CHANKANAAB Excursion or DIY

calex1976

This will be our first cruise with the kids, so we are only doing a 4 day. Our last one we did our own thing in Key West and Caymans, but did a ship excursion in Jamaica. I knew I could get around fine in two ports, but was worried about Jamaica. I am actually glad I paid extra in Jamaica, the place seemed to be a mad house.

Now we are going to Cozumel and have decided on Chankanaab Park. What are every ones opinions on doing this with out a booked excursion? I have read that the cabs are easy to get to and from, but don't want the worry of being left behind. The main reason I want to do this with out a excursion is the history part of the trip. I love history, but it sounds like the documentary part goes on for way too long. I'm sure the kids will be ready to get in the water soon as we get there. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Super easy as long as you can read your watch and don't push your luck you have nothing to worry about. There are cabs waiting outside of Chankanaab waiting to take you back. Don't waste your money on a ship excursion here. It's set up just like an amusement park here... big open area where you're dropped off with a few huts selling stuff. Then the hut where you buy your ticket, they give you a wristband depending on what options you bought and then you enter the park.

It's only maybe a 5 minute cab ride. 10 at the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks sounds great, as for reading my watch I constantly check it in port. I was back on the ship in Key west a hour early and I grew up in the Keys. I have seen too many Youtube videos of people running to the ship..lol.

Yes I'm the most paranoid person when it comes that. People probably think I have a tick or something! I'm always checking my watch. Of course it didn't help that my watch died while we were on our cruise in April! I roughed it out a few days but finally wound up buying a new one. All those places to buy a watch and nobody would replace a battery.

Good call. Btw the restaurant there was quite good IMO. Obviously not very cheap since its in a park but among the best fish I've had. Of course it's been over a year since I was there so I take no responsibility if you don't like it :)

I think the entrance fee is $21, before coupon. That's what it's been for a little while, at least. I don't know if anything's recently changed.

Where can I get this coupon and how much will it save me?

We've done it twice on our own in the last 9 or so months. We love Chankanaab.

Here's 2 of my reviews with tons of pictures for you to get a feel of the place if interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

(Within the above review you will find the $2 off coupon)

This is a review on the dolphin/manatee swim if you are interested in that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Second trip there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33274360&postcount=48

Here's 2 of my reviews with tons of pictures for you to get a feel of the place if interested:

Second trip there:

Thank you :)

Second trip there:

Did you book your Dolphin/Manatee swim through the park? We want to do both wondering how much it should cost and if we should prebook?

Did you book your Dolphin/Manatee swim through the park? We want to do both wondering how much it should cost and if we should prebook?

Yes, we booked online. If you book ahead of time, you usually get it for cheaper. Also, they run specials online every so often. (At least I know they do for NCL passengers. They'll do a buy one swim get one for $1 every so often). My oldest daughter went with us on out last cruise and her and her boyfriend got the buy one get one special. :)

Hi

Thanks a mill for all the info and pics. In some pics it looks like you brought your camera with you into the water is this so? Did you have somewhere to put the camera when it was your turn to interact with the dolphin. We were thinking of doing the swim one were the dolphin brings you along the water. Did you ever see this one been done? I think its a bit dearer to do it but just wondered in your opinion if its needed. What was your programme called? you also mention you booked online. Did you actually book with dolphin discovery themselves or another place?

Hi

Thanks a mill for all the info and pics. In some pics it looks like you brought your camera with you into the water is this so? Did you have somewhere to put the camera when it was your turn to interact with the dolphin. We were thinking of doing the swim one were the dolphin brings you along the water. Did you ever see this one been done? I think its a bit dearer to do it but just wondered in your opinion if its needed. What was your programme called? you also mention you booked online. Did you actually book with dolphin discovery themselves or another place?

Yes, we brought our camera with us in the water both times. However, people have posted that you can no longer do this. (We were there the last time in March and I guess it's changed since then). So now you are pretty much forced to buy their pictures they take of you at the dolphin swim if you want any pictures.

My oldest daughter did the dolphin royal and that was the one that you swim with them and they push you up out of the water with their noses. She loved it!

Yes, I booked with Dolphin Discovery directly. :)

Yes, we brought our camera with us in the water both times. However, people have posted that you can no longer do this. (We were there the last time in March and I guess it's changed since then). So now you are pretty much forced to buy their pictures they take of you at the dolphin swim if you want any pictures.

My oldest daughter did the dolphin royal and that was the one that you swim with them and they push you up out of the water with their noses. She loved it!

Yes, I booked with Dolphin Discovery directly. :)

sounds fantastic. I have emailed them directly, I do not see any special offers advertised online. I seen in your review your daughter got one swim and the other for 1USD was she informed about this offer or did she chance her arm in asking? Maybe I'll just ask and see.

sounds fantastic. I have emailed them directly, I do not see any special offers advertised online. I seen in your review your daughter got one swim and the other for 1USD was she informed about this offer or did she chance her arm in asking? Maybe I'll just ask and see.

It was advertised on their (DD) site when she went to book her swim. So that's how she found out about it. If they are running a special, they will have it on there. :)

They have two specials running now...25% off and the one I copied below. They change back and forth on the page.....You can see it here:

http://www.dolphin discovery.com/cozumel/ cozumel-deals.asp

(remove spaces)

Limited Time Offer!

Swim with Dolphins for only $10 USD By purchasing your first swim at our regular rate ($129.USD)

Take advantage of this 2 for 1 LIMITED TIME offer and enjoy the thrill and excitement of swimming with dolphins!.

• No restrictions apply on schedules or days of anticipation. Reserve now and swim anytime!

• This promotion does not apply with other promotions, packages, products, discounts and services.

• Bookings require purchasing with at least seven days prior the day of the service.

• Promotion applies for phone reservation only.

• Call us today Toll free: ◦ México 01.800.727.5391

◦ US 1.866.393.5158

◦ Canadá 1.866.793.1905

◦ Direct line +52-(998)-193-3360

• 2 months later...

We just got back from the park, and I highly recommend it.The cab drivers are very professional, the park very clean, and well worth the price. They are building another part to the park, not sure when it will be done or what it will become. The beach was very clean, workers were actually raking up the sea grass as it washed in. The reef is not as active as some I have seen, but there was no drift at all. We snorkeled with two kids and they had no trouble at all. Save yourself a lot of money and do this one on your own. Thanks every one for the great advice.

We just got back from the park, and I highly recommend it.The cab drivers are very professional, the park very clean, and well worth the price. They are building another part to the park, not sure when it will be done or what it will become. The beach was very clean, workers were actually raking up the sea grass as it washed in. The reef is not as active as some I have seen, but there was no drift at all. We snorkeled with two kids and they had no trouble at all. Save yourself a lot of money and do this one on your own. Thanks every one for the great advice.

Just wondering...where are they building at? I haven't heard anyone mention it before.

Just wondering...where are they building at? I haven't heard anyone mention it before.

They are working on a building between the Lagoon and the gift shop. I showed my son the difference in work in the States and in Mexico. A man was hand men were hand digging a well with shovels and here we would have one man on a backhoe. The building looks nice, almost all of the outside was done. Hope this link works.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=5034672022/PictureID=207552218022/a=358777022_358777022/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I printed the coupon, does one coupon discount all adult admissions in your party or do I need 1 copy for each person?

We used one coupon for 2 adults and two children. I think one will work for up to 10 guests. I will see if I can upload a few pictures of the park. We were very impressed with it. One thing I did notice was there are guides that want to show you around the park, free of charge, but they expect a tip. We just said no thanks and kept walking.

Archived