Connect at Sea

jamesnnb

I recently read an article about an app called 'Connect at Sea' ( http://marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2811:now-theres-a-smartphone-app-for-cruise-ship-passengers&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=195 ) and wondered if anyone heard of this and how it works? I can't find the app (yet) but I would be interested in hearing how it works and what ships it might be used on? Anyone know more about 'Connect at Sea'.

I too wondered the same thing. Here is an answer to my email addressed to MTM Satellite.

Thank you for your email. Currently we are introducing Connect at Sea with our cruise partners. As each comes online you will be able to find the voice app in both the Apple and Android stores under their brands. Alyce

So far that is all I have learned. No pricing info etc.

According to this website:

http://www.thedigitalship.com/conferences/2006/displaynews.asp?NewsID=2287

'The jointly developed MTN and WMS solution works with a vessel's Wi-Fi infrastructure and data/voice prioritisation strategy, while keeping bandwidth usage low. Users do not have to purchase an internet plan to use the application, and can download it from iTunes or the Android store.'

I found it easily in iTunes app store. Just search Connect at Sea. It's free.

Now that would be excellent if it works for free :eek:

edit to add: the blurb on the app says 'Affordable'??

I just got a reply back from celebrity telling me that all ships use WMS for their wireless coverage yet there was a NOTE that the Eclipse & Silhouette uses On Waves as the provider. Not sure if MTN is compatible with On Waves. Do not know about the Reflection. Verizon does not list the Silhouette or Reflection on their coverage web site for WMS but do list the Eclipse. Very confusing why Celebrity would advertise ALL ships use WMS but then (without any notafications) switch to On Waves for the Eclipse & Silhouette. Bottom line is if you have a Verizon cell phone it cannot be used on the Eclipse or Silhouette (Reflection ??????)

We thought the press release was very promising. But the one thing that seems to be missing is the cost per minute (or message) of this service. MTN has certainly pioneered very expensive satallite phone and internet services on ships (they sometimes have charged as much as $12 a min) so we would want to know the cost of this new service before we considered using their app.

Hank

According to Term & Condition #8 found on the free app., they offer pre-paid pricing/service packages -- with expiration date -- charged to your credit card. Any unused minutes are forfeited without refund upon expiration.

According to Term & Condition #8 found on the free app., they offer pre-paid pricing/service packages -- with expiration date -- charged to your credit card. Any unused minutes are forfeited without refund upon expiration.

And this again begs the question, how much does it really cost? We are also not big fans of pre-paid plans that allow no carry-over or refund of unused minutes. In the end most folks end up paying for minutes they either do not need or do not use.

Hank

I just got a reply back from celebrity telling me that all ships use WMS for their wireless coverage yet there was a NOTE that the Eclipse & Silhouette uses On Waves as the provider. Not sure if MTN is compatible with On Waves. Do not know about the Reflection. Verizon does not list the Silhouette or Reflection on their coverage web site for WMS but do list the Eclipse. Very confusing why Celebrity would advertise ALL ships use WMS but then (without any notafications) switch to On Waves for the Eclipse & Silhouette. Bottom line is if you have a Verizon cell phone it cannot be used on the Eclipse or Silhouette (Reflection ??????)

This is partially true. You need to have a world phone. Ie gsm on the phone. Verizon is based on cdma. The newer iphones have gsm, this needs to be activated with verizon before traveling. i did see a post where they had verizon where one person it did not work, and another person that it did. As they did not mention what kind of phone they used, im only going to assume one had a world phone.

Bosjoe

I think the bigger question is how does celebrity Not document that it is using On Waves and not WMS on the Eclipse & Silhouette. I'm assuming On Waves supports GSM only which is why you can't use the Verizon wireless CDMA phones. Either way in needs to be cleared up by Celebrity BEFORE you plan & book your cruise. If interested, take a look at the Celebrity brouchures or web site. No where will you find On Waves as the wireless provider on their ships. Everything is WMS. The only wat I found out is from that post about use on the Silhouette and then started to research with Celebrity and Verizon. Still have not got a clear answer or description from Celebrity beside a Note from one of reps who answer email questions. Frustrating...

Bosjoe

I think the bigger question is how does celebrity Not document that it is using On Waves and not WMS on the Eclipse & Silhouette. I'm assuming On Waves supports GSM only which is why you can't use the Verizon wireless CDMA phones. Either way in needs to be cleared up by Celebrity BEFORE you plan & book your cruise. If interested, take a look at the Celebrity brouchures or web site. No where will you find On Waves as the wireless provider on their ships. Everything is WMS. The only wat I found out is from that post about use on the Silhouette and then started to research with Celebrity and Verizon. Still have not got a clear answer or description from Celebrity beside a Note from one of reps who answer email questions. Frustrating...

This is what i found on their webpage. it needs to be updated for the other ships. I am gathering that you just have a cdma phone. Hopefully verizon will update to work with onwaves cdma.

Note: Wireless Maritime Service provides the cellular service onboard all Celebrity ships except for Celebrity Eclipse®, which is provided by OnWaves.

Were you able to get the Connect at Sea app to register? I have the iPhone version and it won't register.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived