What To Do! What To Do! (Need to select a cruise line for Alaska - thoughts?)

jwoap

Hi everyone :)!

It's been almost two years since I have posted. I mainly lurk unless I am less than a year out for any travel.

So guess what? Yours truly turns (cough) 50 next year:eek:!! I know, right??

My wish is to head back to Alaska! We had so much fun on the NCL Star we just have to go back to Alaska. However, we are seriously thinking of trying another cruise line.

What are your thoughts about Holland America?

We unfortunately didn't get to see glaciers in 2010. We were trying to see the Sawyer Glaciers but it was too dangerous for the ship so they turned her around and chugged for the next port. We were sorely disappointed but were thankful for safety first.

So now I am attempting to research different cruise lines and wondering who does the best Alaska cruise.

We'd like to embark from Seattle and disembark from Seattle. Our friends and family are coming along so it's going to be even more fun!

We loved free style dining upon the Star, but I think this next time if we went NCL it would be on the Pearl.

Any of your wisdom would be fantastic. I am so excited to be planning a cruise again:)

It's great to read and see you all!

Head to a site IMMEDIATELY and book Holland America's fourteen day one; they are discontinuing it after this season. :mad:

This will be your last chance....................their 14 day one is fantastic and it's nothing like doing a B 2 B..................it goes clear to Kodiak Island..........and is THE BEST;) ever. We loved it and we've cruised to AK often.

Oooh really? Thank you so much!

Head to a site IMMEDIATELY and book Holland America's fourteen day one; they are discontinuing it after this season. :mad:

This will be your last chance....................their 14 day one is fantastic and it's nothing like doing a B 2 B..................it goes clear to Kodiak Island..........and is THE BEST;) ever. We loved it and we've cruised to AK often.

Next year the Star Princess will be doing some round-trip cruises from Seattle that will go to Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. Check the dates and itineraries closely because it isn't every cruise that's going. Princess has anytime dining plus some nice premium dining venues. I think you would enjoy it.

What are your thoughts about Holland America?

We unfortunately didn't get to see glaciers in 2010. We were trying to see the Sawyer Glaciers but it was too dangerous for the ship so they turned her around and chugged for the next port. We were sorely disappointed but were thankful for safety first.

So now I am attempting to research different cruise lines and wondering who does the best Alaska cruise.

QUOTE]

The key point with Tracy Arm, IF you have a must do priority is to book the ship shore excursion for Tracy Arm, not ride in on the cruise ship. This is a grossly superior transit.

Other problem was, you accepted the "safety" excuse. Do you really think any cruiseship is at any saftey risk going into Tracy Arm, or anywhere else in Alaska? Are you reading all kinds of reports of ships sinking, rescues etc etc ??? Nope you aren't. The reason the cruise ships don't make the full transit is pure TIME. The scheduled are very tightly timed and they need perfect conditions for full transit. Ice does slow them down, that's it. So they go so far- whoops, we have timed ourselves at the half time and - turn around head out. The safety thing is readily accepted by cruise passengers, so tell them that. :)

HAL is an excellent cruiseline, especially if you can snag Glacier Bay and Sitka, would be two new areas for you. BUT, NCL does a great job, they also have a Glacier Bay itinerary. IF you desire to sail Tracy Arm, then budget for the add on boat tour.

We just returned from the Pearl at the end of June. We did the Tracy Arm and Glacier Explorer tour offered by NCL - Allen Marine is the actual provider. It takes the entire time the ship is in Juneau - so you should not make plans for Mendenhall Glacier or Whale Watching - but seeing Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers up close is priceless. When you couple that with Glacier Bay on Thursday the experience is overwhelming. BTW we did see whales in Glacier Bay. I have noticed that the Princess and NCL ships seem to have higher crusing speeds and top speeds when compared to HAL, CEL, and CAR and therefore can make up schedule time issues. I know that we were pushing 25KTs all the way from Ketchikan to Victoria and passed the Oosterdam (who left a good 1/2 hr ahead of us) as well as the Princess ship which we passed in the Strait of Juan De Fuca.

A few years ago, we did round trip out of Seattle on Celebrity and loved it. Hubbard Glacier was very active and impressive during our visit. This year we did a Princess cruise that went to glacier bay instead. While glacier bay had more glaciers to view, none were as spectacular as hubbard, or as active (we only saw one very small calve, and no loud cracking/thunder like we saw at hubbard). So in our limited experience, we prefer itineraries that visit Hubbard, and we preferred Celebrity over Princess (Celebrity had better service and food in our experience).

A few years ago, we did round trip out of Seattle on Celebrity and loved it. Hubbard Glacier was very active and impressive during our visit. This year we did a Princess cruise that went to glacier bay instead. While glacier bay had more glaciers to view, none were as spectacular as hubbard, or as active (we only saw one very small calve, and no loud cracking/thunder like we saw at hubbard). So in our limited experience, we prefer itineraries that visit Hubbar.. .

Does the frequency of calving have anything to do with the time of year? Where both of your cruises taken at the same time of year? We have not taken an Alaskan cruise yet, but are considering it for 25th anniversary in 2014.

Does the frequency of calving have anything to do with the time of year? Where both of your cruises taken at the same time of year? We have not taken an Alaskan cruise yet, but are considering it for 25th anniversary in 2014.

Nope, 100% random. Global warming, does have the glaciers receeding at an alarming rate. It's interesting there are some stable glaciers as well. No way to predict anything. :) Your view will be one of a kind. Enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alaska's glaciers are retreating for the most part, but part of the phenomenon of losing mass includes some periods when a glacier will surge (advance) instead of retreating. I noticed a huge difference in Sawyer Glacier between our first cruise there in 2003 and our second one in 2010. Mendenhall Glacier has retreated nearly 2 miles since 1958.

Archived