Malta or Dubrovnik

They are both fantastic ports of call. If you want a quieter port then you will probably be the only ship in Malta. It is beautiful and there are lots of places of historic interest. Dubrovnik is very popular and much the better known and visited of the two. There may well be five or six ships in port and much as we love it with so much to see and do, we tend to avoid it these days. For the first time cruiser to Europe, however I'd probably go for it!!

They are both amazing ports. I might tip a little more to Malta though as I feel there is a bit more to do. We went to Mdina in the morning and walked around Valletta in the afternoon. I don't know if you are mobility challenged, but Valletta is very hilly. I also give nod to Malta because the sail in is fantastic. You pull into the Grand Harbor with waves crashing everywhere, etc. Beautiful.

520-1.jpg

580.jpg

Dubrovnik is beautiful as well. We did the cable car in the morning and then walked the walls after. The views up on the walls were incredible. I agree that Dubrovnik has the chance of being more crowded.

695.jpg

756.jpg

You really can't go wrong with either. As an added bonus, if you are a "Game of Thrones" fan than each city was featured. In Season 1 the city of King's Landing was filmed in Mdina, in Season 2 they used Dubrovnik.

I have not been, yet, to Malta, however, I have heard good things. BUT, from personal experience, I have . . . .

Super loved Dubrovnik from being there last June!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 7,000 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by. Much in Dubrovnik depends on how many other ships are in port the day of your visit there. Plus the weather.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

What other ports are you considering? See lots of my pictures from Dubrovnik below. More on my full live/blog for Venice, Rome and many other great ports in the Med.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 94,458 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is the Stradun or main shopping street of Dubrovnik as it stretches to the clock tower. The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. Don’t missing walking the wall in this great town.:

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

This is a small sampling of the St. Blaise Church Treasury.:

DubrGoldInChurchTreasury.jpg

I have done both a couple times. We just did both of them on our most recent Med cruise a couple months ago. You can see lots of photos of both of them in our review at www.thepreismans.com. One of the most special parts of doing Dubrovnik is to walk the wall which we did on our 2007 Med cruise. There are lots of photos of that walk in that cruise review.

You can't go wrong with either port. But you will hopefully get enough info and photos from everyone to help you decide which one is better for you.

Archived