Review - Amsterdam 14night Alaska Explorer 6/29-7/13t

trophy_23

In Anchorage, you are docked at the Port of Anchorage itself. You can't walk around in that port - either have to take the shuttle into town or pick up one of the cabs that come in. Others have experienced problems with no cab lines, however on the 2 sailings we were on (2010 and 2011) cabs were there waiting to pick up and go.

Anchorage

After a full day at sea crossing the Gulf of Alaska, overcast weather greeted us as we arrived in Anchorage, however it quickly brightened up and turned into a nice day. We took the HAL shuttle bus to Egan Center (about a 10min ride), as you cannot walk in and out of the port at Anchorage. From Egan center we walked a couple blocks over to Hertz, where we had pre-arranged a rental car for the day. We decided to drive out to Point Woronzof for an overview of the city, where we happened to see a moose. From here we headed to Kincaid Park for an hour walk in hopes of seeing more moose, unfortunately no luck. We took the Seward highway to Portage, then drove through the Conservation center before making our way back toward Anchorage. After dropping off the car, we spent a little time on the free wifi at Starbucks beside Egan center, then caught the shuttle back to the ship. Free wifi was also available at the visitor center during operating hours. Anchorage is a place I would really like to return to, as I feel like even with a long day in port we barely scratched the surface of what we could do here. After our 11pm departure we decide to stay up and take a 'midnight photo' to show our friends at home just how light out it is at this time of year, amazing!

Anchorage Skyline

7637045744_5262ece3fd_b.jpg

Amsterdam docked at the freight dock (taken from Pt Woronzof)

7637033918_aae59e119e_b.jpg

12-midnight leaving Anchorage

7637064596_d1718f5728_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

RuthC here is a picture of the tender dock, you can see where you have to walk up to. Of course it will depend on the tides how steep it actually is.

:( Sigh. It is what it is, and nothing I can do about it. I do appreciate the advance notice so I can prepare mentally. And give myself enough time.

Thanks for that.

The fire works and fires along the shore was outstanding. I was up in the crows nest when I saw it. I had my brother's little camera with me My big Canons down stairs. I am hoping they come out. I jst realized I should have gone done to lower deck for better photo's. When I go back to Alaska It will be over July 4.

Mary

Homer

With no real plan in place for our time in Homer, we headed off the ship and onto the free 'Spit Shuttle' for a look around. After a short walk, we returned to the pier and took the $15pp hop-on hop-off bus to town so we could check out some shops and go to the Time Bandit store. IMO, it was a waste of $30. I think it was poorly organized and the stops were very poorly placed. There was really not much to see and most people seemed to want to stop at the Time Bandit store which was quite a walk from stop #4. It was OK for us, but for anyone with a mobility issue it was very a long walk. The school buses were in rough shape and the drivers didn't seem to have any local knowledge. A couple times we asked for information on how to get to places and these 'locals' didn't have any idea. Needless to say we were very disappointed and those on this itinerary in the future need to be aware of this. Anyways, enough ranting about that! When we returned on the hoho bus, we headed back out to the end of the spit on the free bus. From here we decided we'd had enough of buses for the day and would walk back to the ship. We walked along the beach a ways, grabbed a lunch of Halibut and chips (which was excellent) and then had a leisurely walk by the fishing boat docks back to the ship. This would be a great walk for anyone looking for close-up eagle photos, they were everywhere! Especially near the cleaning station, where the fishermen clean their catch, beside the boat ramp.

Amsterdam docked in Homer

7637173964_d506190888_b.jpg

Homer spit in the distance, past the boat harbor (Salty Dog is the lighthouse looking building in the middle of the shot)

7637164686_f2b26b3a45_b.jpg

Buildings along the spit

7637199924_775b553552_b.jpg

Homer boat harbor (Amsterdam docked in the background)

7637189532_22638a3e30_b.jpg

An eagle by the fish cleaning stand (so close I couldn't zoom out anymore:D)

7637179982_0d39741c00_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

Trophy - didn't you go to the Time Bandit Store right on the Spit? We didn't bother going to the one in town. I spoke to Jonathon and Andy's mom who was working in the store on the Spit. She said she isn't often in the store in town because they seem to get more business on the Spit.

I take it the Time Bandit wasn't in port when you were there? We saw her on our 2010 sailing on the Amsterdam - up close and personal in the large boat harbor. I got my picture taken with crewmember Eddie in front of the boat, which was such a thrill for this Deadliest Catch fan:D!!!

Trophy - didn't you go to the Time Bandit Store right on the Spit? We didn't bother going to the one in town. I spoke to Jonathon and Andy's mom who was working in the store on the Spit. She said she isn't often in the store in town because they seem to get more business on the Spit.

I take it the Time Bandit wasn't in port when you were there? We saw her on our 2010 sailing on the Amsterdam - up close and personal in the large boat harbor. I got my picture taken with crewmember Eddie in front of the boat, which was such a thrill for this Deadliest Catch fan:D!!!

