How "formal" is "formal" on RCI?

i believe if you check Websters Dic for the definition of FORMAL it will not mention khakis, jeans or shorts. :confused:

It also doesn't mention tuxes, ball gowns, jackets, or ties...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/formal

Definition of FORMAL

a : belonging to or constituting the form or essence of a thing <formal cause>

b : relating to or involving the outward form, structure, relationships, or arrangement of elements rather than content <formal logic> <a formal style of painting> <a formal approach to comparative linguistics>

a : following or according with established form, custom, or rule <lacked formal schooling> <a formal dinner party> <formal attire>

b : done in due or lawful form <a formal contract> <received formal recognition>

a : characterized by punctilious respect for form : methodical <very formal in all his dealings>

b : rigidly ceremonious : prim

: having the appearance without the substance <formal Christians who go to church only at Easter>

:confused:

To answer your original question, having been on the other two lines mentioned, I found the level of dress comparable. Some dress to the nine's some don't.

The difference between HAL and RCCL is we stay up past 9:00PM.:D

I have a suggestion for those who don't like to fight with traditional tuxes, formal dresses etc. Take it or not as you choose, but it can be quite fun!

Grab something from history, specifically from the area you grew up in or where your family is from. Now for some folks, that won't change you off the tuc, but you might be adding tails and a top hat lol.

Being from Texas originally, I usually go in an 1890s Western formal appearance. This has the advantage of sneaking in black jeans (ducking flames) without looking out of place!

So far I've seen few other people doing it, but I have seen guys in kilts (becoming rather common actually), ladies in kimonos, and those multi-colored African outfits a few times too. Makes for some interesting diversity at dinner.

To answer your original question, having been on the other two lines mentioned, I found the level of dress comparable. Some dress to the nine's some don't.

The difference between HAL and RCCL is we stay up past 9:00PM.:D

Thanks.:cool:

WOW! Another good reason to try Royal Caribbean. :D

for·mal·wear

   /ˈfɔrməlˌwɛər/ Show Spelled[fawr-muhl-wair] Show IPA

noun clothing designed for or customarily worn on formal occasions, as tuxedos and evening gowns.

PP says "webster's doesn't include khaki's, jeans, and shorts. I was just pointing out WEBSTER'S doesn't mention tuxes or ballgowns.

In all honesty, if RC (or any cruise line) doesn't enforce their policy, it's not up to the guests to do the enforcing. JMO.

All very good comments here. Personally I've only been on HAL and the typical nights are usually sportcoats or suits for the men. Formal nights are dark suits or tux's. You do see the "clowns" but they are actually very few.

This time we're choosing RCI because of the more relaxed overall atmosphere. At the same time not choosing Carnival because it is no longer "spring break" but is still very relaxed. Hoping folks on RCI know how to dress appropriately for dinner and the evening. I agree Jen & Randy, many people just don't get it and it's a shame.

After a few hours in a tie I admit, I get a little squirelly too. :eek: But I think nothing less than business casual attire is appropriate for any night.

Bob

Your itinerary suggests to me that you might have a higher percentage of non-Americans aboard, compared to a Caribbean or Alaska cruise, for example, and I've found that Europeans and Asians usually dress up more for all evenings aboard. If it were us, we'd be packing our most formal attire.

Archived