Inside Cabin Bed Question

seluased

Hi,

Going solo in an inside cabin. At first I was going to request having the two beds pushed together, but upon further reflection, and seeing some photos, realized I might have a bit more space with them apart and using the extra bed to throw things on (heh...). What do you all think? I'm used to sleeping in a queen and haven't slept on a twin in years, so will it be too small? I just read that cruise twin beds are actually smaller than normal ones? Is that true?

Basically, which should I give up: a big bed to move around on, or space in the cabin? I'd be more likely to go with two beds pushed together if they kept them in the corner, but since they'd be in the middle, you really do lose a lot of space.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I sailed solo on a Carnival ship last year - in a porthole room that only had one bed. I normally sleep in a queen, but don't use the whole bed. I did fine.

For my May 2013 Alaska cruise on the NCL Sun, I'm the only one in my stateroom. My friends have a mini-suite and I have a porthole cabin. I'm going to have the beds separate - hopefully it will be set up like this:

1156124914.jpg

Hi,

Going solo in an inside cabin. At first I was going to request having the two beds pushed together, but upon further reflection, and seeing some photos, realized I might have a bit more space with them apart and using the extra bed to throw things on (heh...). What do you all think? I'm used to sleeping in a queen and haven't slept on a twin in years, so will it be too small? I just read that cruise twin beds are actually smaller than normal ones? Is that true?

Basically, which should I give up: a big bed to move around on, or space in the cabin? I'd be more likely to go with two beds pushed together if they kept them in the corner, but since they'd be in the middle, you really do lose a lot of space.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I was solo in an inside on the GEM and absolutely had more room with the beds apart. The middle aisle was the way to go. And I did use the other bed to throw things and put all my towel animals on;)!

Yeah that pic is actually what I'm hoping the room will look like, and it provides more space than having them together in the middle. I think I'll go with separate, but I'm worried about turning over and slamming into the wall. :eek:

Why do they have to be pushed together in the middle? Why not push them together and over the the side up against the wall? That's what we always do. You have just as much room from the bed to the wall and you would from the bed to the bed in the middle...but you have a bigger bed. :D It works out great for us.

Why do they have to be pushed together in the middle? Why not push them together and over the the side up against the wall? That's what we always do. You have just as much room from the bed to the wall and you would from the bed to the bed in the middle...but you have a bigger bed. :D It works out great for us.

In all the photos I've seen of them pushed together, they're always in the middle. I assumed it's because it's easier for the steward to make up the bed that way.

Try the beds both ways! Can't see why the cabin stewards would mind.

BTW, have a wonderful time going solo. My husband couldn't come on a cruise one time so I was solo. It was heavenly having the stateroom to myself!

Keep in mind that if you plan on pushing them together and sleeping in the middle of the newly-bigger bed, you'll wind up in the "crack." The beds are only kept together by the sheet.

A sheet? I've never felt the middle. It feels like they put some type of foam over them or something so that you don't feel the crack. That makes me want to tear apart the bed on our upcoming cruise to see what they do. (The room steward will really wonder what type of night we had :eek:)

In all the photos I've seen of them pushed together, they're always in the middle. I assumed it's because it's easier for the steward to make up the bed that way.

Oh, well our cabin steward ask us how we'd like it and he even put them back to normal during the day when he made the bed. We told him there was no need for that so he finally stopped doing it. :) We never spend much time in the cabin other than to sleep, change clothes and shower. So we didn't want him to have to do more work than needed. I know these guys work very hard.

Try the beds both ways! Can't see why the cabin stewards would mind.

Agreed. I'm sure they won't mind at all. Excellent suggestion! :)

Keep in mind that if you plan on pushing them together and sleeping in the middle of the newly-bigger bed, you'll wind up in the "crack." The beds are only kept together by the sheet.

They are not kept together by a sheet. They have something they put in the gap and then a foam or pillowtop that is queen size. When we stayed in an inside, you could never tell where the middle was.;)

I’m a solo cruiser and I prefer the beds separated. It does make the cabin feel larger. I like using one bed as a day lounger and the other as my nighttime bed. I really look forward to sleeping in a twin on my cruises--comfortable, childhood memories :); and it‘s the only time I can safely say ‘with my back against the wall’ is a good thing (I like that snug feeling of the twin bed open on one side and wall on the other side). I’ve never noticed that a twin is smaller on a cruise ship.

Nine times out of ten when I open the cabin door the beds are together even if I've been told my ressie is noted as apart. All the stewards say we assumed since you’re traveling alone you would like one bed. Damn that word assume! ;) No problem though. Your cabin steward will set you up whichever way you prefer.

Enjoy your first solo cruise, seluased!!

When do you make the request for the beds to be pushed together? Do hubby and I have to do it ourselves when we first get to our rooms, or can we ask in advance to have it made up as a queen so that when we DO get to our room its already done?

Archived