We had hoped it would be in port, but no luck. Also, there is no longer a Time Bandit store on the spit, we did ask.

We had hoped it would be in port, but no luck. Also, there is no longer a Time Bandit store on the spit, we did ask.

I have enjoyed reading your review, and all the beautiful photos that you posted. In Homer, I agree with you about that $15.00 Hop on - hop off "shuttle" that HAL provides.... it is a rip off. I couldn't find one thing to hop off for!! also those school busses don't have much "knee" room!!

the free bus to the spit was much better, although still a school bus, When we were in Homer on our June 1st cruise, the time bandit was tied up there and someone said the other white ship by it was the new boat for "Deadliest Catch". we went into the Salty Dog. interesting, there was a sign on the bar that said something like "A Quaint drinking village with a fishing proplem'.

I have enjoyed reading your review, and all the beautiful photos that you posted. In Homer, I agree with you about that $15.00 Hop on - hop off "shuttle" that HAL provides.... it is a rip off. I couldn't find one thing to hop off for!! also those school busses don't have much "knee" room!!

the free bus to the spit was much better, although still a school bus, When we were in Homer on our June 1st cruise, the time bandit was tied up there and someone said the other white ship by it was the new boat for "Deadliest Catch". we went into the Salty Dog. interesting, there was a sign on the bar that said something like "A Quaint drinking village with a fishing proplem'.

That is neat that you got to see Time Bandit, i was really hoping we would too. Oh well, no biggie. I really liked Homer, but the way the bus was organized by HAL was not good, we complained to the front desk and the excursion manager.

:confused::confused: Trophy....I have a scooter that I use on the ship....is it possible to scoot my way to the spit?? Is the free shuttle able to put a scooter on it???? Again, wonderful pictures and report!!!

The free shuttle is a school bus, so it would be tough for a scooter IMO. You shouldnt have any trouble scooting over to the spit and back, it is not really all that far. You would be travelling through parking lots and on the shoulder of the road so it is fairly smooth. Most of the buildings are on evelated boardwalks and I dont recall if they had ramps.

That is neat that you got to see Time Bandit, i was really hoping we would too. Oh well, no biggie. I really liked Homer, but the way the bus was organized by HAL was not good, we complained to the front desk and the excursion manager.

We ended up taking a cab from the Salty Dog to the Homer Brewery, after both bus rides. the brewery was in the town, not far from one of the HO HO bus stops. it cost $8.00 RT from the Salty Dog and back to ship, and... the driver waited for us, we were just buying glasses and a tshirt. I should've complained, but didn't. at least the bus fare went onto our shipboard total!!

Thank you all for following along ! :)

Kodiak

Well, we finally woke up to a spectacular sunrise, but unfortunately it was short lived and the cloud cover rolled in. Kodiak is where we had planned our one BIG excursion of the trip, so we were very excited for the day ahead, bear viewing with Sea Hawk Air. We were off the ship at 7:25am to meet our van pickup at 7:30, they were right on time. After a slight delay trying to clear up some confusion with other cruisers (who 'tentatively booked' with Sea Hawk, but then actually booked with another company), we were off to meet our seaplane. Fortunately for us, because of this confusion, it ended up being just the two of us on this tour, so we boarded the plane with our pilot Willie and off we went to the Katmai Coast. What a spectacular day it was, the stunning scenery on the flight alone was worth it! We saw plenty of bears up close, and as a bonus, elk, humpback and fin whales, from the air. The bears were so cooperative we didn't even have to get off the pontoon of the plane, except to explore the beach!! We spent most of our time sitting on the pontoons or standing in knee deep water photographing the bears while they foraged and dug for clams on the beach. After a successful day, we had the best homemade box lunch ever to enjoy on the flight home. I can truly say this was the highlight of our trip and Sea Hawk Air did a fantastic job, I would fly again with them in a heartbeat!

'Sunrise' near Kodiak

7643956962_cfb4bddac3_b.jpg

Fishing Boats in Kodiak

7643947444_6a10b80c52_b.jpg

Sea Hawk Air, our ride for the day:D

7643968980_804d9bf25e_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23

Been waiting to hear/see about your float plane/bear excursion in Kodiak. Looks like you were SO close to the bears-WOW! What an experience of a lifetime-glad the weather cooperated for you that day too. Must have been nice to have the plane all to yourselves and a private tour when the others didn't come.

Love the photo of the bear digging for clams:)

Hubbard Glacier

After crossing back across the Gulf of Alaska, we made our way into Yakutat Bay and Hubbard Glacier. It was partly cloudy and due to favorable ice conditions we were able to make it very, very close to the face of the glacier. We were treated to some calving and even though I have seen it before I am still amazed by the impressive size and blue color of Hubbard Glacier!

Hubbard Glacier Pano

7650287340_d769237a80_b.jpg

Edited by trophy_23