Stockholme - Private Guide or DIY? How Many Days Pre-Cruise?

We visited Stockholm for one day by cruise ship a few years ago. It was not necessary for the one day of sightseeing to have a private guide since all of the sights we were visiting were either very walkable or doable with the aid of a taxi. This time, our cruise begins in Stockholm, and we are planning to spend some time there pre-cruise. I have a few questions in starting my research:

1) We generally prefer to experience ports either with a private guide where necessary or on our own. Is Stockholm a city that we can easily see on our own, or are there certain sights that would best be served with a private guide? If we go the private guide option, which sights should we plan to visit with the guide? I don't expect that we need a guide the entire time we are in Stockholm (like we do in St. Petersburg, for example), so I'd like to know which sights I should plan with a guide if we have a private guide for a day or two and spend the rest of our time on our own.

2) If you recommend the private guide over the DIY option, can you recommend a good private guide?

2) How many days pre-cruise should I plan in Stockholm to really see the city properly?

3) In the event that we are sightseeing without a guide, are taxis readily available?

4) Are there any particular areas or sights outside of Stockholm that we should visit? Arrange for either a private guide or just a private driver to get us there?

Thanks,

Shelley

you can easily do it on your own in most cases. But obviously it depends on what you want to do.

Most people speak English and many are very good at English, so that should not be a problem.

1. IMO you won't need a guide at all for central Stockholm. Exception se reply for "4."

2b. Hard to say it depends on who you are and what your interests are.

What type of things do you want to see or do? But say 3-4 days.

3. Yeah shouldn't be a problem. Use Taxi Kurir or Taxi Stockholm

4. The obvious answer would be the archipelago. But it also depends how much of it you want to see.

You will only see a small part during the sail out and sail in.

Its accessible by passenger boats in combination with commuter trains, subway and buses.

A guide might be need though.

Waxholmsbolaget provides the boats and SL provides subway, commuter trains and buses.

I believe Möja is a very nice island to visit.

Otherwise a few suggestions in this post. Nothing must see but perhaps a nice day in the country side.

Hello again, Shelley. As we recently returned from the same itinerary as yours, maybe these additional comments on Stockholm will help.

On the general questions, it's pretty much what we said re Copenhagen, except that Stockholm is even more walkable. You emphatically do not need a guide, and a driver would an impediment. In our entire 5-1/2 days there, we did not once use any motorized form of land transportation (except taxis from the airport and to the cruise ship, of course). By planning our sightseeing schedule carefully, we were able to use the hop-on-hop-off boats like water taxis (100 SEK for a 24-hour pass, which covered an afternoon and the following morning). And the previous poster from Sweden is too modest. Seemingly everyone in Stockholm speaks excellent English, and many speak it better than a lot of us Americans.

Additional comments on your specific questions:

2 (2d): We spend 5-1/2 days in Stockholm and are very glad we did. We really liked the city, a lot better than we expected to. One afternoon and evening was a steamboat trip to Drottningholm Palace on Lake Malaren, and another day we spent on another steamboat trip through the close-in islands to Gustavsberg. See below for descriptions of both trips.

You didn't specifically ask about sights to see in Stockholm proper, but we strongly recommend the Medeltids (Middle Ages) Museum under the bridge in front of the Parliament building between Gamla Stan ande Ostermalm. It's one of the finest "city" museums we've seen, on a par with the Museum of London although of course much, much smaller. It beautifully shows and explains the history of the city from its founding, including a walk-through reproduction of a medieval street. Highly recommended.

3. Other reputable taxi companies are 020 and a couple of others named on several previous threads on this board. Search for "taxi companies" and you'll have the full story.

4. No need for any guide or driver outside the city either. Stockholm is a totally water-oriented city. The most popular site outside town is Drottningholm Palace. You can get there by road, but who would want to? It's only an hour via steamboat from the heart of the city (by the Stadhuset, or City Hall). Besides the Palace itself, and the expansive grounds (and the Chinese Pavilion), the most distinctive feature there is the Theatre, an 18th century opera house that was mothballed for 150 years by the successor (not an opera fan) of the King who built it. The theatre just sat there, forgotten, and reopened only in the 1920's I think. The original seats, sets, and stage machinery are all intact. If your trip isn't until next summer you can even see a baroque or Mozart-era opera performance there, but the 2012 season is just about over now.

