WHy do you work with a TA?

lbt43

In our case, it was altruistic.

I do the travel arrangements in the family and I'm a bit of a control freak- I want to work the loyalty programs, I know what minimum connection time I'll tolerate in what airports, etc. We've gone to Russia, Croatia and Brazil, among other places, independently.

The cruise line we chose plays by different rules and I didn't expect any freebies by using a TA. There's a travel store in our town owned by very nice couple and they've been able to print railroad tickets on European systems when I've gone in circles on the RR Web sites trying to make a reservation. They don't get a lot of commission out of that, or much income out of the occasional travel stuff we buy there. Since our cruise costs the same with or without a TA, I gave them the info and had them book it.

A bonus from our side as well: now they know about this line (I even sent them a link to my CruiseCritic review) so they can recommend it for people who might like it.

I have done both- booked myseld and used a TA.

My TA will meet or beat the price of any cruise that I bring to her. She will also throw in some OBC. I can talk to a human being when I call, and she even tolerates my stalkerish behaviour!:rolleyes:

On this last venture she saved us well over a $1000 on the published price, got us a room on the side of the boat that we desired AND gave us OBC. I am sold!

Here's the difference to me:

Work with TA--I say here's where I want to go and here's the cruise line and date (I've researched that myself). I say I want to stay near the biggest attractions and she comes back and says, "here are 3 choices. I've stayed at all 3 and here are the prices". She negotiates a better rate for me than I can see online. I'm not calling a hotel in Italy to negotiate. She books Eurorail and tells me what I need to know that the website doesn't tell me. She gets me discounted rates, watches Early Saver to get OBC and price reductions, and sends a couple of bottles of wine to my cabin from the Bon Voyage department. She sees airfares that I cannot find (I've tried) myself by perusing the airline sites (Can you say Phoenix to Barcelona to Rome with a return from Barcelona to Phoenix through Atlanta?)

I do it myself: My friend booked a cruise directly with the cruiseline. I HAD TO ACT AS OUR TRAVEL AGENT to find a hotel in Vancouver that is near the pier and provides a shuttle. I HAD TO FIND AIRFARES to Vancouver and returning from Anchorage. Why should I do all that work when I don't get a discount for doing so (the airlines and cruiselines pay $ back to her, not me).

She is always available 24/7 unless she is in the Alps and then her husband mans the phone if there are problems.

WORTH EVERY PENNY I NEVER HAVE TO PAY HER.:D;)

Of course, if I was flying to Florida to get on a ship and staying in a chain hotel then maybe I would do it myself...............oh no, that's right.........she lives in Florida. So I wouldn't even do it then.

We went thru a TA to book our cruise on Freedom of the Seas in May of 2013. The reason we went thru a TA is because we are new to cruising and knew nothing about it. I think if (or hopefully when) I book another one I will probably do it myself.

1. My TA is very competent and often has better, more accurate information about my booking than some underpaid 'order taker' at the cruise line.

2. My TA is proactive about finding deals, watching for price adjustments in my favor, adjusting my booking for meal times, cabin configuration, etc.

3. My TA is a small businessman who has a family and needs to put food on his table. None of this describes a large corporation.

4. My TA has correct, accurate information about passports, cruise line policies, insurance and economical excursions.

5. My TA is flexible and can find ways to use cruiseline rules and policies in my favor rather than rigidly say "no".

Finally, if you think that TA's are a dying breed, look at the multitude of happy cruisers that are arriving or departing their cruise onboard the plethora of charter buses at the terminal. The vast majority of those pax used a (successful and competent) travel agent.

She negotiates a better rate for me than I can see online. I'm not calling a hotel in Italy to negotiate. She books Eurorail and tells me what I need to know that the website doesn't tell me. She gets me discounted rates, watches Early Saver to get OBC and price reductions, and sends a couple of bottles of wine to my cabin from the Bon Voyage department. She sees airfares that I cannot find (I've tried) myself by perusing the airline sites (Can you say Phoenix to Barcelona to Rome with a return from Barcelona to Phoenix through Atlanta?)

