Taking kids out of school ?

SportsMomof4

Off-topic, but does all this make-up work apply when the child's been off sick? Because it seems a bit hard if someone's had a wearying illness for a week or so, that as soon as they get back they've gotto work twice as hard to catch up - and if it's something debilitating like glandular fever, it would just make them ill again.

It can be very difficult. One of mine missed a little over a week of school a couple of weeks back. The teachers would gather her work daily and I picked it up every day or two and took back what she had completed. She just couldn't do some of it, because of pain and meds and what not. One of the teachers made her take an exam with the class the day she came back, even though she hadn't completed all the make-up work, because that teacher was a horse's behind and thought my DD should have been able to catch up. Yet the same teacher didn't make one of the athletes take it that day because he had missed two days of class due to athletics and was behind. The rest of her teachers gave her another week after her return (she missed 9 days) but the still had to turn in the work they were doing in class while she was there on time.

So it is often teacher by teacher. Luckily, I'm certified in math and history and she is a high achieving young lady.

Just because they are your kids and you CAN take them out doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Do you go against your dentist's advice when he says your kids should brush twice a day and floss because you CAN?

Do you go against the pediatrician's advice when she says to give your child medication because you CAN?

Yet people think nothing of going against the advice of their kids' teachers all the time, because they can.

Yes, many kids benefit from educational travel, IF the parents are responsible. And that's the issue. Irresponsible parents cannot differentiate between "can" and "should."

I have never had any of my kids teacher advise us not to go...many even encouraged us.

I find it funny people say: they're my kids and you can't tell me what to do....BUT when the kid starts to fail its everyone else's fault but the parents and the student.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I've never had to blame anyone since my kids haven't failed. I do like to tell others of their achievements as proof that the vacations have not harmed their eduational achievements...but that seems to get some posters up in arms :rolleyes:.

I posted this before but I'll type it again. In college my friend failed a class because age missed a test due to a cruise.

Professor knew and never said anything about it till later.

Professors don't care what your plans are. They don't care the excuse and believe me going on a vacation annoys them. Professors do not have to accommodate you at all. College is a different playing field.

Your child could be told there is a test the week he would be gone and the professor does not have to let him take it early.

Yes most professors are nice and done don't care....but you never know when you might get that one who shrugs and gives you a big fat F.

Way back when I was a college freshman, I missed an English exam because of my grandfather's funeral (same day and time). The professor was young and had a strict no make up rule so he gave me a failing grade. No amount of begging pleading etc. was making a difference. Finally my father (not a helicopter parent -- probably wasn't even helicopters then:p) quietly went to see the school President. My Grandfather was on the school's Board of Directors when he died and I sat next to the President of the school at my grandfather's funeral. Sometimes the family does get to make the decisions. The prof got a little explanation of how kindness and Christian charity were valued.

Well my DH was a chemistry professor for 34 years and his standard was first grandparent death of the year OK. More than 4 you probably won't like the grade. :p

For your cruise, it is only one kid how bad can it be? For a teacher who has upwards from 150 kids in 5-6 classes, it is a big problem. You want your teachers to care about your students and their learning but you don't want them to care if you want to do what you want to do. Dirty little secret -- when you need a favor (and that is what it is) you want to demand not ask and then dare the teacher/school to say that there will be a negative effect on the instructional progress of the child.

When children in our district are out for major illness or surgery, they are officially transferred to the medical teaching unit and have a home school teacher assigned. Don't move to VA. The court system there dragged parents into COURT when excess lateness and absence. Parents charged with neglect of minor. Be careful who you brag to about cruising during the school year. Laws about truancy are on the books in every state. :eek:

SportsMomof4:

We took our children out when they were younger, but at Middle and High School age, it is a risk for many reasons. Not only are the academics risky if they fall behind. How will the children be judged by the other kids, who think they're stuck up because their family could afford to do that and theirs is struggling? If you're in a school that everyone leaves for travels, no problem. Our older children were not able to speak about their wonderful experiences for fear of being ostracized by their peers. On every trip we took make-up work (if available from teachers) and made sure history and culture was a part of every port. We often looked for churches to visit in poor neighborhoods. The kids learned history through travel and learned so much about poverty and how to help people. Cruise lines have opportunities to bring things to help children in poorer ports, it can be a great learning experience for young people.

When children in our district are out for major illness or surgery, they are officially transferred to the medical teaching unit and have a home school teacher assigned. Don't move to VA. The court system there dragged parents into COURT when excess lateness and absence. Parents charged with neglect of minor. Be careful who you brag to about cruising during the school year. Laws about truancy are on the books in every state. :eek:

A bit of exaggeration!

I live in the county where that particular case took place ... and it was just about the only time such a case has occured in the entire state, which is why such a big deal was made of it ... it was the school system that dragged the parents into court, for almost daily tardiness, and it was immediately dismissed by the court, as much ado about nothing!

It is ultimately up to parents to decide whether or not to take their children out of school for whatever reason, and then deal with whatever consequences come from it.

I've never had to blame anyone since my kids haven't failed. I do like to tell others of their achievements as proof that the vacations have not harmed their eduational achievements...but that seems to get some posters up in arms :rolleyes:.

Mine was in general. I can't say any parent has done that in here. I'm sure people have seen examples of what u mentioned.

Again not saying anyone here is like that. Just a general statement.

I can't quite multi messages but to the person who quoted me about my friend. The death of a close family member is a different scenario. I was talking about cruises or vacations. :)

I took my kids out of school once, on a Monday following Thanksgiving, as we didn't return home until late morning. They both got a lot of grief from teachers (one in high school, one in middle school) and asked me to never do it again.

I always thought schools were funded by attendance. Unauthorized absence and the school loses money???

I always thought schools were funded by attendance. Unauthorized absence and the school loses money???

That's correct.

Correct for public schools, yes. But not all schools. Not our school. Our school is funded by the tuition we parents pay. And the school gets the same amount of money whether our kids are absent or not.

I'm so glad my kids are in the public school district that we are. It's top-rated with high parental involvement and every teacher I have met has been highly in favor of us taking our children out of school at the elementary and middle school level for travel opportunities. Maybe they would feel differently about children who were struggling with class work, but they recognize that it's not going to hurt my kids and travel is always beneficial for children. It's very different for high school and beyond because of the level and speed of course work.

Archived