We also enjoyed our day trip to Gustavsberg, not for the destination but for the trip itself via classic steamboat. The route out and back is through narrow channels threading among pretty little islands with lovely gingerbread summer homes. There is a serious porcelain museum in Gustavsberg, which used to be the porcelain capital of Sweden. Also outlet shops for Orrefors and for Villeroy & Boch. You decide.

As to "the archipelago" mentioned by the previous poster, it's beautiful, but remember that your cruise ship will be going out through the archipelago, and in summertime it will be broad daylight until 10 pm or later. Our impression is that there's really nothing to "see" on the islands themselves except one or two quaint but basic villages. Swedes and others go there for the quiet and wildness of a "natural" environment.

You'll have a great trip.

Wow! Once again, my friends on CC never let me down. You are better than any guide book on the market!

Hoftraveler -- Did you purchase your steamboat tickets online prior to your trip, or did you purchase them in Stockholm? What is the name of the company or their website?

As for particular sights within Stockholm, I'm planning on the "usual" - Vasa Museum, Royal Palace and Changing of the Guards, and of course, losing ourselves on the winding roads of Old Town. However, we have been to Stockholm once before for a day on a cruise, and I'm definitely interested in seeing new places. The two places that really standing out in my memory are the Vasa Museum and the Ice Bar (that was really fun, but once you've done it, the thrill is gone, plus there are so many "copies" out there now - the one at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas is only an hour plane flight away from home!) I'm considering visiting Skansen and the Drottingham Castle. I've read very favorable reviews of the Castle (including Hoftraveler's). What do you think of Skansen? From what I read, it seems like it is an experience similar to visiting Williamsburg just outside of Washington, DC. Is that accurate? Is it a "must see?" What other "must sees" can you recommend in addition to those I have mentioned?

Thanks so much for the replies!

Shelley

Shelley, you are too kind.

The steamboat company is Stromma, www.stromma.se. No need to buy tickets in advance (if it's even possible), just walk up to the ticket booth at the pier when you're ready to go. Note that different boat routes leave from different piers, although they're all within a couple of blocks of each other. I should also have mentioned the steamboats themselves, 100 years old or close to it, with beautiful mahogany interiors. Quite elegant (not noisy or smelly either).

We never did get to Skansen, close as it is to the Vasa. The weather that day wasn't great, we had the impression it's large, and we just didn't feel like tramping around for the whole afternoon. Our impression too is that it's the Williamsburg concept, except that unlike a single time and place it portrays a whole panoply of Swedish places and eras.

Note to Californians: Williamsburg is not "just outside Washington, DC" except possibly by Far West standards. It's 3 hours' drive away, not to mention being in a part of Virginia that in some ways could be on another planet.

Another interesting museum where you could spend hours is the very large Nordiska (Nordic) Museet, almost adjacent to the Vasa. Most of the exhibits are old-style-museum, but even so, they're very educational, covering every aspect of Swedish life over the centuries. We found the exhibits on the Sami people of the far North/Arctic region especially interesting (and somewhat more contemporary in curating style).

Let me close with a word on Stockholm hotels. As location is everything here as well as in Copenhagen, we decided to stay in Gamla Stan, which is central for everything in town you might want to see. There is a locally owned group of three boutique hotels in Gamla Stan. We stayed in an apartment in a building operated as an adjunct to one of the hotels, the Hotel Victory. We couldn't have been more pleased. The website for the hotel group is www.collectorshotels.se. (The website is funkier than the hotels, which really are quite nice if the Victory is any indication.)

Thanks again, Hoftraveler! You must be reading my mind - yes, once I figure out exactly how many days to spend pre-cruise in Stockholm, then I will be looking to make hotel reservations. The hotels that you mention - would you consider them luxury? I really like a deluxe first class hotel (Four Seasons is usually my favorite - a destination in itself), although my husband thinks I'm a little crazy that way since all we do is sleep there and never take full advantage of the hotel because we're always out sightseeing. Nonetheless, when I'm on vacation, I like to be in luxury. I do love a wonderful boutique hotel. How would you describe these hotels? Also, do you know anything about the Grand Hotel? I don't think it's in Gamla Stan, but not too far, and I've come across it in my guidebooks. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Shelley

P.S. Your description of Williamsburg's location on the map made me laugh. You're right - it is a 3-hour car trip, but when you're coming off a 5-6 hour plane flight from across the country, only 3 hours by car feels much more near than far. We loved Williamsburg - took our daughters when they were in elementary school (now they're in their 20s!), and it was as much a fun education for us as it was for them. If anyone else out there reading these boards has visited Skansen, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

As we stayed in one of the hotel's adjunct apartments, I've never seen the regular rooms. But I doubt one could call them "luxury" a la Four Seasons. As Gamla Stan is a protected historic area with few modern buildings, the hotels are like those in the old quarters of other similar European cities -- in small older buildings renovated on the inside(sometimes a couple of them combined together behind the facade). But if you want to stay in the heart of the historic area, that's what you get.

