Egypt and The Holy Land

I am tempted by the July 2013 cruise on the Celebration to Egypt and the Holy Land. The price looks reasonable at the moment with a free AI package thrown in but before committing myself I'm wondering if anyone has done this cruise before? Is Egypt too hot this time of the year? I'm not aware of any other cruise lines that visit Egypt in the middle of the summer.

I am tempted by the July 2013 cruise on the Celebration to Egypt and the Holy Land. The price looks reasonable at the moment with a free AI package thrown in but before committing myself I'm wondering if anyone has done this cruise before? Is Egypt too hot this time of the year? I'm not aware of any other cruise lines that visit Egypt in the middle of the summer.

Thomson haven't in the past operated this itinerary in July, instead just May and June & September and October, probably because of the heat in Egypt. 2013 will be the first year that they are operating it in July and August. Not done this itinerary myself I'm afraid so I can't comment further regarding it. :)

I love Egypt it is an amazing place to see. Having been there many times and completed a nile cruise, I would say that if you want to see the sights comfortably then I would not recommend July....... Its Hot Hot Hot! Especially in the City areas you would be visiting for excursions. Depends if you can handle the heat, if you are taking children or wanting to take excursions. Best time in the area is as sailaway487 says May/June or Sep/Oct. I am booked on my first Thomson Cruise April 13 Red Sea Magic and cannot wait. Little earlier in the year than I would have liked but Petra is a must.

Sparkeygirl

There is no way I would go to Egypt in the summer. We have only ever been January to March and the temperatures range from 80-100 then.:eek:.

However what I will say is, if you don't mind hot weather Egypt is far more comfortable than Spain etc. as there is no humidity.

Thank goodness it wasn't that bad when we were there in April last year, we'd have died :eek:

Berwyn

36 hours after arriving home we were back at B'ham for flight for one day trip to Reykjavik :D:D:eek:, where it was 11c, so managed to cool down a little.

We're confined to school holidays (my wife is a teacher) and so this one looked appealing. Not sure about the heat, though, but perhaps it will make up for this year's miserable summer!

We are off on that very tour on the 17th Sep this year and we will be doing the Pyramidsb and Nile cruise. Can't wait, this will be our first cruise. We were surprised not to be able to track the Celebration on live ships yesterday and Friday. We had been able to track her earlier. Does anybody know why she isn't showing on the web site at the moment?

We are off on that very tour on the 17th Sep this year and we will be doing the Pyramidsb and Nile cruise. Can't wait, this will be our first cruise. We were surprised not to be able to track the Celebration on live ships yesterday and Friday. We had been able to track her earlier. Does anybody know why she isn't showing on the web site at the moment?

Sometimes they don't have their tracker switched on and if she is in the Red Sea area (not at the moment of course!) there is never a signal - don't know why that is.

She's at Ag Nik now- with today's date and timed at 05.31

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?oldmmsi=249544000&zoom=10&olddate=lastknown

Do you normally manage to pull her up ok on this site? I find the Thomson ships don't always come up on the simple 'Search' function.

Someone once posted a process to help if they don't come up. Sounds a bit long-winded but works - as long as the tracker is on!

Go to 'Gallery'

'Search photos'

Type in ship's name in 'Vessel's name' search box and 'Search'

Click on Ship's name

Then under 'Last Position Received' click on Latitude/Longitude and she should appear (but it MAY just be out of date if the tracking is off - it usually is in port of course but also sometimes when at sea).

If we're going away I take a particular interest in the ship's position in the week before travel after we once arrived at Harwich to find no ship!! :eek:

Enjoy your trip - not long now! :)

We're confined to school holidays (my wife is a teacher) and so this one looked appealing. Not sure about the heat, though, but perhaps it will make up for this year's miserable summer!

I see Thomson have this cruise beginning Monday 27 May 13 which I think is spring bank holiday, and not so expensive either but of course arrives back the next Monday (school day)

Im doing it - in august! doing B2B ancient wonders then Egypt and holy land - our egypt week will begin 19th aug.... its going to be VERY hot but cooler at the coast, and we can manage for one day in Cairo im sure.

Archived