Inspiring weight loss stories

I'm a 42 year old woman, 5'7 and was at my highest weight of 271 pounds about 2 1/2 years ago. I was in a size 24 and finally starting to feel unhealthy (I never had bad blood pressure or cholesterol) and out of breath when it came to walking long distances or using stairs so I decided I needed to do something about it. I lost 105 pounds in about 10 months using Nutrisystem. I learned a lot about food exchanges and how to pair them most effectively, resulting in never being hungry or even being deprived. I used their food primarily for the first 3 months but then I started adding in my own foods for meals as I got the hang of what to eat. By the end of my weight loss portion I was getting only 1 box every 3 months. I have successfully maintained my loss for 1 1/2 years now.

beforeandafter3.jpg

5925947564_3e5976e590_z.jpg

Most people neglect the nutrition plan. 80% of your results come from the nutrition end of it.

That is so true. If you have a fitness plan and practice it faithfully if you're not eating right you're fighting a losing battle. That's what I'm trying to get together....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Backup1652.jpg

me.jpg

motorcycle001.jpg

hike021512-07.jpg

6 months. 60 pounds. My Fitness Pal App.

LOOK IN THE MIRROR EVERY TIME YOU LOOK IN THE FRIDGE.

ANYONE CAN DO THIS!

Wow! 90x did it for you! You look great!

Wow! 90x did it for you! You look great!

Didn't do any set routine or program - counted calories accurately, exercised religiously, stayed focused.

Rode a bicycle, lifted weights, walked/jogged, did situps and pushups. Kettlebells was the only investment - It is now my lifestyle, with a lapse once in a while, but maintaining for a long while now.

Problem for most is: it just isn't going to happen until a little switch in your head is flipped and you commit 100%. No excuses week to week, the world we live in allows enough options that holidays, parties, work, vacations, and ignorant enabling family/friends can all be dealt with and gotten through without busting the calorie goal.

Why do you want to lose? To look better? Then put a mirror on the door of the fridge. Fit into new clothes? Put the picture there instead, or better yet - hang the real thing in the middle of the room where you can't avoid it. To feel better? Keep a journal. The first three weeks of entries will be sad and self loathing - but log your weekly successes. As the weeks go by and the list gets longer the motivation climbs and all of a sudden you look in the mirror and that second chin is gone, and some muscle tone starts to show.

This will sound the worst, but oh well: Take a break from political correctness. Look around and see the numbers of obese all around you. Let it disgust you, tell yourself that isn't going to be me anymore. Be arrogant and selfish in your mind. By the time I got where I wanted to be, I had much more compassion for those that were trying than I ever had before, but much less for those that think the world needs to accommodate them.

Took years to get there, will take time get back -

I'd write more, but I've said it all 20 times over the past year on this board - seen a few winners, but too many excuse makers-I don't have the patience or the time to cheer lead that type anymore. Look up my past posts, 90% aren't about cruising, it's about this - but cruising and enjoying it with my wife was my switch-flipper. Go find yours.

Since my original video got taken down, here is the before and after of my weight loss using a certain 90 day X-treme fitness that I purchased from a television infomercial

What the hell? Why did my post get removed? Effers.

That is so true. If you have a fitness plan and practice it faithfully if you're not eating right you're fighting a losing battle. That's what I'm trying to get together....

That's the problem I've always made. I'd exercise but really change very little about what i was intaking.

Big mistake.

beforeandafter.jpg

This is my wife and I with one year between cruises. Between us we lost over 200lbs via weight loss surgery and have cruised 4 times since.

Wow, glad to see the weight loss surgery has helped you both to change your lives. Just remember, it is a change for forever.

I'm saying this because i've watched my best friend sabotage herself. First she had lapband, sabotaged herself the entire time so she didn't lose much.

Next she had gastric. She has lost 100lbs, but if she were really working on it with diet/exercise as she should be, she'd be closer to her goat by now.

Just always remember, weight loss surgery is a tool, just like an exercise bike, but you have to keep that mental and emotional state in the game.

Amazing photos and stories. I am not very good with the computer and don't know how to upload pix.

I am a 62 year old woman who has almost always had weight problems. I got up to well over 225 and the loss of mobility and breath decided me enough was enough.

I know I don't do well on "diets" so I decided to change my lifestyle. I did pretty much cut carbs down to 25 per day but other than that not much.

I started swimming for an hour 3 x a week with a friend. That is pretty much it for exercise.

Since April 1st I have lost 55 pounds. I was in a size 26 and I am now in a size 18. It's the first time in years I've bought clothing that isn't in the plus size section!

I hope to lose at least another 25 before my cruise in October but will happy if I just maintain for awile before losing more.

Thanks to you all for your inspiration.

This will sound the worst, but oh well: Take a break from political correctness. Look around and see the numbers of obese all around you. Let it disgust you, tell yourself that isn't going to be me anymore. Be arrogant and selfish in your mind. By the time I got where I wanted to be, I had much more compassion for those that were trying than I ever had before, but much less for those that think the world needs to accommodate them.

You touched upon an interesting point. My Dad always use to say "Knowing and Doing...two very different things" People know what to do to get fit, but they often don't do it. If you want to know the best nutrition and exercise advice, ask a fat person. They have researched the topic intensely. What gets us from knowing to doing? It's EMOTION! Disgust is the biggest motivator to get us off the couch and WANT to get fit. Fear, anger jealousy are other emotions that drive us to action. I have even seen divorced women use revenge as a motivator. "I'll get so sexy and drive my ex nuts to see what he left" We need to do some soul searching, we need to pull out photos of ourselves that just disgust us. We need to take a long honest look in the mirror, and peel back the scab to uncover that wound. That will get us from knowing to doing.

called Optifast thru a local hospital (wife and I).

We've been on it since end of February and have lost 69 (me) and 63 pounds. I'm on target to lose an additional 31 pounds before our next cruise, in December. Wife plans to continue as well. We're mid 60s and will certainly enjoy our upcoming retirement much more being in better shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have read these threads but never contributed because I just thought that my situation was different from others who have lost weight. Of course, I finally realized that everyone is different. I am a 6'2" 60 year old man. I started 17 years ago losing weight because I was at 240. I went to 210 on Jenny Craig. That was fine when I was in my 40's. I fluctuated between 210 and 230 for a few years. I retired to a mountain cabin where I have to split firewood for winter fuel. I went on another diet to accommodate my lifestyle of hard work. In the last year I have gone from 210 to 188. I now weigh what I did when I graduated from college 36 years ago. Some people say that yo-yo dieting just doesn't work, but I believe that I will stay below 190 from now on. My joints just can't carry the extra weight any more. I sure feel good at this weight. Constant awareness of my weight eventually won out. 17 years is a long time, but don't give up hope. Keep working at it. It could happen!! Good luck to all of you and thank you for your inspiration. Next cruise is 9/22/2012. Needed another new wardrobe -- good problem. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy

Archived