Monkeys in Belize and Roatan

19snapshot

We were on the Legend recently and had the opportunity to see holwer monkeys in the wild in Belize (Baboon Sanctuary) and spider monkeys in cages in Roatan. The experiences couldn't have been more different.

Belize:

Cruise2012489.jpgCruise2012490.jpgCruise2012486.jpg

I am curious if anyone else has had monkey encounters in both ports and if they felt the same way I did. I loved seeing the wild monkeys in Belize. We saw a family with a tiny baby. They approached us only if they chose to. It was amazing. Not real interactive, but moving.

In Roatan they were in cages. They were very interactive, which somehow managed to be both fun and terribly sad at the same time.

We went to the see the monkeys when we were in Roatan and I couldn't agree more with you. I loved holding them. They were all over me as soon as I stepped inside their cage. It was sad when we had to leave them behind :(

We did the Pirate and Monkey excursion through Carnival on the Dream last August in Roatan. It was a disappointment. I wanted to hold a monkey, but alas was told to just stand there, they will sit on my shoulder and thats it. They were in an open area. Had a very nice set up for them. Later in the park, we came upon a monkey, I would say he was a baboon, I am at work, and without my camera, so I am going to say he was a baboon. I was so interested, he was just chilling out on a railing. But our guide came running up, telling us he was very mean and he will bite and for us to steer clear, but he was able to run loose in the park?

In Belize we did the Mayan Ruins and River Wallace tour. On the tour we saw monkeys in the trees laying around. It was awesome, just wish I could have held one and hugged it!

Archived