Charlottetown

Hi! What's in the direct vicinity of the port in Charlottetown? Can you walk to where the main shopping is? I have an excursion booked in the morning to the Anne of Green Gables house & museum, but when getting back, I'd like to spend some time walking around and shopping (specifically for Anne of Green Gables merchandise, cause I've heard there's more in town than the gift shop at the house). Is that doable where the ship docks, or do you need to take a taxi somewhere? Thanks!

The dock is right downtown. I do not know Charlottetown well, but was there a couple years ago and saw a cruise ship looming up like a tall building right in the downtown area. You are only a few blocks from all the action. I did a search on Google maps and A marks the spot where you should dock.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=cruise+ship+dock&sll=46.238277,-63.131218&sspn=0.030098,0.084543&near=Charlottetown,+PE&geocode=CbUCGdjnEt6oFSCKwQIdQrI8_CnFg3_U3VJeSzEnm1GfuHdXWg&hq=cruise+ship+dock&t=m&z=15

That is exactly right!! Having grown up on the Island (having returend to live there for a few yrs recently) I can confirm that the pier is located in the downtown core. There is plenty of shopping / eating very near the pier. Have fun at Anne's house! I think I'm one of few Islanders who isn't sick of Anne -- I LOVE her!!!! (If you get a chance, check out the Emily books as well. I think they are even better than the Anne series!!)

Thank you both so much! Very helpful to know I can do some more shopping right near the pier and not worry about taxis.

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables! I booked a Canadian cruise solely for the purpose of visiting PEI. Been wanting to go there since I was ten and first discovered the series. Can't wait!

Thank you both so much! Very helpful to know I can do some more shopping right near the pier and not worry about taxis.

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables! I booked a Canadian cruise solely for the purpose of visiting PEI. Been wanting to go there since I was ten and first discovered the series. Can't wait!

Reread the first book before you go. I did that. I loved Anne when I was a girl, but let's be honest, she is a drama queen. I was afraid that she would annoy me now. But she's just as wonderful for me now as she was when I was a girl. The house has lots of little Anne trivia. Look for the bottle of raspberry cordial on the shelf. That's one my favorite Anne escapades.

I thought the gift shop at the house was very good. I didn't see one in town, but my time in town was limited. One other souvenir to look for is a PEI "dirt shirt." The shirts are dyed with the red PEI soil. Make sure it's from the 'dirt shirt' store, as there are knockoffs made with ordinary dyes.

The last time we were in Charlottetown, I took the Island tour that included the visit to the Anne of Green Gables site. I loved every minute of both the excursion and the tour of the Green Gables home.....it was well worth the money.

My husband went to the government building and found it very interesting as it was in Charlottetown that Confederation took place.

Later we walked around the town and enjoyed the Autumn colours.

Can't wait to go back this October.

Happy Sailing,

Carol Ann

I loved just walking around there. It is a charming town, and so clean! If you are a chocolate lover, go into Anne of Green Gables Chocolates. They give out free samples of their chocolate covered potato chips. Delicious! I had to get several things to bring home! Make sure to bring a warm sweater, or fleece when you go. I did the cruise in mid-Oct a couple of years ago, and it was quite chilly!

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the info!!! I'd LOVE to see the musical, but it looks like it stops at the end of September, and my cruise is in October. Oh well!

Hi Seluased,

In case you wish to return, or have friends or family coming to Charlottetown, it was announced this week that the musical "Anne and Gilbert" is being staged in 2013. It picks up where "Anne of Green Gables - The Musical" leaves off.

It is being staged at "The Guild", a playhouse across the street from Confederation Centre. It has a professional cast and has enjoyed a run of several years in rural towns, and is moving to the city this year.

Oh, and the thing that caught my eye in your message: the play will have a matinee every day a cruise ship is visiting Charlottetown - from May right up through October!

I am not associated with the theatre.

Myot

Charlottetown

Myot, Thank you so much for mentioning the new musical, Anne & Gilbert. I was really disappointed that we wouldn't be able to see "Anne" as our cruise is there in June. I checked out the site and the new musical starts June 18 at 1 p.m. It is a 3 hour show so we'll be out at 4 and our ship leaves at 5 - perfect timing. I secured 2 tickets for us. The theater only holds 100 people.

We will also be in Charlottetown on June 12 as we are doing a 14 day round trip. My husband and I dearly love Canada and thought we would enjoy 2 days in each port. I have rented a car for June 12 - any suggestions on a route or special things to see. We have been to the island 2 times - once in our RV and once on a cruise. When we're there on the 18th we'll walk the town and take the Hop ON/Off bus if they have one. Just wondering about other places to see on the island. We have been to Anne of Green Gables. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Maryann, Thanks for the map. I just printed it off. You are a wealth of iinformation for your beautiful country. I am using a lot of your suggestions on our 14 day - June 8 cruise. I have rented cars both days we are in Sydney from Enterprise. Hopefully we don't have too much delay. I'm sorry the Fortress won't be completely open but we'll enjoy it anyway - we did last time we were there. On the other day we will do as much of the Cabot Trail as we can as we did it all when we went in our RV. Halifax - one day we will just walk and see all the town has to offer. The other day we will have the rental car to go to Lunenburg - loved it last time. There was a little town we went through that had scarecrows dressed as famous people - this was in October. Do you know what town I'm talking about? Would love to go back there. We are going to skip Peggy's Cove - did it last time and the crowds and traffic were a bit too much. We will enjoy Quebec on our own - lovely town and they have nice tours from downtown that go out to the Falls. My question to you is what do we do in Montreal from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.? I'm not finding many tours listed. Quess we can take the ships's 2 1/2 hour tour to the mountain and Notre Dame and then get them to let us off downtown as I do want to shop the underground shopping mall. Is there anything else we should see in Montreal? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us.

