 of 100 miles of park road. If you want to enjoy Denali's scenery and wildlife you need to get further than Mile 17. That's why everyone recommends at least 2 nights at Denali.

Does your tour provide 2 nights in Fairbanks? That's another destination that gets short changed. Fairbanks has a lot of interesting activities and sights.

Your cruisetour choice will depend on your priorities and interests.

If you're not comfortable driving yourself, perhaps consider making the reservations for the train and Princess Lodges on your own. Then you can decide for yourself how long to stay. The Lodges will still pick you up at the train depot and you can still use their shuttles to get around. Think of it as a mix of cruisetour and DIY. Something to consider.

The McKinley Explorer arrives about noon on the first day. You stay overnight. The next day the Mckinly Explorer departs about noon. So, you really only have 2 half days there. Not a lot of time.

We did the longer HAL cruisetour. We arrived (from Fairbanks) at noon, stayed over 2 nights, and departed the 3rd day at noon (to Anchorage). We were able to take the Tundra Wilderness Tour on the full day (you need that much time).

I agree with many who say you need two days in Denali, at least.

This is not correct. They do not arrive Denali Park FROM Anchorage until after 4pm and leave for Fairbanks the same time.

The significant point- which you don't address, is what tour you are on to get INTO Denali Park? IF it is the Tundra Wilderness tour, then this is the best even with the short time.

It isn't just getting there- you need to access the park. Otherwise, I see no reason to even consider the time and expense to go there (but plenty of cruisetours do this). Denali is the overall feature of most cruisetours, nothing else compares even remotely.

The significant point- which you don't address, is what tour you are on to get INTO Denali Park? IF it is the Tundra Wilderness tour, then this is the best even with the short time.

It isn't just getting there- you need to access the park. Otherwise, I see no reason to even consider the time and expense to go there (but plenty of cruisetours do this). Denali is the overall feature of most cruisetours, nothing else compares even remotely.

BQ: note that the OP is planning for May. As you have mentioned many times, the Tundra Wilderness Tour may not even be running when the OP is going.

We did the classic HAL cruise tour end of May/early June. We enjoyed it very much but in hindsight would go for one with the 2 nights in Denali. We arrived from Fairbanks at noon and left the next day at 1pm. Many were able to do the TWT the first afternoon but as others have said makes for a long day. We went flight seeing instead as my DH would not do the 8hr school bus thing. Maybe next time with an additional day.

We did enjoy Fairbanks the first night and all the second day. Highly recommend the Riverboat Discovery tour. We enjoyed all the train rides very much, didn't seem as long as they really are. We had no problem with getting the luggage out in the mornings--just pack your carryons appropriately.

Our tour didn't leave anytime for Anchorage which we also would have liked to do. Many choices, I guess thats why people go back again.

Also, we got to Denali on June 1, the very first day the park road in the park was open for the long tours.

This is not correct. They do not arrive Denali Park FROM Anchorage until after 4pm and leave for Fairbanks the same time.

Quite right. I wasn't paying attention that they were coming the opposite direction than we went. :rolleyes:

Thanks

We recently returned from our first cruise/tour (we have previously been on several 7 day roundtrip cruises to Alaska and the 14 day Explorer cruise last year). While we enjoyed the cruise/tour, we both agreed that we enjoyed the 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam more. As you have been informed, the meals on not included ($9 for a continental breakfast in Fairbanks). My suggestion is that a single day in Fairbanks is ample and see if you can spend more time in Denali. One of the best parts of the trip were the trains from Fairbanks to Denali and then from Denali to Anchorage. The trains are comfortable, the views fanastic and the food in the dining area is quite good.

• 3 weeks later...

Budget Queen, maybe you can give me some insight on our Husky Homestead Tour, that we booked. We are sailing with HAL, have 2 nights in Denali, and on day before we are to "leave" Anchorage, to return home, we have scheduled the Husky Homestead Tour, at 8:20 a.m. Length of time for that itinerary says 2.5 hours. Then it says, on that same day, "This afternoon board the McKinley Explorer train". I am "assuming" (hate to do that), that the train will take us to the Westmark for 1 night's lodging. The next day we get transferred to Anchorage airport to depart for home.

My question is, is there anywhere that we can "change" clothes (might have mud or doggie smell from holding those cuddling little puppies!) before we board the train??? Or do we endure the mud/smells for duration of trip, or what? Have you done this part of the cruisetour with HAL?

Thanks, to all who can give some 'clues'.

Some of these intineraries are not always plainly written, and a lot is a "guesstimate" as what is planned. I do realize cruise industry can't put exact scenarios on their Itineraries, but seems like they could do better with it. This is our first time going to Alaska! Just want to be "prepared" the best we can, but lack of info it's hard to do.

Any advise on these "tours" and what to expect??

Budget Queen, maybe you can give me some insight on our Husky Homestead Tour, that we booked. We are sailing with HAL, have 2 nights in Denali, and on day before we are to "leave" Anchorage, to return home, we have scheduled the Husky Homestead Tour, at 8:20 a.m. Length of time for that itinerary says 2.5 hours. Then it says, on that same day, "This afternoon board the McKinley Explorer train". I am "assuming" (hate to do that), that the train will take us to the Westmark for 1 night's lodging. The next day we get transferred to Anchorage airport to depart for home.

My question is, is there anywhere that we can "change" clothes (might have mud or doggie smell from holding those cuddling little puppies!) before we board the train??? Or do we endure the mud/smells for duration of trip, or what? Have you done this part of the cruisetour with HAL?

Thanks, to all who can give some 'clues'.

Some of these intineraries are not always plainly written, and a lot is a "guesstimate" as what is planned. I do realize cruise industry can't put exact scenarios on their Itineraries, but seems like they could do better with it. This is our first time going to Alaska! Just want to be "prepared" the best we can, but lack of info it's hard to do.

Any advise on these "tours" and what to expect??

Not BQ, but I did do the Husky Homestead tour at 8:30 on day of departure. We got back to the lodge at about 11:30, just in time to get on the bus to the train station. No time to change clothes there. Once on the train, you will have approx 8 hours for the ride. There are small restrooms on the train (think airplane restroom), so if you wanted to take a change of clothes, you might be able to do that on the train, but then you'd have your dirty clothes to carry. There really wasn't any mud or dirt to speak of. You only hold the pups for about 15 minutes.

You may go to the Westmark in Anchorage, but if full, HAL sometimes uses the Hilton (where we ended up). It's a lovely hotel with lots of shops within walking distance.

Have a great trip!

Archived