The Grand Hotel is very grand indeed, at least from the outside and in the public areas (and I believe very expensive even for Stockholm, which perversely seems to pride itself as being the most expensive city in Europe). And it's right across a waterway from Gamla Stan, in fact with a view of Gamla Stan across the water, so the location certainly would meet our criteria for convenience. By the way, the Grand's smorgasbord lunch buffet reputedly is one of the best in the city, and we found it outstanding. Never knew there were so many ways to smoke salmon, or to prepare herring.

For our part, if the choice is between a small tastefully done boutique hotel in the heart of the historic area, and a large luxury hotel that could be anywhere, we always go for the historic area. There's nothing like stepping out the door and feeling like you've stepped back in time. But the Grand might be a good compromise, just a block or two along the water from the Opera House, with the National (Art) Museum a block or two along the water in the other direction. Caution: The waterside walkway in front of the Grand currently is torn up and barricaded for reconstruction of the walkway and canal tour boat piers, so the view is less attractive than it probably was or will be.

Hope this helps.

Also, do you know anything about the Grand Hotel? I don't think it's in Gamla Stan, but not too far, and I've come across it in my guidebooks. Your thoughts?

Correct that Grand Hotel is not in Gamla Stan. Its located at Blasieholmen.

Which is a very short walk from Gamla Stan.

I think its the only(?) 5 star hotel in Stockholm.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=59.329722,18.075556&ll=59.328571,18.076801&spn=0.014339,0.05918&t=k&z=15

Other things to visit when in Stockholm.

When you are Djurgården you could also make a visit to Waldermarsudde.

The museum of wine and spirits (located next to Wasa).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djurg%C3%A5rden#Sights_and_monuments

Another museum worth to visit is the Historiska museet at Narvavägen.

It is not far to walk there from Wasa.

Perhaps a walk around Södermalm could be appealing?

Its is in general a more genuine part of the city with less mass tourism.

The Stockholm City Museum is also located there.

And i still would like to claim that Möja is worth a visit. ;)

however most of the steam boats are nowadays diesel powered

but i don't think anyone can notice. ;)

It definitely helps. Thank you. I will look into both as we enjoy a fine boutique hotel just as much as the larger hotels, probably more when we are in Europe. When I mentioned the Four Seasons, it was to explain the quality of service that we like, which often is just as prevalent at the small boutique hotels - sometimes moreso because it is so much easier for the staff to cater to a small group of guests. I definitely have my homework cut out for me - but first, I must get back to figuring out the exact number of days we will need. Thanks again, Hoftraveler!

Shelley

There is already a lot of excellent advice here so I will just try to add a few things.

There is no reason at all get a guide for Stockholm. But what may be nice is to take a guided walking tour. If you were to be in Stockholm tomorrow there is a tour in English focusing on the places mentioned in Stieg Larsson’s Millenium books. So my advice is ask when you arrive at your hotel if there are any tours in English while you are here. These tours can be very interesting and are likely to take you to streets you wouldn’t visit on your own.

Most visitors to Stockholm will all crowd together in a rather limited area around Gamla Stan and the Vasa Museum. To me who live in Stockholm this area is an amazing sight at the peak of the tourist season, so totally different from the city I know. Everybody dressed for holiday and equipped with cameras and a map. So there could be an advantage to see something else.

Södermalm, the area south of Gamla Stan has already been mentioned and I agree. It used to be the poor part of the city and it is not as elegant as Östermalm northeast of Gamla Stan. But it is now a lively residential part, where many artists, writers, people working in fashion, advertising and IT like to live, while the establishment tends to live in Östermalm. There is a nice hotel, Rival, in a pleasant square a short walk from Gamla Stan. The hotel is owned by ABBA member Benny Andersson. Södermalm has many bars, pubs, restaurants and many small shops. In Östermalm it could be nice to visit the food market at Östermalmshallen. There are several good lunch places there, and it is not far from Gamla Stan.