Oh dear, your Montreal question will not be seen by many as this thread is titled Charlottetown.

I lived in Montreal years ago, but have not spent time there recently. Your plan sounds good. Have you visited old Montreal? St. Joseph's Oratory.

I think the town in NS with the scarecrows is beautiful Mahone Bay. It is a few minutes drive from Lunenburg towards Halifax. I think your plan is great.

Hi Annanaguide,

Thanks for the message.

Some of the things you could do, away from "Anne": I will let you follow these sites on your own:

Wood Islands (local museum in a working lighthouse, includes a display on rum-running

Belfast MiniMills

Sorry for the problems, I am accidentally submitting posts before they are finished.

Some ideas for self-drive away from "Anne"

Wood Islands Lighthouse a local museum in a working lighthouse with a display on rum-running, NS -PEI ferry terminal (45 minutes from Charlottetown) http://www.woodislandslighthouse.com

Belfast MiniMills, close to Wood Islands much more interesting to most than you might expect - husbands and wives both appreciate this fibre manufactory http://www.minimills.net

Rossignol Winery - ten minutes of less from Wood Islands http://www.rossignolwinery.com

Artisans on Main Montague (30 min) http://www.facebook.com/ArtisansOnMainShare

Georgetown (gardens, playhouse, Shoreline Design (sea glass artisan) http://www.shorelinedesignpei.com

Singing Sands Beach Bothwell 75 min http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-singing-sands-beach

Greenwich Beach http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/pe/pei-ipe/natcul/natcul3.aspx

All the above are east of Charlottetown

The Dunes (shopping) http://www.dunesgallery.com (15 min)

Cheese Lady (farmhouse gouda) and other PEI flavours (20 Min) http://peiflavours.ca/index.php/flavours-trail/type/category/Authentic-PEI-Products

Confederation Bridge 45 min http://www.confederationbridge.com superb engineering technology

silver fox museum (and others) http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g155024-d2234515-r120906487-International_Fox_Museum_and_Hall_of_Fame-Summerside_Prince_Edward_Island.html

This should carry you through a few snowy days planning..!

• 2 weeks later...

From one Anne Fan to another...you are going to love it ! It was an easy beautiful drive for us from the port to Green Gables. If you can remotely do a rental car I would highly recommend it because you can take your time and stop by Cavendish Beach!

Get some Raspberry Cordial and pose in the gift shop (at Gables) with the hat and pigtails. I'm sure it is a terribly boring port for those who haven't read the books but I enjoyed it all. If you want I can put in a link to an online photo album I created with our pics.

I know I'm a little late to the party but Charlottetown shopping is definitely close to the dock. Below is a picture I took from our ship when we were there last October. The church may look far away but it wasn't.

pei-mom%20057-M.jpg

Besides the Princess ship I was on being in Port, there were two other cruise ships tendered (the line of people for one of the tender boats).

• 2 weeks later...
From one Anne Fan to another...you are going to love it ! It was an easy beautiful drive for us from the port to Green Gables. If you can remotely do a rental car I would highly recommend it because you can take your time and stop by Cavendish Beach!

Get some Raspberry Cordial and pose in the gift shop (at Gables) with the hat and pigtails. I'm sure it is a terribly boring port for those who haven't read the books but I enjoyed it all. If you want I can put in a link to an online photo album I created with our pics.

I'm enjoying all the PEI tips! Our daughters were huge Anne fans, and we were all delighted and excited beyond words to discover that Lucy Maud Montgomery is actually a fairly close ancestor of mine! (I'm adopted and have only recently had access to the family genealogy.) We've not been to PEI before and are eagerly anticipating our June 1 cruise on the Maasdam from Montreal.

I think we'll rent a car and do our own "Anne" thing; it would also be fun to see "Anne and Gilbert" if it's on while we're there. Cannot wait!

in Charlottetown? We are also going on cruise tour(to coastal scenic area and bridge etc) just to get a feel for PEI and will have a few hrs.on own to see city.Can walk to many areas,but want overview of some sort.:confused:

I didn't see a HOHO bus but did see horse drawn tours. Here's a photo:

pei-mom%20045-M.jpg

I know I'm a little late to the party but Charlottetown shopping is definitely close to the dock. Below is a picture I took from our ship when we were there last October. The church may look far away but it wasn't.

pei-mom%20057-M.jpg

Besides the Princess ship I was on being in Port, there were two other cruise ships tendered (the line of people for one of the tender boats).

I love this picture. One that I can never get from my vantage point when I am standing on confederation landing taking pictures of the cruise ships.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Archived