Where is cruise terminal for L.A.

mimicsr

We are considering a Panama Canal Cruise on NCL in April that ends in L.A. Is the port in Long Beach or San Pedro? Then we want to rent a car and drive down to San Diego to see relatives and fly home out of San Diego back to Florida. Is this doable?? I can't even find San Pedro on my CA. map, just Long Beach. Where the heck is it!! And are there car rental agencies near the port?

Carnival ships use Long Beach, where the facility is operated by them. All others use the docks at San Pedro, aka "LA World Cruiseport".

I'm not sure why you're unable to find SP...a google search of "San Pedro, CA" brings up all sorts of links and a map.

From SP the best recommendation to get to San Diego is rent a car. There is an Enterprise office in SP, a Hertz in nearby Lomita, and several in downtown Long Beach. However all of them have limited hours or are closed weekends. You may have to get a taxi or shuttle to LAX or LGB (Long Beach Airport) and rent there. Drive time is about 2 hours straight through, but I recommend taking your time to sightsee. There are many suggestions of things to see and do enroute on the Tripadvisor forums for LA, Orange County, and SD.

The next best option is Amtrak...you can buy tickets from SP to SD; the first leg is an Amtrak-operated bus service that takes you to LA Union Station to connect to the train. Total trip time is 4-5 hours depending on the connection in LA. It's a bit of doubling back; you go straight north to LA Union Station, then southeast to SD.

Hope this helps!

It's very rare that a non-Carnival ship would use the Port of Long Beach as there's only one berth there. So it's probably 95 per cent that your ship will be using the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro). It's also known as The World Cruise Center.

Here's the cruise calendar for that port for April 2013:

http://www.pcsterminals.com/CruiseCalendar.aspx

Archived