Taking a boat tour to Drottningholm Palace has already been mentioned and it is a nice thing to do. But I don’t agree with the idea of spending a day in the archipelago. It is a wonderful place, I love it and have spent all summers in my life there and never want to travel during summer. But you will see it as your ship leaves Stockholm, the passage through the archipelago takes several hours. It is a place where we have our summer homes, so unless you are invited to visit someone there is not much to do except just walk around. There may be places where you could have lunch, but usually expensive and not value for the money.

A different thing could be to rent a car for one day and drive north to Sigtuna , a small city not far from Arlanda airport. It is actually Sweden’s oldest city and well worth a visit. If you know St Augustine in Florida, this is sort of similar, but of course older. Close to Sigtuna there is a royal palace named Rosersberg that you could also visit. And if you drive a little further beyond Sigtuna there is a really great palace named Skokloster . Having a car for one day would also give you the opportunity to see something of the countryside around Stockholm. I am sure you can Google the plalces to find out more about them

I would also like to recommend Skansen outdoor museum. A nice place if the weather is good. Not so much for the animals they have there but for the buildings that has been moved there from different parts of the country. In the summer many of the buildings will have someone inside dressed as the inhabitants would have been, and who will tell you what life would have been like for the people who once lived there. But it is a big place so it is a good idea to have a look at their internet information to see what you may be interested in. And to check the calendar what special things will be going on the days you will be here.

As for hotels there is a hotel in Gamla Stan named Reisen. It is right at the waterfront and has been mentioned now and then on this board. Of course I have never stayed in any hotel in Stockholm so I have no personal experience. There is also a new hotel in Norrmalmstorg, short walk north from Gamla Stan. The name is Nobis Hotel and has been mentioned as a boutique hotel.

I started writing my post earlier today but didn't have time to finish it till I got home now in the evening. So I see now that info on the Millenium walking tour has been posted while I was out. But it is not the only tour that can be taken in English, there are tours focusing on other, perhaps more interesting subjects as well.

Thank you for this incredible information.

Ultima Thule - Thank you for the videos. I found them posted (by you perhaps) in another thread. I watched them yesterday and found them to be such a valuable source of information. I even bookmarked tourvideos.com to view videos when I'm planning other ports in the future.

North-bound - Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I have a few questions:

Skansen - We are planning to visit Skansen. How many hours should we plan there? I agree that we will not concentrate on the animals but rather spend our time visiting the houses and "businesses." Is there anything else at Skansen that you would consider a "don't miss?" Can we visit the Vasa Museum in the morning and Skansen in the afternoon? I plan to arrive at the Vasa Museum when they open at 8:30 a.m., and spend 2-3 hours there, arriving at Skansen about 11:30 a.m., and exploring Skansen until 4:30 or 5:00-ish. Will that work? Am I allowing enough time at Skansen? Am I allowing too much time? Am I allowing the correct amount of time at Vasa? We've been to Stockholm once before and visited the Vasa Museum, but I can't recall exactly how much time we needed. If I'm allowing too much time at either the Vasa Museum or Skansen, please advise what would be a good sight or activity to add to complete the day.

Sodermalm - Thank you for the suggestion for the Millenium walking tour. Although we've read the books, I'm not sure that that is the tour for us. Are there other walking tours for that area, or are we just as well if we just wander on our own? How much time would you suggest we allow?

Driving in Sweden - Since we are cruising New Zealand and Australia in the near future and we are renting a car in some of the ports, I must ask my next question. In NZ and Australia, they drive on the opposite side of the road from what we do in the USA - just like in Great Britain. How do you drive in Stockholm? Like the Brits, Kiwis and Aussies, or like the Americans? My husband is willing to try it in NZ and Australia, but if he finds it to be difficult, then I know I will never be able to convince him to rent a car in Sweden if it means driving on the "other" side of the road. I've seen pictures of the countryside outside of Stockholm, and it's truly magical. I would love to see it in "real time." Please advise me of your driving styles in Sweden.

Thanks,

Shelley

We found two hours to be just about right. And you're right to plan on arriving early. We did, found the museum almost empty, but it started to fill up by 9:15 and when we left at 10:45 there was a long line waiting to buy tickets.

One additional point about the Vasa: The 15-minute introductory film, shown continuously, is very worthwhile, but don't feel you need to catch the English version. The Swedish version has full English subtitles.

Thank you for this incredible information.

Ultima Thule - Thank you for the videos. I found them posted (by you perhaps) in another thread. I watched them yesterday and found them to be such a valuable source of information. I even bookmarked tourvideos.com to view videos when I'm planning other ports in the future.

