Tell me about Capt. Todd McBain

Pia1913

When we sailed with him on the Dawn Princess (repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Sydney,Australia) we came to like him better than any previous captains. Even his crew said they liked him while most crews just say "We don't see him very much" or "He's OK.). When one of our ports (Kirabati) didn't clean out their harbor for landing safety reasons, Captain McBain said we weren't going to land there or give them any money because they hadn't done what they were supposed to do. Instead, we would sail around the island for a couple of hours and go to Tahiti a day early. The passengers were happy with that. Also, when some passengers got into a fight with a crew member, for doing his job, the captain threw them off the ship. This is what I heard happened...The passengers in question would "reserve" a number of pool side lounge chairs by putting towels on them and then leave to do whatever. After an allotted time, the crew member would remove the towels so those who were actually going to use the chairs could. Well, the previous mentioned passengers waited one morning to see who was removing their towels and when they found out, they got into a fight with the crew member. When the rest of us passengers heard Captain McBain tell us what happened and that he put the offenders off his ship we all cheered. Captain McBain would also take the time to do seminars and stay after to talk to us, his passengers. We came to feel that he was not only a great captain but also a great man. We'll sail anywhere that he goes. We're going from San Francisco to Hawaii and back this October on the best ship (Star) and the best Captain (Captain Todd McBain).

Are you on the October 6th cruise? If so, come join our roll call.

Cpt McBain was on Dawn NZ in 2009/2010. Be assured, you'll be in good hands. He always has the passengers' safety as his number 1 priority. My cruise missed Christchuch due to being unable to exit Port Chalmers - not his fault, but the weather. He made the call & I was glad he was intereted in my safety.

Can you please advise who the MAITRE D' is on Star & also Coral?

• 7 months later...

Hi Pia and the rest of the gang,

Just got off Star last Tues after our Valparaiso-Los Angeles jaunt.

Don't know if it's his Canadian Navy background or not, but Todd IMHO is one of the most informative Captains I've sailed with in the Princess fleet.

It didn't have to be the noon update from the bridge, as he wouldn't hesitate to come on the box and give his pax some historical/statistical info on ports of call etc while enroute to destinations.

Will do a cruise wrap-up/critique once I get back to Red Deer.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Pia and the rest of the gang,

Just got off Star last Tues after our Valparaiso-Los Angeles jaunt.

Don't know if it's his Canadian Navy background or not, but Todd IMHO is one of the most informative Captains I've sailed with in the Princess fleet.

It didn't have to be the noon update from the bridge, as he wouldn't hesitate to come on the box and give his pax some historical/statistical info on ports of call etc while enroute to destinations.

Will do a cruise wrap-up/critique once I get back to Red Deer.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Ron: this is an old thread, so I did in fact meet Capt. McBain back in October. Nice guy.

Capt McBain was our captain on the Star Princess Cuise Feb25-Mar10 Buenos Aires to Valapariso. It was the best cruise of the season around the Horn & Falklands. He kept us informed each day's events.

We also did the RTW problems on the Dawn with Capt McBain,he was great we missed several ports due to engine:rolleyes: problems,he kept us informed all the way.He has a very high profile around the ship and often does a walk through Horizon Court at lunch time.I am sure he will be at your M&G.

WE have sailed with Captain McBain, he is from B.C. so we had chatted about that, sorry can't remember the ship we were on.

Then in March he boarded the ship in Cabo on our way to San Fran for the takeover from Captain Perrin.

We were at the end of our South America adventure. We saw both Captain in Vines and chatted with them. I commented to Captain McBain that if during the upcoming Hawaiin cruise if he had to miss a port (like Perrin had in Ushuaha because of protest and therefore sailed us past Glacier Alley - to the delight of all the passengers during the day) all he had to do to make the passengers happy was to take the ship to a glacier.

We are said that Captain Perrin won't be on our voyage in Sept. It would o been nice to catch up with him. But we look forward to seeing Todd again.

Just a small point of clarification. Todd now lives in BC, but he is a tried and true Albertan-born in Edmonton, spent a lot of his youth in Calgary.

For non Canadians, it's kind of like a Texan who now has to live in (gasp) New york-that doesn't make him a Yankee.

Archived