October, November, December Atlantic?

Leucothea

Of October, November or December, which month is likely to have the roughest seas on the Atlantic? I had thought it would be December, but I know hurricane season extends through October or November. I had a very smooth November crossing once, so I wonder how October or December would compare.

I know rough seas can happen at any time, but generally in summer I have found them to be less likely, and more likely in spring. But I'm interested in the likelihood of rough weather in the fall, and whether it is more or less likely than in December.

Of October, November or December, which month is likely to have the roughest seas on the Atlantic? I had thought it would be December, but I know hurricane season extends through October or November. I had a very smooth November crossing once, so I wonder how October or December would compare.

I know rough seas can happen at any time, but generally in summer I have found them to be less likely, and more likely in spring. But I'm interested in the likelihood of rough weather in the fall, and whether it is more or less likely than in December.

The threat of intense north east storms really starts in later Nov. Winter storms can get really fierce. Hurricanes usually will start dying off in Oct. There maybe swells from hurricanes hundreds of miles away, but really rough seas get going when the winter storms begin.

The threat of intense north east storms really starts in later Nov. Winter storms can get really fierce. Hurricanes usually will start dying off in Oct. There maybe swells from hurricanes hundreds of miles away, but really rough seas get going when the winter storms begin.

Thus Cunard's amazingly cheap fares in November?!

There's the uncertainty. I was on the roughest crossing I'd ever been on in May (extreme near hurricane), and one of the smoothest in late November.

I just don't feel up to experiencing a severe winter storm on the Atlantic anymore however, and winter is no doubt more likely to produce such weather.

Archived