Surprising Parents with Vow Renewal??

We are cruising with my parents who will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary while onboard. My parents have paid for all of us to go with them on the Freedom of the Seas this October. My sister and I are thinking of surprising them with a vow renewal, something informal and private as they are private people.

We were thinking of doing it on their balcony(they have a suite), and having them read some sort of vow to each other, maybe a poem or two said by grandchildren, champagne and cake and take our own photos.

Anyone ever done this or something similar?

Any ideas/comments are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

That is such a sweet idea.

If you want to do something more formal, yet still private, the vow renewal option is less than $400 on Carnival. It includes a cake and small reception. I'm not sure what your budget may be, but if you split the cost with your siblings it may be an affordable option.

That is such a sweet idea.

If you want to do something more formal, yet still private, the vow renewal option is less than $400 on Carnival. It includes a cake and small reception. I'm not sure what your budget may be, but if you split the cost with your siblings it may be an affordable option.

I just booked our Vow Renewal today on Carnival for $385.00; you get a Vow Renewal at a sea day, ceremony, 2-tier cake, champagne, captain does ceremony

6 guests, music flowers, a 8x10 framed photo. its a private ceremony. or you can do the bigger package for $735? that one includes up to 20 guests and 1 hour open bar and appetizers.

Actually my sister and I surprised my parents on their 50th anniversary with a vow renewal in Las Vegas, and they loved it! I would hope that after 50 years together a couple is willing to repeat their wedding vows.

Ummm.. why not just give them a 50th party or reception by reserving a room and ordering appetizers and champagne and cake. Renewing vows should be a choice made between the couple not a surprise. :rolleyes:

I agree; I would not like this surprise.

I don't know why people are suggesting what Carnival is offering when they are booked on RCCL... that aside... If they are taking you on the cruise to celebrate their anniversary, then I think they would welcome the surprise of a renewal.

My parents did the same, paid for the children and spouses to go on Explorer of the Sea. There was a lot of conflicts of dates and times for everyone to get together so unfortunately the grand-kids got cut from the trip (all over 17 and doing their own thing)

We, the kids, went back and forth what we were going to do and we opted for a small party celebration on board. They did a huge celebration / vow renewal on their 25th and we didn't want them to feel like we were trying to compete with what they had done.

I have talked to my mom since about me doing a renewal and she stated "vows need to be remembered and cherished, if you want to do something special, repeat your vows to each other each year, add a special memory or promise at the end of it and make that day just as special as your wedding day."

With that thought... I would go for it!!

Thank You for all of your input! We are on RCCL. I was hesitating because I do think a vow renewal should be their choice but:

My Sis and I decided to keep it lighthearted on their balcony during sail away. Not really a "roast", but more like: "Edgar, do you promise to eat Ellie's cooking and not complain that she only cooks anymore when the Grandchildren are over?" Do you, Edgar, Promise not to disrupt Ellie while she is playing her computer games?" "Do you, Ellie, Promise to encourage Grandchildren to at least try and laugh at Papa's jokes?"

This fits perfectly with our family as we joke around a lot and love to use our sense of humor. Also found some 50th Anniversary poems for the grandkids to read, and did a search of their home to find some wedding photos to create something special for them. A champagne toast and cake and we are kicking the week off right! They will love it!

Archived