North-bound - Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. I have a few questions:

Skansen - We are planning to visit Skansen. How many hours should we plan there? I agree that we will not concentrate on the animals but rather spend our time visiting the houses and "businesses." Is there anything else at Skansen that you would consider a "don't miss?" Can we visit the Vasa Museum in the morning and Skansen in the afternoon? I plan to arrive at the Vasa Museum when they open at 8:30 a.m., and spend 2-3 hours there, arriving at Skansen about 11:30 a.m., and exploring Skansen until 4:30 or 5:00-ish. Will that work? Am I allowing enough time at Skansen? Am I allowing too much time? Am I allowing the correct amount of time at Vasa? We've been to Stockholm once before and visited the Vasa Museum, but I can't recall exactly how much time we needed. If I'm allowing too much time at either the Vasa Museum or Skansen, please advise what would be a good sight or activity to add to complete the day.

Sodermalm - Thank you for the suggestion for the Millenium walking tour. Although we've read the books, I'm not sure that that is the tour for us. Are there other walking tours for that area, or are we just as well if we just wander on our own? How much time would you suggest we allow?

Driving in Sweden - Since we are cruising New Zealand and Australia in the near future and we are renting a car in some of the ports, I must ask my next question. In NZ and Australia, they drive on the opposite side of the road from what we do in the USA - just like in Great Britain. How do you drive in Stockholm? Like the Brits, Kiwis and Aussies, or like the Americans? My husband is willing to try it in NZ and Australia, but if he finds it to be difficult, then I know I will never be able to convince him to rent a car in Sweden if it means driving on the "other" side of the road. I've seen pictures of the countryside outside of Stockholm, and it's truly magical. I would love to see it in "real time." Please advise me of your driving styles in Sweden.

Thanks,

Shelley

Wasa+Skansen

2-3 hours at Wasa should be ok, hard to say about Skansen though.

I don't think you will need more time but 4-5 hours is probably ok.

Its quite many years since i last was to Skansen so i don't remember.

Södermalm

I haven't been able to find other guided tours of Södermalm but only one DIY tour:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/city-guides/stockholm-walking-tour-3/

Looks ok but it only covers the shore line and missing the good stuff in the middle.

But i guess you could wander around for yourself as well.

go here: http://stockholmgo.com/places.php check Södermalm, then check all under tags

should give you some nice suggestions for Södermalm.

Click each suggestion for more info.

Then there are also other non Södermalm tours:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g189852-d2021378-Reviews-StoRy_touRs-Stockholm.html

http://www.storytours.eu/en/tours/walking_tours.html (same as the above).

http://www.stockholmourway.com/tours/the-viking-walk/

http://www.viator.com/tours/Stockholm/The-Original-Stockholm-Ghost-Walk-and-Historical-Tour/d907-3194GHOST?SSAID=313950&aid=132440

http://www.getyourguide.com/stockholm/hidden-stockholm-half-day-walking-tour-t13456/

Driving

In Sweden we drive on the right side of the road (as you do in the US).

Roads are usually pretty good and the traffic is normally not that intense.

Except perhaps around Stockholm in rush hours.

Is there anything else at Skansen that you would consider a "don't miss?"

Personally I find the town quarters very interesting. They are a bit on the side of the normal route so they are easy to miss. Don't!

Can we visit the Vasa Museum in the morning and Skansen in the afternoon? Will that work?

Your planned time schedule sounds very good to me.

How do you drive in Stockholm? Like the Brits, Kiwis and Aussies, or like the Americans?

They started off driving on the left side like the Brits but then changed to driving on the right side in 1967 so no problem for you there. (Only the subway still has left hand traffic).

Thanks again for the helpful information. My husband and I were talking about where to go and what to see in Stockholm, and we've considered skipping the places where we visited on our previous trip to Stockholm. That includes the Vasa Museum. I know it's the #1 thing to do in Stockholm, but we've done it, and we want to concentrate our time on places we haven't yet seen. The exception, of course, is Gamla Stan. I want to wander and wander and wander and get lost, and . . . You get the picture?

So, that being said, we want to go to Skansen, the City Hall, Drottingholm Palace, Sodermalm, and driving to Sigtuna, the palaces that were mentioned and the countryside (my husband gave his consent to do this since you drive on the right side of the road like us - thank goodness!) Now for a few questions:

1) There was mention of Moja - what is that?

2) Also, there was mention of the "town quarters." What is that, and if it's easy to miss, please help me to find them.

3) Would you recommend the National Museum?

4) What museums (other than Vasa and the Royal Palace - Armory, Treasury, etc. that we have visited previously) are the "don't miss" museums?

