Bermuda Summit Review 8/12/12 Sailing - Great Cruise!

fgc15527

Just returned from the 8/12-8/19 Summit sailing to Bermuda. I know there have been many reviews already written about this cruise over the summer but I thought I would just repeat that it was a great cruise!

We were a group of ten sailing in celebration of my parent's 50th wedding anniversary, We had one sky suite and 4 oceanview cabins and all of the cabins were in very good condition and our cabin stewards did a great job all week for the entire group - including two cabins of teenagers. It was the first time my parents have been in a suite - they booked a suite guarantee and had sky suite 6100. It was nice having the extra room for all of us to meet in and it was fun having a Butler for the first time. One thing that I thought I might mention for people with mobility issues is that the sky suite has a bathtub but in order to shower you must be able to climb over the side of the bathtub and into the tub. The side of the tub while not wide is higher than an average bathtub.

I also want to say how easy it is to use the Cape Liberty Terminal we arrived at the terminal around 10:30 and we were on the ship by a little after 11. Leaving the ship was just as easy - there were several immigration lines and they moved quickly. We had an 8:30 departure time and we were in the car and leaving the terminal by 9:15.

The ship was very full with many families. We were told that there were around 460 kids onboard. While the entertainment in the theater was very good and the entertainers are very talented it would have been nice to have some entertainers that would appeal to wider age range. The comedian was very good but it would have been nice to have had a magician, juggler or an acrobatic act that we've seen on other 7 day cruises. They had a Liberace type pianist who was very talented but did not have wide age audience appeal. Everyone in our group enjoyed the guitar playing and singing of Andrew Halpin and went to hear him play every night.

Our experience in the dining room was great. Our wait staff was very efficient. They also had great personalities and were very engaging and humorous. The current chef Pasqual was leaving for vacation at the end of the cruise. On one of the formal nights we were asked to join the Captain's table for dinner- it was totally unexpected and we were very honored to be asked. Both the Captain and Officer were very nice to have dinner with and it was a special night that we enjoyed very much.

I did see a young man turned away from the dining room on a formal night because they were wearing shorts. They were very nice about it and urged him to change and come back. Several in our group changed into shorts each night after dinner and were never denied entry into the theater.

On our first day in Bermuda we did a 3 hour glass bottom boat/snorkel trip. I booked this on our own through Bermuda Reef Explorer($55).

On our second day I booked a private jet ski tour in the morning with Somerset Bridge Water Sports - they will pay for your cab ride from the Dockyard to their place and then you can take the #7 bus back to the Dockyard. The group really enjoyed the jet ski tour. In the afternoon we went to Horseshoe Bay on the bus. We were able to buy the 15 ferry/bus ticket packs ($30) at the Dockyard ticket office. This worked out to be a cheaper option for us then buying the 3 day unlimited ferry/bus passes for everyone. On our third day we went back to Horseshoe Bay for a few more hours.

Around the pool on sea days the chair hogs were out early in the morning and reserving multiple chairs and not coming back for hours. On the first sea day one women reserved 10 pool chairs for her family - 8 were unoccupied. The pool staff was doing a great job putting notices on the chairs saying that they would remove people's stuff if it was unattended for 30 minutes. Well after the pool butler put the notice on her 8 empty deck chairs the women started screaming and threatening the pool butler and then the officer in charge. So it was a little tense around the pool at times with people getting upset that their towels and things were removed from deck chairs.

Hope this review helps and if you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them based on our cruise experience.

Thanks for your review. Glad your family had a great cruise! How nice that you got to dine at the Captains table!

Did you notice any problems with cleaning around the ship? Im concerned about recent reviews that bathrooms are in poor shape and public restrooms are not attended to.

We just returned from another wonderful celebrity cruise aboard the summit. The ship has been updated and now includes Aqua Class, Quisine, a Martini Bar- Bistro on Five and other new additions.

We had a Celebrity Suite- it was fantastic and truly a special experience. The suite was huge with a newly added balcony. Elvis our butler was great. Service throughout the ship and Elite perks wonderful. It was a special anniversary celebration for us- so we splurged. We also dined with Captain Pannos and had a special private tour of the bridge and coffee with the Captain on another day.

Leaving from Bayonne was easy and efficient. No airports to deal with. Boarding was a breeze- I think we boarded around 11:30 and proceeded to have lunch at Bistro on Five- great crepes, soups and salads- No crowds- worth the $5.00 pp. Desserts were excellent. We then toured the ship. Our staterooms were ready about 1:30.

From the moment we stepped onboard we were treated like Royality. Since we are now Elite members, we had many perks- drinks nightly at Michaels club and free internet 90 min per person, and free laundry and dry cleaning services (2 loads of laundry and 2 pieces of dry cleaning each- plus pressing of two garments). Since will also sail on Royal Caribbean occasionally, we have reciprocity and are members of the Diamond Club on Royal Caribbean.

I will write a more detailed outline when I have the opportunity- I must say however, you will have a ball. Celebrity truly is a wonderful cruise line with excellent service.

We had five cabins and all of us had bathrooms that were in fine condition and very clean. I felt the ship looked great - I never thought anything looked unclean. There were people constantly wiping things down and doing general cleaning through out the ship. The public bathrooms were always clean and being attended to.

In the Oceanview Cafe most of the food was served to you and the tables were always clean. Through out the first two days we smelled cigarette smoke on deck three. Both days I called guest relations to tell them that someone was smoking in their cabin and after the second day we never smelled it again.

Around the pool on sea days the chair hogs were out early in the morning and reserving multiple chairs and not coming back for hours. On the first sea day one women reserved 10 pool chairs for her family - 8 were unoccupied. The pool staff was doing a great job putting notices on the chairs saying that they would remove people's stuff if it was unattended for 30 minutes. Well after the pool butler put the notice on her 8 empty deck chairs the women started screaming and threatening the pool butler and then the officer in charge. So it was a little tense around the pool at times with people getting upset that their towels and things were removed from deck chairs.

Where are those surly rude crew members when you need them????This is a niche job for them.

Thanks for your review. Glad your family had a great cruise! How nice that you got to dine at the Captains table!

Did you notice any problems with cleaning around the ship? Im concerned about recent reviews that bathrooms are in poor shape and public restrooms are not attended to.

I know someone who returned the week before who said she was confused as to the poor cleanliness reviews as the public areas and restaurooms were all kept clean. I wonder if it matters when you hit them if it was right before or right after they were cleaned. She traveled with a large group and they had all positive things to say except for teens overtaking the pools (outdoor ones) and chair hogs were out in full force.

Archived