Extra Night on Cruisetour

dawn.glenn@ns.sympatico.c

Hello,

We are looking at flying into Anchorage a day earlier than planned for our Cruisetour in order to explore Anchorage some. We can book the extra night at the Captain Cook Hotel direct through Princess and the Princess rep told me that our transfers from the airport will still apply on the day we arrive. I realize there are less expensive routes (ie booking a different hotel for that night then moving to the Captain Cook the next night. Or even booking the Captain Cook on our own but then the transfers would not apply). I am still considering all our options and am interested to hear if others have booked an additional night through Princess and if things went smooth with the transfers etc.

1 Price quoted by Princess for extra night at the Capt. Cook is per person.

2 Transfers are per person.

3 Cabs from airport to a hotel are for the cab

4 You do not have to accept the automatic transfer that Princess includes in their price. You can opt out.

Generally cab fare will be for the trip, not pp. You will probably want to add a tip. Fares are regulated and metered. If your tour starts in Anchorage with an overnight at the Capt Cook and you want to use the hotel for one night prior, the only advantage to using Princess services might be that you won't have to change rooms. But in dealing with the Capt. Cook directly you might be able to have the same room for the second night. I don't know how Princess reserves their rooms; in a block, by the floor or scattered. Capt Cook might not be able to put you into the Princess area for one night. Depending on arriving flights you might be getting into Anchorage quite late at night. The night prior does give you time to decompress from a full day of travel. Hard to do something at 9:00 AM if you arrived on a flight at 1:00 AM :o.

Generally cab fare will be for the trip, not pp. You will probably want to add a tip. Fares are regulated and metered. If your tour starts in Anchorage with an overnight at the Capt Cook and you want to use the hotel for one night prior, the only advantage to using Princess services might be that you won't have to change rooms. But in dealing with the Capt. Cook directly you might be able to have the same room for the second night. I don't know how Princess reserves their rooms; in a block, by the floor or scattered. Capt Cook might not be able to put you into the Princess area for one night. Depending on arriving flights you might be getting into Anchorage quite late at night. The night prior does give you time to decompress from a full day of travel. Hard to do something at 9:00 AM if you arrived on a flight at 1:00 AM :o.

Everything I have heard is that when you compare the per-person rates with Princess for such a hotel + transfer and try to replicate it on your own, you almost always come out ahead by just doing it on your own.

I would do a price comparison. See what you can book the hotel for on your own, and add in cab fare. I really think you will find that you will come out ahead, esp. since the cruiseline price is pp for everything. Check the online price at the hotel AND call direct. Sometimes the online price is better, sometimes not. You are VERY WISE to be coming in a day early.

Hello,

We are looking at flying into Anchorage a day earlier than planned for our Cruisetour in order to explore Anchorage some. We can book the extra night at the Captain Cook Hotel direct through Princess and the Princess rep told me that our transfers from the airport will still apply on the day we arrive. I realize there are less expensive routes (ie booking a different hotel for that night then moving to the Captain Cook the next night. Or even booking the Captain Cook on our own but then the transfers would not apply). I am still considering all our options and am interested to hear if others have booked an additional night through Princess and if things went smooth with the transfers etc.

We had the same issue (with a different company) for our upcoming cruise. We want to add a day in Anchorage at the end of our NB tour. We looked at moving to the Embassy suites. (nicer hotel--but requires transportation since it is midtown) also, lloked at independently booking an extra night at the Quality Inn and suites by the Convention Center. (tour hotel) But, the tour had reserved all of the rooms and I had to go through them.:(

Archived