Frustrated with Carnival's Processes

buckeyefrank

I usually am a pretty calm person but for the life of me I dont' understand why Carnival sets their processes up the way they do and I am really frustrated right now.

We are booked on the Fascination on Sept 24th and were booked on an inside cabin with ES rates through a TA. We had made payment in full and we were ready to go. Last weekend, I checked the fareviewer and rates had decreased to the point that I could upgrade to an OV for $20 less. I called my TA on Monday and upgraded my booking. It came to $5 more due to a $25 increase in taxes, which I have no problem with. The TA was on the phone with Carnival, who confirmed the rates and booking over the phone.

Later that afternoon, I pulled up my invoice on Carnival's website and the rate listed was $160 more than agreed upon. I called my TA back and they said they completed a price protection form and sent it to Carnival but it could take 48 hours to complete. I waited until today and there is still no change on the invoice. It's still showing $160 more than the rate I agreed to. I called my TA this morning and she talks to Carnival. They are stating that it's either being processed (unlikely) or they didn't receive the form. So now my TA says they are submitting another form but the rates are now higher by $40 than they were last week. The worst part is that I have to pay the $160 right now or I could lose my booking, which I don't really have to spend at this point. I know if the form is approved, the money will be placed as an OBC, but I'm worried they'll deny the form for some reason.

I don't understand why Carnival requires the use of a price protection form after final payment for an upgrade. The CS rep can obviously see the rate when they're on the phone. I will probably cruise with Carnival again, but this feels like unfair business practices to me. They offered a price, I accepted the price, it was agreed to by Carnival while on the phone and now they are not honoring that price.

Other than waiting for 2 business days, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure this thing gets resolved appropriately?

I think the biggest problem is that every rep you talk to has a different story, you seem to get a neverending ride on the hamster wheel when there is a problem or when trying to upgrade, for this reason I've picked the room I want at the rate I can live with and forget it, nothing is worth the torture of getting so many conflicting stories from "reps" in the same company. FRUSTRATING!!!!

Carole

Did you get an email confirmation with the original agreed price change and upgrade? Did your TA? Did you TA or you print or save a copy of the price drop that happened? Do you have anything in writing or communication on it?

I'm not trying to patronize you, just making sure you try to have everything you can to work for you. ES can be tricky and a pain, no doubt. I book it alot b/c I book so far in advance, but I always warn family and friends about the problems that could happen do to its strict policies.

I would suggest that you keep plugging away. Keep on your TA, you are paying them to deal with this stuff for you (well, early saver can hurt them a bit, but still you are the customer). Get on the phone with the TA and Carnival as a three way, ask for a manager. Keep getting back with them. Most of the time if you just keep asking and explaining they will eventually hear you. Unfortunately, this is how it seems to be with Carnival.

If you book through a TA, you are at their mercy. You assume they will be at the office... you assume they won't put your request at the bottom of the pile... etc., etc..

Booking directly allows you to control your reservation.

Did you get an email confirmation with the original agreed price change and upgrade? Did your TA? Did you TA or you print or save a copy of the price drop that happened? Do you have anything in writing or communication on it?

I'm not trying to patronize you, just making sure you try to have everything you can to work for you. ES can be tricky and a pain, no doubt. I book it alot b/c I book so far in advance, but I always warn family and friends about the problems that could happen do to its strict policies.

I would suggest that you keep plugging away. Keep on your TA, you are paying them to deal with this stuff for you (well, early saver can hurt them a bit, but still you are the customer). Get on the phone with the TA and Carnival as a three way, ask for a manager. Keep getting back with them. Most of the time if you just keep asking and explaining they will eventually hear you. Unfortunately, this is how it seems to be with Carnival.

I know you're not trying to be patronizing but when I called my TA I had no access to a computer so I have nothing, unfortunately: No email, screenprint, nothing. I wised up and have a screenprint of the rates showing today, which are still $40 over what we agreed to.

What doesn't make sense is that Carnival's CSR, calculated the new rate, changed the booking, but reflected a different price than what I was charged for on the spot. I would understand more if they charged me the $160 and said I would get it back as OBC once the form was submitted. My TA simply told me it was $5 to upgrade and I believed her.

I am continuing the fight though. I will probably come back to Carnival and still book ES but I will never upgrade again through that program.

Archived