Yeah, I'd say she's a keeper. A lot of my experience has been with corporate TAs who know less about where I'm going than I do. Years ago (pre-Internet) I remember having to track down the airport code for London City (LCY) because I wanted to fly out of there to Brussels and the TA didn't know it existed.

What kind of crisis are you referring to? Almost all of my vacations, whether land or sea, have been booked online and to date, I've never encountered an issue where I would define it as a crisis. Are you referring to people who just simply can't decide on what to do? Please elaborate as I'm learning something new about your profession.

Here's one my TA bailed us out on... Several years ago we took a 7 day cruise and we had several issues and problems aboard the ship. I complained on the ship to no avail. I wrote a letter to the cruise line... yep, you know the kind of answer I got. Then I mentioned the situation to my TA (we used her for 20+ years). She exploded! She told us to sit tight and she would contact thier cruise line rep and let them know what happened. She also escalated it up through her company. Three weeks later we had a check for $500 in our hand for our troubles from the cruise line. THAT is when TAs are worth tier weight in gold!

Alas, our TA is now retired so we book cruises ourselves. But with years of experience, we are nearly as good as a TA. But if you are a cruise virgin, I highly recommend using a good, reputable, local TA. They can work wonders for you. Using a TA you have the strength and power of an agency behind you, especially if that TA books tons of that cruise line's cruises. Just you against the cruise line rarely works.

After years of seeing this argument on this and other boards, it realy comes down to who has the best Mother. We all think we have the best! In the TA or no TA fight, no one is completely right or wrong.

Happy sailing to all!!!:D

----------------------

Sea ya!

Hobiecat01

Ron and Lee

Canton, GA (a NW sub of Atlanta, GA)

Proud Emerald Crown & Anchor Members

CCL: Mardis Gras, Destiny

Princess: Grand, Sea

RCL: Serenade, Navigator, Mariner, Freedom, Liberty, Oasis

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." - Ben Franklin

73 Days at sea!

Thank you to all the posters that are happy with their TAs. You make my job much easier. When I say that I have your back and am there to assist you in times of crisis, it means different things to different people. Yes there are marginal TA's that are just in it for a paycheck. There are others that value their clients' business and loyalty. Our business is all about relationships and knowing that you can pick the phone up and talk to a consultant that is there for you and will go above and beyond to resolve any issues or concerns that you have have. I had a client that was traveling on business last week and had a death in his family and needed to make adjustments to his travel schedule. He called me and was able to get home and be there to be with his wife in her time of need (at no additional cost). Some of what we do cannot have a pricetag put on it and some things can. Once you find a professional travel consultant, you will know what I do and how I have your back.

Life is too short to stay at home watching TV. Please go out any explore this beautiful creation that God has given us and when you find a TA that you trust, please be let them know you appreciate him/her.

I'm not really sure why you think this day and age would make booking directly with the cruiseline more cost effective than not. I can book directly with my TA without leaving my couch too.

I will admit I have booked directly with Princess a few times. Recently, one of my friends connected me with a travel agent in the Pennsylvania area (I'm from California). Thank goodness she did! I saved $900 of booking directly with the cruiseline and received an onboard credit and wine on my October 9, 2013 Princess cruise. For my cruise to the Caribbean in December of 2013 I saved $400 off Princess' direct fares by booking with a TA and also received OBC and a bottle of wine.

The real question should be: In this day and age why wouldn't you use a high volume cruise TA - one who sells alot of your particular cruise line.

I've learned my lesson and will always book my cruises with my TA. Even though she is in Pennsylvania and I'm in California I have communicated with her via email on weekends and evenings. She is beyond responsive and I never feel like I've "lost control of my booking" which was something I wondered about before booking with her.

We went thru a TA to book our cruise on Freedom of the Seas in May of 2013. The reason we went thru a TA is because we are new to cruising and knew nothing about it. I think if (or hopefully when) I book another one I will probably do it myself.

Before you make that decision on your next cruise, have you checked the difference in pricing between what you got with your TA and if you booked directly? You might be surprised. And, then again, you might not be. For a few years I had tried to find a TA who could beat Princess' prices and I kept getting prices at the same rate so I continued to book on my own. Recently I had a friend recommend a high volume Princess agency. The TA isn't local to my area but she was able to save me $900 on my next cruise, plus onboard credit and a bottle of wine.