5) When we drive to Sigtuna, will that also take us to the countryside? You mentioned it's near the airport? If we do not find the countryside that way, where do we go to find it? What places in the countryside should we see?

6) How much of this could we accomplish is 3 days? 4 days?

Thank you again for your help. I am so excited about visiting Stockholm again!

Shelley

1. Möja is an island in the outer Archipelago. About 3 hours boat trip from central Stockholm.

http://www.mojaturistinfo.se/text1_95.html

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/visitor/Destinations/the-archipelago-of-stockholm/moja/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6ja

2. not sure what you mean by town quarters?

3. I have never been there myself but i guess if you have some interest in arts you would probably like it.

4. most of the museums in reply #8+ medeltidsmuseet are well worth a visit i think.

5. Not sure how much country side it is., Sigtuna is here:

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Sigtuna&ll=59.582675,17.9496&spn=0.227706,0.946884&hnear=Sigtuna&t=h&z=11

if you want (have time) you could do a semi lap around lake Mälaren.

It would probably take minimum one day. check the box named "avoid freeways" for more countryside like roads.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Stockholm&daddr=Mariefred+to:Str%C3%A4ngn%C3%A4s+to:59.42917,16.88323+to:Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g+to:Sundbyholms+Slott,+Eskilstuna+to:Sigtuna+to:Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.396171,16.850624&sspn=0.114484,0.473442&geocode=FaJJiQMdDqYTASnLC2QZMXZfRjFmd51n0ycNqA%3BFYM5iAMdHMcGASkzv-wbjQFfRjHLjlgwt-0Jeg%3BFSwHigMdt-MDASmDCuMxSlReRjHvJ-G9xqhSiw%3BFTLRigMdHp4BASmlff9JxfleRjHwkGsX8_4AEw%3BFXYCiwMdKc_9AA%3BFQYZiwMdQqf9ACFAELDIZPHcoykT_VDki_ReRjFAELDIZPHcow%3BFUq3jQMdG3AOASl1KAzQULpfRjH9gcrXcdCqZA%3BFaJJiQMdDqYTASnLC2QZMXZfRjFmd51n0ycNqA&t=h&mra=ls&via=3&z=9

explanation stops:

A+G Stockholm, start/finish.

B. Mariefred, cosy little town, with Gripsholms Castle

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/royalpalaces/gripsholmcastle/thecastle.4.396160511584257f2180001681.html

A medieval castle still owned by the Swedish Royal court but open to public.

It includes the Swedish national portrait collection as well as a theatre in one of the towers.

In Mariefred you also have the Östra Södermanlands järnväg.

A narrow gauge heritage steam railroad. Limited opening hours from mid August.

C.Strängnäs, another cosy town at lake Mälaren.

D. Ramsund carving.

A Viking rune carving on a large piece of surfaced rock.

The largest run carving in Sweden and one of Sweden's largest rock carvings.

E. Sundbyholm Palace (not castle as the wiki says).

http://www.sundbyholms-slott.se/index.cfm/department_id/3/lang/uk/

A 1700 century palace with a nice park and surroundings.

F. Sigtuna, Sweden's oldest (still existing) town, located just north west from Stockholm.

6. You'll probably need 4 days. But it depends on nr 1 and 5. you probably wont accomplish both in 4 days

+ museums and walking around old tow+ Södermalm.

We did a free walking tour in Stockholm through: http://www.freetourstockholm.com/

We met at the Central Station. The tour took about 90 minutes and ended up on the bridge in front of the Castle, right before the changing of the guard. Then we were right there at Old Town for browsing and lunch. The guide was personable and informative. Everyone pays whatever the spirit moves.

We also purchased a 24 hour prepaid SL card for the subways right at the airport. The subway trains/tunnels were very clean and well marked. It was extemely easy to find our way around town.

For anyone interested in Vikings, I recommend the Historiska Museet. http://www.historiska.se/home/

The gold room is amazing. Almost all signage is also in English.

2) Also, there was mention of the "town quarters." What is that, and if it's easy to miss, please help me to find them.

The "town quarters" are located in the southwest part of Skansen.

You can read about it here:

http://www.skansen.se/en/grid/town-quarter

Skansen is quite hilly and the natural way after entering is to turn right (east) towards the zoo sector but as you can see on this map there is a escalator leading up towards the town quarters.

http://www.skansen.se/en/artikel/map-skansen

http://www.skansen.se/en/artikel/print-your-own-skansen-map

Archived