When you cruise in 2013 you might ask your fellow cruisers for some info on their TA's and the prices they get. Or perhaps you may connect with some on your roll call here in cruise critic that might be able to help you. Of course, they can't help you by posting travel agent names on these boards but you can connect with them via personal email. I'm very, very happy I got out of the "I'm going to book my cruise on my own" mode. It has saved me alot of money on my next two booked cruises.

It really does pay to ask folks, do some research on line, and call around or email some travel agents to see if you are getting the best deal.

We booked with a LARGE on-line TA initially because they offered a cash card & OBC. We later decided we wanted to switch from oceanview to balcony & only local TA had a cabin available. We booked with him & canceled prior reservation w/o penalty. He later offered us an upgraded balcony for only $50 more but was able to give us a discount on the upgrade so it was the same price as oiginally booked balcony.

This is the 1st cruise we have booked, so we are still on the fence as to how much we like/LOVE TAs. We do use TAs for air travel when they can get us better fares & connections than we can on our own. If the TAs can't improve on what we can get, we tend to book ourselves.

Here's the difference to me:

Work with TA--I say here's where I want to go and here's the cruise line and date (I've researched that myself). I say I want to stay near the biggest attractions and she comes back and says, "here are 3 choices. I've stayed at all 3 and here are the prices". She negotiates a better rate for me than I can see online. I'm not calling a hotel in Italy to negotiate. She books Eurorail and tells me what I need to know that the website doesn't tell me. She gets me discounted rates, watches Early Saver to get OBC and price reductions, and sends a couple of bottles of wine to my cabin from the Bon Voyage department. She sees airfares that I cannot find (I've tried) myself by perusing the airline sites (Can you say Phoenix to Barcelona to Rome with a return from Barcelona to Phoenix through Atlanta?)

I do it myself: My friend booked a cruise directly with the cruiseline. I HAD TO ACT AS OUR TRAVEL AGENT to find a hotel in Vancouver that is near the pier and provides a shuttle. I HAD TO FIND AIRFARES to Vancouver and returning from Anchorage. Why should I do all that work when I don't get a discount for doing so (the airlines and cruiselines pay $ back to her, not me).

She is always available 24/7 unless she is in the Alps and then her husband mans the phone if there are problems.

WORTH EVERY PENNY I NEVER HAVE TO PAY HER.:D;)

Of course, if I was flying to Florida to get on a ship and staying in a chain hotel then maybe I would do it myself...............oh no, that's right.........she lives in Florida. So I wouldn't even do it then.

Another thing I just remembered: On the recent Breeze inaugural she came back and said we could upgrade from Interior to a Balcony for $200 ($600 value). We did and got $200 each in OBC at the same time. I still don't know how she got us that. We had already gotten $180 in OBC each so we went in a Balcony for a few bucks more and got $380 each in OBC.

I love our TA. We have used her for all of our cruises, but one. She's like a member of our family:) I look forward to every cruise to see what gift she has ordered for us to be left in our room.

We moved to another state a few years ago and still use her. All done by email.

Before you make that decision on your next cruise, have you checked the difference in pricing between what you got with your TA and if you booked directly? You might be surprised. And, then again, you might not be. For a few years I had tried to find a TA who could beat Princess' prices and I kept getting prices at the same rate so I continued to book on my own. Recently I had a friend recommend a high volume Princess agency. The TA isn't local to my area but she was able to save me $900 on my next cruise, plus onboard credit and a bottle of wine.

When you cruise in 2013 you might ask your fellow cruisers for some info on their TA's and the prices they get. Or perhaps you may connect with some on your roll call here in cruise critic that might be able to help you. Of course, they can't help you by posting travel agent names on these boards but you can connect with them via personal email. I'm very, very happy I got out of the "I'm going to book my cruise on my own" mode. It has saved me alot of money on my next two booked cruises.

It really does pay to ask folks, do some research on line, and call around or email some travel agents to see if you are getting the best deal.

I checked online and the TA price was the same as I could get booking direct, but it was a local TA not a high volume business. I hadn't thought about booking thru an internet TA but I will keep that in mind.

Archived